Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going by coach...

Poster: A snowHead
Off France tonight via coach for a long weekend riding Meribel with my best beloved. Anyone got any pearls of wisdom for surviving a 13-hour overnighter from Victoria to Bride-le-Bains?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Richard_Sideways, 13 hours on a coach, I guess there are worse ways Shocked Having never done it, I would guess extra cushions are a must plus blindfold and earplugs? and some Night Nurse to knock you out completely Toofy Grin

Please update us on how it went on your return Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know why the coach thing is bothering me, i've flown long haul to USA and CAN before now. Can't complain really, 3 days inc. lift pass and half-board accom. for under £300. Will report back on Tuesday. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
just hope there is no traffic coming out of london and you make your crossing slot, because if its busy and you cant get the next one you will spend five hours waiting for another one like we did, if 13hrs on a coach is no fun, just imagine what 18hrs is like!

But as for helpful tips, depends on whether you find it easy to sleep on coaches or not, I would recommend bringing a pillow as the free things they give you are a bit rubbish, apart from that my ninendo ds was key! But I don't think i'll be doing it again in a hurry!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haven't done coach travel for years, but pillow advice is good - a bunched up ski jacket doesn't do the job as well.
Toothbrush and toothpaste handy also helps make you feel human again for that 6am stop.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pillow definitely, plus a couple of small cushions or blow up ones to stuff under knees, behind back or whatever and one of those small thin, but warm fleece blankets you often see in filling stations. A shaped neck pillow is handy too, I prefer the squidgy ones to the blow up versions. Oh and babywipes to add to the toothpaste. They are often cheaper and better than "wetwipes".

Of course you won't have the added bonus I had on the overnighters I used to do - 40 schoolkids Shocked Shocked. I don't do sea crossings well and the little treasures would keep coming up to me, in my chosen hidey spot on the boat "you ok miss, you do look green?" "we're off for a fryup (5am!) miss, are you coming". They were told generally to "go away!" and leave "miss" alone thank you!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

on the overnighters I used to do - 40 schoolkids

Do you want to re-phrase that wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, Toofy Grin

I would recommend valium! The coach operators are pretty switched onto the tunnel delays and know that if they are going miss their booked slot, they just head for the ferry crossing instead. this can be a good break point for the journey - an opportunity to get up, stetch you legs, grab something to eat / drink and tehn when you get back to the coach it's sleep time ..... so don't take the valium until you get to the other side of the channel!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pillow and if you don't mind them earplugs and eyemask.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Nope! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Butterfly wrote:
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Nope! wink

Fnar... Fnar... Wish I'd been in your class miss! Little Angel

I did the SW coach thing in '05 Long journey and little sleep, didn't feel very refreshed when we got there, in reality wanted to get a few hours kip but overall hasn't scarred me. I'd do it again for a weekend, in fact I'm off to Cham with them in 3 weeks but this time for 10 days so the coach journey is a small sacrifice for the cost and potential carbon saving!!!

Like others have said, pillow is key and if you get the chance book the club seats..

Probably useless info now though as you left last night! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarep wrote:
Boris, The coach operators are pretty switched onto the tunnel delays and know that if they are going miss their booked slot, they just head for the ferry crossing instead.

Not when I went with skiweekends, we went in the middle of february, obviously a busy time with school holidays which was to be expected, however what was unexpected was their lack of a backup plan as to what to do. No free tunnel slot till 2am, so that's what we did, wait, for 5hours until one became available. All because they didn't account for traffic coming out of london at rush hour!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways, I've done that trip a couple of times and found it fine - mine was with ski-weekends.com (I assume yours is as well). It is well worth the upgrade for the extra leg-room option. As others have said, pillow, blanket, snacks, ipod etc etc are all worth taking. Both times I did it, both directions it was quiet and I managed to get enough sleep - and found that the journey goes really quickly, you'll have no problems.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went with Snowcoach a couple of years running. Agree with Ray Zorro on suggestions of things to take but would add an extra pair of socks to put on when you get on the coach plus one of those blow up neck supports. I found any discomfort was outweighed by the benefit of getting to ski soon after arrival. Everybody tends to be so tired on the return trip you'll sleep through anything. Enjoy.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I often went by coach on Uni trips from Cambridge. Can't say I enjoyed being couped up uncomfortably for over a day but in those days it was a means to an end, an almost affordable way to get to the Alps. Nowadays I always fly. I just want to get there as quick as poss...
ski holidays
Have coached it from Bushmills (N. Coast of Ireland) to Les Carroz. Took 2 days and it was fine. I was 14 though
ski holidays
Yep, all of the above, esp wine, baby wipes and toothpaste and brush, plus - for the women more than the men - if practicable, using toilets at the coach stops rather than on board as it can get a bit messy and above all, wear your seatbelt at all times (though obv not if visiting the loo) as road accidents do happen no matter how good your driver is. A lovely hostess who worked with Snowcoach died a few years back as a result of an accident on a German motorway. And if the ferry is involved, on the way home (nothing to look forward to etc.) book in for a Buck's Fizz brekkie in the restaurant, it really lifts the spirits even if it is a little expensive.
ski holidays
Back in the land of ice and snow that is Central London (really what has happened??? I leave you guys alone for 5 minutes! Laughing ) Trip was good. Coach ride not as traumatic as i was expecting. Yes was with skiweekends.com. Had about 30 or so on board. Had paid the extra £25 for the "business class" seats with extra leg room and recline and not sorry i did. Slept ok eventually on way out and would agree that a bottle of the old Vin Rouge would've made going to sleep a little easier (one for next time). The 2 drivers we had were great. Did get us on the earlier return train and almost got us on the earlier outbound train (5 mins earlier and we'd have made it but got trapped by officious-type at the barriers who said that we'd need at least 30 minutes to do a full passport check so said No. Took about 10 seconds in reality as anyone who's experienced french passport control at the eurostar terminal will know. For those who recommended the neck supports/pillows, they're given out on the trip now as a courtesy.

Meribel was in good condition if a little icy in places, could do with some fresh. Lots of people staying down in Brides-les-Bains this year - Meribel too pricy now perhaps?

Over all? Good I say and would recommend it £330 for 3 days inc. lift pass (Meribel valley only) and half board is ok in my book. Perhaps Chamonix next year...

...off to prep. for visit to Flaine in 4 weeks time now Toofy Grin
snow report
I did a coach to La Plagne once and would never, ever do it again. You can add 5 hours to your journey time if there is snow on the roads of France. I would far rather drive myself or fly. That said, we didn't have pillows or bigger seats but it was the boredom that got me.

Got a long weekend coming up soon, £350 all in, but flying LST - GNV. Leave slopes at 4pm, home in Chelmsford by 9pm.
snow conditions
I have not been on the coach for a long time but top tip used to be to fight like crazy to get on first and get to two of the front seats of double decker coach so that you can recline in comfort with lots of space and no reclining seat in front of you. Once went by coach from London to Andorra which was plenty far enough.......
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy