Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheapest way to do a DIY weekend in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
So flights from the London airports to Geneva aren't a problem (I'm pretty flexible on dates).

Transfers to / from Geneva can usually be found at a reasonable cost (either shared minibus or bus/coach).

BUT - I'm struggling to find a decent deal on accomodation.

It'll be just myself and my g/f for a long weekend. Don't fancy sharing a chalet with lots of people I don't know (miserable, sod aren't I) - so a little B&B or self catered apartment would be ideal.

Went to Morzine last year and with a load of mates and really liked it - but weekend bookings were pretty much impossible, so we ended-up staying a week!

I'm not too fussed which resort I end-up at, as long as it's not too far from Geneva.

Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done tons of DIY weekends in the Alps (Chamonix, Alpe D'Huez, Garmisch, Saalbach and earlier this month had a great trip to Innsbruck.)
Each time I just book a cheap local hotel (found via the resort's general website).
The cheaper stuff is usually in the 35 to 55 Euro range and they're usually happy for you to just stay for a weekend (apart from Christmas/New Year). Got a half-board room in an Alpe D'Huez hotel for 50 Euros last year, and a B&B room in a really nice Innsbruck hotel for 39 Euros a couple of weeks back. It should work out quite a bit cheaper as you're sharing a room with your g/f (presumably!).
Good luck!
Neil
snow report
 brian
brian
abj, if you pick any of the Swiss resorts, the tourist offices will do the searching for you and come back with a list of offers. Just e-mail them, info@resortofchoice.ch . eg. info@verbier.ch info@champery.ch etc.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stayed at the Hotel St. Antoine in Les Houches (near Chamonix) over New Years last year. €55 for a double room. Room was huge, clean and excellent value. Ski bus stops across the street.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abj, I'm surprised that you had problems finding accommodation for weekends in Morzine - there's loads to be had.

Try:
- snowandtrek
- DallyPaul - who I'm pretty sure does nightly B&B (but I could be wrong)
- www.morzinelets.com - they apartments, but also run two hotels, which I'm sure do nightly B&B
- www.jollygood.com
- www.skiblueridge.com (Les Gets)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice, so far.

FlyingStantoni, maybe I'm being unlucky with my dates, but when I try MorzineLets (for example) for weekends in early-Feb, I just get error messages like: 'you can't book less than 4 nights if you're arriving on a Thursday', etc. Also the cheapest hotels they seem come-up with seem to be around £50 per person - with two of us that makes £100 a night. I might be being a bit tight - but this doesn't seem like a great deal Confused

It does seem that booking hotels in France ain't as easy as it could be!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abj, err, would that be the early February that's right at the start of the Vacances Scolaires when ALL the French go on holiday?? I think they start Feb 7...

1. you don't want to be there then anyway, definitely to be avoided and 2. you'll be lucky to find accomodation that isn't saturday-saturday if at all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

hat's right at the start of the Vacances Scolaires

Odd. When I looked up French hols - these came up as being late Feb.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like it's March then! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Early Feb, your could still look for sc accommodation through owners direct or chalets direct, etc. and make them an offer. Or pm snowheads with convenient places.

snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beequin, might be a plan. I checked the Morzine hotels in March - and it's the same story/price as Feb.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Back in the days before kids we used to use the Auberge Camelia outside Annecy for 3-5 day breaks. Hire a car from Geneva airport and it's less than an hour away. It's a clean and friendly place with really good food (or it was 5 years ago - we really must go back!)

Then each day (depending on what you fancy and Roger's recommendations) you can go somewhere different. The nearest resorts, about 35mins drive, are La Clusaz and Le Grand Bornand. For a drive of up to about an hour you can get to Flaine, Morzine, Megeve, Chamonix, Les Contamines etc etc - I'm sure there must be more.

If we had an afternoon return flight we'd normally ski in Le Grand Bornand in the morning, change in the car park and be parking the hire car within an hour of finishing skiing.

http://www.hotelcamelia.com/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abj, Have a look at the thread "Few more days in Morzine in February" posted in this forum earlier today.
I have answered with the dates we have rooms available in Feb and early March.

We can get a bit cheaper than £100 per night for 2 of you. B&B. If for 3 or more nights.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DallyPaul, thanks. I'll have a little look at flights and might drop you a PM.

By the way, how do the local school holidays work out in Feb? One website I looked at seemed to say that they started towards the end of the month, but it seems like this info might be wrong.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abj, http://www.education.gouv.fr/pid184/le-calendrier-scolaire.html?zone=12&annee=4

Feb 7 till Mar 9 - you need to check all three zones, although clearly the one with Paris in it is the worst (generally)
snow conditions
under a new name, thanks.
snow report
Les Gets. Loads of hotels, part of the PDS and the same transfer time from GVA as Morzine. Lovbely quiet place.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Specialman, nowhere is quiet in vacances scolaires, certainly not les gets Puzzled
latest report
post what you are looking for here and then sit back and wait.... as little as 10 mins in my experience!

http://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=1
snow report
ian010, just been looking at that recently - great idea. Hoping to bag a bargain there myself in March.

abj, The transfer element is potentially expensive for two people so try to get picked up as part of the deal. Book your flights to get the best deal and then leave it as long as possible before getting accom. Everyone will be keen to deal rather than have a vacancy. I wouldnt rule out chalets - some of the best deals to be had there. Easy enough to keep to yourselves apart from dinner.
latest report
Quote:

When I looked up French hols - these came up as being late Feb.

Shocked where did you look them up - there's plenty of accurate info about the French hols on snowheads. From 7 Feb for 4 weeks. So if you want to do France in March, wait till the weekend of 14 March (though that still won't be especially quiet).

Transfers are not that cheap. For example the SINGLE bus far from Geneva to Meribel is 75 euros. I know you don't want to go that far, but even at half that price it ain't cheap. No clear why you object to a chalet. Do you insist on knowing the other guests when you stay in a hotel?
snow report
under a new name, went at Easter and compared to La Plagne at the same time, was like a ghost town. Even when the French descended on it on the weekend and for the public holiday, it didn't seem that bad. Worst thing that happened was the cash machines running out of Euros Smile
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni wrote:
abj, I'm surprised that you had problems finding accommodation for weekends in Morzine - there's loads to be had.

Try:
- snowandtrek
- DallyPaul - who I'm pretty sure does nightly B&B (but I could be wrong)
- www.morzinelets.com - they apartments, but also run two hotels, which I'm sure do nightly B&B
- www.jollygood.com
- www.skiblueridge.com (Les Gets)

Morzinelets is a really good site-thanks Very Happy
snow report
pam w, managed to get a decent deal on a shared transfer last year - can't remember what I paid, but it wasn't expensive.

As for not wanting a catered chalet - no particular reason. I've done it before and it was fine. Just fancy doing it differently this time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy