Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie - daft question..AGAIN

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya Guys

Just wondering for 7 days in Niederau, how much cash will I need? I am staying Half Board and have pre paid for lift pass and ski hire.

I know its difficult cause its all down to the individual but looking for general rule of thumb!

Thanks again... NehNeh
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The way i always do it is write out a list of all the major expenses (food, drink, entertainment, equipment, lift pass) and then add 20% for safety. Thats the only rule of thumb i use and i always have the back up credit cards and the cash points.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends whether you will be nicking breakfast to picnic on the slopes, or eating in the nicest mountain-top restaurants, or eating Spag Bog in a mountain-top cafe with 5 pints of beer.

Anything between virtually nothing and really rather a humungous amount.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski and boot hire costs and lift pass prices can be found online. After that, it's beer, coffee and lunch money, and the cost of wine with your half board dinner. Your guess is as good as mine, depends if you are an enthusiastic luncher and/or swiller, but I'd say a rock bottom minimum of £25/day unless you're really, really trying to keep costs down, more like double that if you don't want to be counting the Groschen (as they still call them) all the time.

If you're in a chalet or chalet hotel, you'll have to factor in a dinner out one evening, and you may need sustenance en route from and to and/or at the airport.

You may find you need a few incidentals like sun stuff, lip stuff and the odd bit of kit, all of which will be hideously overpriced, at least 3 times as much as you think they could possibly be.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 29-01-09 17:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kookie30, when we stay half board, depending on the company and how much alcohol will be consumed wink , I reckon about £150. You can always get more out from a cash point if you need it or if you don't use it all keep it to the next trip. It is only lunch and drinks you'll be paying for really.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
richmond wrote:
Ski and boot hire costs and lift pass prices can be found online. After that, it's beer, coffee and lunch money, and the cost of wine with your half board dinner. Your guess is as good as mine, depends if you are an enthusiastic luncher and/or swiller, but I'd say a rock bottom minimum of £25/day unless you're really, really trying to keep costs down, more like double that if you don't want to be counting the Groschen (as they still call them) all the time.

Good grief!!!

I've hardly ever through that much (remembering she has already pre-paid for her lift pass & equipment hire) as a daily average over a week's holiday.

Although it will be more expensive due to exchange rate this year, it would always have been a fairly rare day that I spent much more than €20.

Excluding lift pass, I don't think I have ever taken more than €150 cash out during the week. Which last year would have been about £110, this year will be around £150.

But I don't drink heavily - 2-3 large beers is as much as I usually have in an evening (including what I have with dinner). And for lunch it is usually a bowl of gulasche soup (€3-5) or a fairly cheap main course plate (€8-12).

I'm not saying you can't reasonably spend more, but I don't think £25 per day is really a "rock bottom minimum". And I would have to be really trying hard to spend twice that.

But as you say, it is impossible to say for somebody else, because we just don't know what she will want to eat or drink, or where.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kookie30, As you say, it is very much down to the individual.

You will want lunch every day, which can be anything from about €3 for a bowl of soup (Gulasche soup is a very filling stew) up to €15-20 for a decent two course meal. Or you can make a packed lunch from the breakfast buffet if the hotel allow it.

You are also likely to want occasional coffee/hot chocolate stops during the day, and a hot drink will usually set you back roughly the same (sometimes a little less) as a large beer - which was usually around €3 last time I was there.

Other than that, there is nothing you need and TBH not much apart from ski gear in Neiderau that you can spend much on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys - that has helped cause it now gives me an idea of what lunch will cost and I can add beer money on top of that lol.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kookie30,

I eat and drink well. Just spent £300.00 in Selva. Could probabloy do it for less than £250.00 in Austria.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perhaps I was being a bit pessimistic. I like to (and the OL insists that we) stop for a mid morning and quite possibly a mid afternoon drinkette, and if the weather is warm or I'm working hard, an extra rehydration stop or two may be in order (non alcoholic during the day, but that doesn't seem to make it cheaper). A large beer or two immediately after the last run, a little something (or two) for the tonsils before dinner, a decentish bottle over dinner and another drink afterwards, it all mounts up. Soup and a salad at lunch, perhaps a shared germknodel if I'm feeling particularly greedy, and we're probably over the £30 mark. Someone who took their sluicing more seriously than I do could rack up £50 with little effort, I reckon.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Modest lunch in mountain restaurant €15
Drinks in the evening - if you are lucky €10
Coffee stops €7

So, about €22/day - less if you picnic. Less if you drink water. More if you have to buy something you have forgotten. More if you go out clubbing.

All that's theory. In practice, I would rejoice at spending but £25 a day.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Modest lunch in mountain £15

quiet night in bar 2/3 beers £12

Spotting an ESF instructor fall over.. priceless!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pielot, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, sounds a bare minimum to me.

Half board does not usually include booze with evening meal, I would reckon £30-40 a day - and more if I have to buy presents for kids and wife if I am going without them - and more still if their are snowHeads around. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
if it is same price as alpe d'huez, this is what is realistic then

£6 - £7 beer
£4.50 coke
£8 - £12 whisky n coke
£20 per head for cheapo starter & pizza
£30 - £40 per head for decent 2 - 3 course dinner
£10 - £15 for lunch, not including drink

after buying 2 burgers and chips, a whisky and coke, coffee and two diet cokes for lunch, costing £45, put us off and we took packed lunch after that - and so was everyone else, it was like a big picnic ground on the mountain at lunchtime.

it is not cheap to eat or drink out, probably why during xmas week in alpe d'huez it was like a ghost-town in pubs and restaurants
snow report
innerspaceservices wrote:
if it is same price as alpe d'huez, this is what is realistic then

It isn't.

There have been many previous threads on this, and the general consensus is that the mega French resorts are well overpriced, and costs will usually be higher than even the mega resorts in places like Austria or Italy.

Once you are talking a small resort like Neiderau, prices are lower again than even the large Austrian resorts.

The prices you posted are way over the top for Neiderau.
latest report
alex_heney, I agree. Lunch in Courchevel 2 weeks ago was easily £20 for a simple dish, a coke and a coffee. I'd expect it be about £10 in Austria for a Groestl or goulash soup and coke.
snow conditions
alex_heney,

£20 a day ?? A small round can cost that in Europe !!
snow report
cathy, it was significantly cheaper having a simple dish and one glass of wine! wink wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, indeed! wink I'm not so hard-core unfortunately to be able to take advantage of such offers Toofy Grin

Although I did have a glass with lunch at Bel Air - and I didn't fall over afterwards!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
cathy,
Quote:

hard-core

Moi?! Shocked

On the other hand, I don't actually remember whether I fell over post-Bel Air... Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
Hurtle, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Kookie30,

Hi,

In Niederau - 6 day lift pass is 150 euros.

Prices are pretty cheap compared with top resorts.

Lunch is about 5-6 euros. Beer very similar prices to over here.- abou 2.50 -3 euros ( spirits expensive in bars)

Wine and spirits in local supermarket - great value.

It makes a big difference when the shops are for the local Austrians, and not just there to rip off the visiting skiers.

Niederau is a great place to learn - you will love it.
latest report
dsoutar wrote:
alex_heney,

£20 a day ?? A small round can cost that in Europe !!

I don't think of about 7 large beers as being a "small round", and that is about what it would be in Neiderau.

As I said in another post in the thread, it would cost a lot more in one of the mega resorts in France, but it is Neiderau we are talking about here (and IME other Austrian resorts too).

As has also been said, it is very much going to depend on the individual/group concerned.

If you are in a group of half a dozen or more, and each buy a round every night, then yes you are talking €20 per night just on drinks, and your overall average over the week will be much more than €20 per day. But that would be a lot more than some people want to drink, particularly on a ski holiday. If you only have a couple of beers per night, then an overall average of €20 per day is definitely acheivable in the smaller Austrian resorts.
snow conditions
I'm moving out there, I can barely buy a round of 7 drinks for that down my local !!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy