Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exchange rate improving

Poster: A snowHead
Thats it the credit crunch is over www.moneycorp.com

Euro and CHF looking just a little better today and moving consistently (if slowly) in the right direction at last.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty,

Just ordered mine for 2 weeks time at 1.07 from travelex. Thats the highest I have seen for several weeks - bet it will recover to 1.2 + now Confused
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
According to the BBC last night the PIIGS are bringing the euro down

Portugal
Ireland
Italy
Greece
Spain
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Took a gamble but changed 30,000 euro to sterling this week at 1.065, way it is going might end it back next week Laughing Laughing . Still think there is lots and lots of bad news to come out of Europe. We may be forked here but Eurpoe is to but they just ain't told no one. Mr Brown is far to honest.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Recovery against the Euro (interbank rate now 1.13) seems better than the Swiss franc though (now 1.67) Where am I going at half term, of course, Switzerland.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was right to wait then. About time I was right about something... Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B, 1.67 is better than 1.55 a couple of weeks ago. I won't pretend to understand any of it but considering the state of the PIGS I sense that sterling was traded down rather than neccesarily being any worse than these other countries.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B, 1.684 now.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't get me wrong Swiss is improving (thankful for small mercies) but not as sharply as the Euro. My 6 day Zermatt pass will still cost £250+ Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, ouch Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some of the PIGS might have to consider leaving the Euro....which will in the long term strenghten it... but in the meantime, it will destroy the currency's credibilty so I'd expect that to tumble...

Interesting times for the Euro... our problems revolve around how much debt we can finance..and it is a fine line between how much we take on. Brown's mistake was running too high a deficit for way too long so he has less room now to cope.....and he can't blame that on world events..he alone decided to spend,spend, spend for nigh on 10 years
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I may be wrong about this as I'm not clued up on finance but I think the Swiss Banks committed themselves to intervene for the first time ever on 28 Jan - the strength of the CHF is a problem as Switzerland gets half its money from exports which are obviously not so attractive to other countries now. And I bought our lift passes on line last week for fear the rate would get even worse so the pound/franc rate is bound to soar now.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AW wrote:
I may be wrong about this as I'm not clued up on finance but I think the Swiss Banks committed themselves to intervene for the first time ever on 28 Jan - the strength of the CHF is a problem as Switzerland gets half its money from exports which are obviously not so attractive to other countries now. And I bought our lift passes on line last week for fear the rate would get even worse so the pound/franc rate is bound to soar now.
Now you mention it, I did notice swiss rolls, and army knives were getting dearer in my local supermarket Sad

We are off to Switzerland 1/2 term week. If you have managed to do what Mr Brown and Mr Darling could not do, that is cause the pound/franc rate to soar by the purchase of lift passes on line. Thank you very much. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gordon Clown is the only man in the world whose surname only has 4 letters even though it looks like it has 5...at least the first one is correct.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ehhh?!!!

4 letters? 5 letters? 1st one is correct?

What's all that about then? All too clever for me I'm afraid - but then again my first name has 4 letters....
snow report
Bank of England may reduce interest rates further on Thursday, I'm hedging and buying Euro's for half term trip on Tuesday Toofy Grin
latest report
Boredsurfing, Yes, Monday to Wednesday could prove interesting. You are worried thinking of hedging lift passes, think how I feel hedging 30,000............ Shocked
snow report
thefatcontroller, That's easy I would leave it in France Toofy Grin I've bought my annual passes, I'm only talking loose change for the week Very Happy
snow report
Gotta agree with under a new name CLOWN is absolutely right Toofy Grin but why are you guys still slush skiing Europe when Canada is SO SO MUCH BETTER Very Happy Better snow! Better exchange rate and MUCH MUCH CHEAPER than Europe. There are some great deals here right now plus EMPTY RUNS and NO LIFT QUEUES and even if there were the skiers here are polite and DO NOT RUN OVER YOUR SKIS OR TRY AND PUSH PAST YOU. We even have Kleenex at the bottom of every lift!!!
www.ski-kimberley.com Very Happy
snow report
ski kimberley, It isn't cheaper at all.

Once we get there, eating and accommodation may be cheaper. But even at current exchange rates, I think North American lift passes are still usually more expensive than their European counterparts. And the cost of flying over the Atlantic usually outweighs other savings.

The rest of the benefits you mention are enough that many of us will ski over thehre when we can afford it, but it is not often reasonably possible.
snow report
And there are tissues at the bottom of some runs in Mayrhofen, anyone been in Vogel's Nest recently?
ski holidays
ski kimberley, what slush !!!
latest report
ski kimberley, what tosh !!!
latest report
ski kimberley wrote:
Gotta agree with under a new name CLOWN is absolutely right Toofy Grin but why are you guys still slush skiing Europe when Canada is SO SO MUCH BETTER Very Happy Better snow! Better exchange rate and MUCH MUCH CHEAPER than Europe. There are some great deals here right now plus EMPTY RUNS and NO LIFT QUEUES and even if there were the skiers here are polite and DO NOT RUN OVER YOUR SKIS OR TRY AND PUSH PAST YOU. We even have Kleenex at the bottom of every lift!!!
www.ski-kimberley.com Very Happy

...and in the interests of full disclosure would you care to identify that the main reason Kimberley has empty slopes and no lift queues is that its very limited indeed? Oh & I skied boot high mush there one March starting at about 9am.

I can only assume you are actually a troll.
snow report
ski kimberley, As part of RCR, I'm returning to Fernie in 10 days time, after a 4 year gap. My observations is the dire exchange rate now compared to 4 years ago when I got 2.25 CDN$ to the £. More disappointing though which RCR is directly responsible for though, is firstly the lift ticket price, at about $84 per day. What is really annoying is there is no multi-day discount available, so as I'm there for 13 days, it's 13 x $84, which is ridiculous. Secondly RCR are not offering any reduction on ticket prices for CSIA or BASI Ski Instructors, something again I believe is new for this season. Most other resorts in Canada offer either free or 50% reduction for Instructors.
Fortunately I've managed to pre-book our lift passes with our tour operator, at an almost affordable price, certainly considerably less than the rates in resort.

Better snow than Europe at the moment? I don't think so.
Empty runs and no queues? yes.
Polite skiers? Yes.
Reasonable prices for food & drink? Yes and good quality.

Am I going to have a good time? Yes.
ski holidays
£ very strong today against Euro. Interesting Puzzled
snow report
I noticed that too. A nice little leap.
snow conditions
Mmm. Shall I buy a few for next trip, or wait a bit longer...? [Edit: Rhetorical question. Whatever I do will turn out to be the wrong thing, I expect.]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, You a gambler?
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, no, not at all.
snow report
Hurtle, Thought not wink . Its a case then of were you happy yesterday to buy your euros? Well if so today you will get a few more, which is nice. Interest rate decison from us tomorrow, everyone is expecting .5 of a drop and I bet that was priced in. Think the drop today was because an influential 'think tank' have questioned the basis for any further interest rates drops in the UK. Market now wondering will we get a drop tomorrow.

As in all these cases completley ignore what I suggest as the opposite will happen. Laughing
latest report
I bought on Monday at 1.09 so it will undoubtably go up over the next few days.
snow conditions
The £ held all its gain against the Euro today. Lets see what tomorrows interest rate decision brings Cool
snow report
have to confess i get more excited about reduction in my mortgage than the increased cost of my ski holiday - the french mortgage coming down to Cool
ski holidays
I skied Kimberley a few years ago -we had a day trip when we stayed at Fernie. I must say I found the runs absolutely boring -Fernie was a different story - quite enjoyed that -but give me Zermatt, the Dolomites,Grimentz,Andermatt etc anyday - better food,better terain and certainly this year better snow. If anyone doubts me take a look at the Piste map -all the runs look the same -hence the boredom. Sad
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, seconded!!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
dan100, ditto...half a percent on my mortgage translates to about three days' lunch on the mountain...so no worries as far as exchange rate goes Smile
snow report
snowbandit, Agree re Kimberley - its not a transatlantic destination resort unless you have a young family or are beginners. Fernie is a different story if you're prepared to get into the nooks and crannies - it'll never have the vert of Gemstock or Zermatt or a bowl the size of Grimentz but there is certainly enought ot keep a non-piste skier entertained for a while.
snow conditions
£ holding this morning. Lets see what 12noon brings with the interest rate announcment. If .5% not given expect all hell to break loose.
latest report
I spoke at length to some currency bods yesterday and they're expecting it to be all over the place, probably between 1.06 and 1.13, for quiet a while. The anticipation is that the Euro will then weaken significantly against the pound in the final quarter of 2009 to sit around the 1.20 to 1.25 mark. One of the key issues as they see it is not that we (the UK) are in a lot more troble than everyone else, it's more that we spend a lot of time and energy shouting about it. Problems with the PIIGS will dent the Euro later in the year but falling German and French exports will also have a big impact.
Our time will come ... oh yes! NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy