Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 04/02-07/02- Was planning on Cairngorm,but not sure ........

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
My family have booked 3 nts in Aviemore for next Wednesday and were planning on going to Cairngorm.
It looks like it may be pretty blustery and was wondering if they should consider either The Lecht or Glenshee instead ?

As far as I can tell it's only about 30-40 km from Aviemore to Glenshee, less for The Lecht.

So,I've got a few questions if someone can help me out !

Which would be the best resort for both a boarder and skier ?(both good intermediate/advance level)

What are the roads like from Aviemore to each of the ski areas. This is a worry as they will be in a VW Golf and don't want to get stuck in a snow drift !

Pros and cons for each area, which is best value for money etc.

Think that's it !

Your opinions please Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The route I would take from aveimore to Glenshee would involve driving straight past the Lecht. If the roads are bad (they may be given the forecast for next week) then the roads up to and down from the lecht may be dodgy. An alternative may be to drive to Nevis if wind are better there.

Bear in mind that the train at Cairngorm can run in pretty high wind levels, though you may end up with having to ski just off the train. Still gives access to some decent runs and midweek shouldn't be too busy.
latest report
 brian
brian
carla, tricky.

Lecht is fairly limited terrain. Glenshee has a good bit more size and variety but it is a deceptively long way on very high, exposed and potentially snowy roads. tbh, I would think they'd be as well sticking with Cairngorm where at least they'd have the train to shelter in on the way up !

Since the weather is forecast to be coming from a generally east or north east direction next week, it may actually be worth their while heading West down Glen Spean to ski at Nevis where the chances of fresh snow will be a lot less but the chances of seeing beyond the end of your nose will probably be enhanced.

It's a bit further but quite a fast (and very scenic if the weather is at all clear) road. Probably take about the same time as driving to Glenshee.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the speedy replies,really appreciated.

Hadn't thought of Nevis,so will have a look at a website for a bit more info.

Hopefully they can stick with Cairngorm,but good to have a plan B !

Thanks again
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeah nevis is easier and probably quicker to get to than glenshee, probabaly more reliable too. There wont be much at the moment, but there is rumoured to be a dump coming maybe tues / weds next week - fingers crossed for you. If your into offpiste nevis is pretty goood too
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm gunna be staying in Glasgow on Friday night, then have accomm in Aviemore Sat onwards... we're thinking that a trip to Nevis/Glencoe might be in order on the Saturday before heading over to the 'gorm on Sat night - it was free accomm so we're kinda fixed with Aviemore so will have to see what happens regardless! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MoodyFFS, Where in Glasow are you stayinh.If it is the west end and you need some restaurant or pub advice then I can advise.

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
glasgowcyclops, no idea! An old school friend lives and teaches there now! should be a night and a good start to wild weekend... In case my Mrs is ready this, I mean cos of the weather! Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MoodyFFS, I can recommend a few good curry places (wee curry shop bottom of Byres road) but perhaps not the best food the night before skiing. Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with the advice above, I'd consider Nevis for sure but keep an eye on what happenns this week because the west might take a battering, it might also have a pasting of snow but it's all a bit up in the air at the moment.

Over the course of this week there's going to be high winds, rain and some potentially big dumps of snow too so how the mix of weather will leave the various ski areas is anyones guess at the moment but the biggest gainers or loosers could be in the west, we'll just have to wait and see!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy