Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Claviere: where to head for first?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So there we are, Monday morning, kids dropped off in ski school, we've got a piste map but have never been here before - what should we start off with?

Or ... there we are, Sunday afternoon, transfer went smoothly and I've perusaded one or two of the other lads to leave the kids with the womenfolk and get a pass for a couple of hours... we've got a piste map but have never been here before - what should we start off with?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
up to col saurel and muck about on the variety of pistes there... sangalonga is especially good. pm me and i'll send you a map i've done for a mate who went recently. it's got pointers on it.

Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ta.

PM sent.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
no worries. map sent Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
actually, is there anyway of uploading it onto this site so as other folk can use it?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks - it looks like a really useful map.

I like the idea of uploading piste maps, supplemented with local knowledge, onto the site.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Higs, agreed about annotated piste maps.

The area isn't huge, so by the end of the week I imagine you'll have found most of the best places.

My favourites include

1. Rocher d'Aigle, Montgenevre. Piste 'Soureou' under the chairlift. Also the run all the way from the top of Rocher d'Aigle towards Claviere is good fun.
2. Vallon de Baises, Montgenevre. Reached from Serre Thibaud and Alpet on the Chalvet side. Under and around the Rocher Rouge chair.
3. Chalvet, Montgenevre. Take either red down from the summit of Chalvet.

Not all the best places to start, but places to check out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey, how is the ski school in Claviere? I'm heading there at the end of Feb with my 2 kids, 4 and 6, who are total beginners... Do the instructors speak English? How are your kids liking it so far? Thanks!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
simclark, Instruction is fine - no-one had problems while we were there. The only pain is that if you are travelling with Crystal, the lessons are about 11.30 for 2.5 hours - makes it a pain to do much else in the day I am afraid.

Higs, WOuld agree with the first day selection. Depending on which lift pass you have, second day I would head to Sansicario if you have the Via Lattea pass, or Montgenevre (main area) if you have the Mont Lunes pass.

Make sure you use your free day in the rest of the Milky Way though.

Enjoy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
simclark wrote:
Hey, how is the ski school in Claviere? I'm heading there at the end of Feb with my 2 kids, 4 and 6, who are total beginners... Do the instructors speak English? How are your kids liking it so far? Thanks!

Our kids (age 5) loved Claviere ski school, preferring it to ESF (in Le Grand Bornand) though to be fair there are so many factors involved you obviously can't directly compare one against the other.

The instructors speak very good English, to the extent that when the staff at the hire place next to the ski school struggle to understand you they just nip next door and get one of the instructors to translate for them. I spoke with one of the instructors ('Net' or Ernesto) a few times and he was both competent and witty in English.

MrT is correct, the ski school times are from 11-1pm if booked through FirstChoice/Crystal. If ours weren't in the Crystal Kids Club (Whizz Club) this would have been a real pain but as it was it worked out really well. We dropped the kids off at 9ish, they played for a bit then the Whizz Club staff took them to ski school, picked them up and gave them lunch and we picked them up again at 2. Like the ski school, the kids really liked the Whizz Club and it seemed really well run.

A couple of random things which may help or not...
> they give the kids poles, which is different to our experience in France
> by then end of day three, all the kids (I think) were using the first chair lift (La Coche) and coming down the blue run back into town
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
simclark, went to Claviere NY 2007. Have mixed impressions of ski school. Daughter was on second ski holiday and at a good standard already (aged 6), and eldest son was on his second ski trip too (aged 9). Son liked daughter hated. Both were only English speaking kids in their groups - so probably better booking through Crystal thus increasing your chances of getting more UK kids. Daughter was in a group of 11/12 and we saw her crying one day as she was always left at the end with no instruction of what she should be doing, other than the occasional 'OK Rebecca?'. Took her out of ski school that day and got her 2 private lessons instead which were good. Beginners area not great, unless they've improved it since 07.
IME I would probably consider a priavte lesson or as I do now, get them lessons in UK before you go.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski wrote:
Beginners area not great, unless they've improved it since 07.

Beginners area still not great. I guess that's why they're up on the chair lift doing the La Coche blue so soon. Probably depends on the kids/beginner as to whether that's a good or bad thing!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy