Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lake Louise, anything to do bar ski?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm about to book 11 days in the fairmount in lake louise as it is 40% cheaper than booking 7 days, however I have looked at the prices of the lift passes and I'm not sure I can cover that for all 10 days for a family of four. If we do take a day or two off the slopes is there anything else in the resort to keep us occupied?
Although it may sound a stupid question I know Lake Louise is in the wilderness and I have slight concerns that hibernating dangerous wildlife may be coming round in mid to late March and with two young kids who like to go exploring is it something that should be crossing my mind?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sledging. A day trip to Banff. Skating. Snow-shoeing. Dog-sledding.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Soak in the hot springs? Wink

More seriously, snowshoe around the lake shore. Skating on the lake. Snowmibiling. etc.

And other snow activities. Ask at the concierge desk.

The only wildlife that hibernate are bears. Smile

Just make a lot of noise. They tend to escape than attack. (they prefer berry than kids)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ollski, can you not get a good deal staying in Banff instead? Plenty goes on there..

The bears won't come out till later so you should be safe.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd say stay in Banff too. More to do, Norquay about 15 mins away, Sunshine about 30, and Louise about 45 by ski bus which is free with your lift pass if you get the tri area one. Been there many times and love it. Theres the Fairmont Banff Springs for a similar class of hotel to the Fairmont in Lake louise (dead swanky gothic pile a little out of town) regular busses into town or a $10 cabride to the centre though think they have guest shuttle too. Not stayed there myself but have pressed my nose against the window urchin-like (actually have eaten there and the evening buffet was heart stoppingly good) Anyway Enjoy Alberta!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It only takes 15 minutes to walk to town from the Springs. The Rimrock on the hill is also of the same 'class' but it is further away. They do provide a free shuttle.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the evenings there's little to do except eat (well, if you wish) and drink. There is a horse drawn sleigh outing to some barn where you can line dance, but don't worry, it's easy to avoid. LL is not a happening place.

In the day, there's a bit more choice, as others have said.

For eating and/or drinking, try LL Station.

Personally, I prefer Banff, by miles, but LL is great if you want peace and quiet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
10 days in Lake Louise is a long time especially in late March. If you are lucky and get a dump of powder then LL is fantastic. If not however, it can be very icy especially on the front side. Canadian hotels are generally excellent and I would take the cheaper option of staying in Banff. From there, again dependent upon snow cover we had a great day dogsledding above Canmore. Do remember that all activities cost and an extra day on the hill would probably be cheaper than a day of activities off. The question is, are you wishing to get as much skiing in as possible, or is the hotel more important? There are lots of companies who do interesting guided walks or snow shoeing walks. we had a great day walking in Johnston Canyon with a well informed guide, and then we went up the Gondola at Sulphur mountain and to the Hot Springs. If you are out at LL and reliant on the bus, I believe that it no longer goes every day to Sunshine and Norquay. If the snow is not so good at Ll, it may still be good at Sunshine. You have far more options if you stay in Banff. We are off for our 4th time on 25 Feb, and we still get really excited at the prospect.We did Whistler last year and would not go back there. Keep an open mind about the bus ride to the slopes in Banff, go with the flow, and you'll have a great experience. If you are going to resent the fact that it is not a "ski in ski out" resort then your enjoyment will be limited.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were in LL for 5 days out of our holiday in early April. The snow was brilliant (no ice) all over the mountain. You can ice skate in front of the hotel on Lake Louise, go for walks - mind and wrap up warm though - and the hotel has a swimming pool and gym. As others have said, Banff is only 45 mins away in car/bus and is good for a couple of days out.

We stayed in both the fairmont LL and Banff Springs and thought the LL hotel was the better of the two - bigger rooms - although service, food and drink were just as good in each. The Banff Springs pool is better as well as it goes outside.

I'd stay in Banff when we go back though as there's just more to do, especially at night. The one thing that got boring at LL was having to eat in the same place - budget restricted that option - every night. Banff has plenty of restaurants, bars, shops etc. LL is good for making you concentrate on your skiing though Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly wrote:
We stayed in both the fairmont LL and Banff Springs

Oooh, get you wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ollski, you should be aware that (unless things have changed dramatically in the last 4 years) LL is just a small shopping mall (10 shops?) and a few hotels, plus the excellent LL Station bar and restaurant, grouped around a crossroads just off Highway 1. That is it, unless I've forgotten something. It's not really a town, barely a village. The Fairmont is a little way away (15 mins walk?) from the 'centre' of LL. It is a hideous hotel on the outside, a significant eyesore from up the mountain, but impressive and well appointed inside and in a superb location; if you stay there, the extra cost of a lake view room is worth it.

We had two very pleasant hols in LL, one at the Fairmont (or Chateau LL as it then was) and one at the LL Inn, which was fine, but then stayed in Banff for about 6 years (not full time, unfortunately, only 2 weeks/year!). As I said, for me Banff is greatly preferable as a place to stay while skiing, and I much prefer the Banff Springs Hotel to the Farimont LL. If you are going with kids, I'd definitely go for Banff; all the kids (and adults) I've been there with love it, and would have gone stir crazy in LL.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arv, it was free Very Happy get me even more!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
11 nights in Banff springs hotel is costing nearly 500 each so about 15 quid each extra. from the general concensus I take it that is probably worth it. Is the green / blue skiing available for the wife and kids and the whole banff area generally good for quite unconfident skiers?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paul.kin wrote:
...it can be very icy especially on the front side.
Rather unusual for a resort where the temperature rarely rises above -10C...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ollski wrote:
11 nights in Banff springs hotel is costing nearly 500 each so about 15 quid each extra. from the general concensus I take it that is probably worth it. Is the green / blue skiing available for the wife and kids and the whole banff area generally good for quite unconfident skiers?

Yes, definitely worth it.

Take advantage of the excellent ski schools there.Smile
snow report
Ditto. If you stay in LL the ski bus service is extremely limited to get to Sunshine.

Sunshine Village has some nice gentle runs, Norquay has more steep runs. The Sunshine Village Ski School has a good reputation or there is the Club Ski programme of 3 days tuition with the same instructor, one day each in LL, Sunshine and Norquay.
snow report
Ski schools at Sunshine are really good. And theres plenty of greens and blues that offer good progression so you're not stuck doing the same runs over and over.

Think i'm right in saying that both Sunshine and Louise also offer a free tour guide service meeting up by the ski school for people and show them around the mountain. I usually spend most my time at Sunshine, Goats-eye (one of the peaks at sunshine) can offer some good blacks... Of course for the brave theres Delirium Dive (when it's open see thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=12892). Deep envy as am not venturing beyond a week in Euroland this year. And do check out Johnstons Canyon if you fancy a day off - the Ice falls at the end are well worth it.
snow report
ollski wrote:
11 nights in Banff springs hotel is costing nearly 500 each so about 15 quid each extra. from the general concensus I take it that is probably worth it.

Yes, definitely. It's a very jolly place, bit big, but friendly and with excellent facilites. You need to indulge in the buffet dinner in the Bow Valley Grill. Excellent value, good grub (unless things have changed).

Quote:
Is the green / blue skiing available for the wife and kids and the whole banff area generally good for quite unconfident skiers?

Yes. All 3 ski areas have something for everyone. The ski school at Sunshine is generally excellent, and there's a 'program' involving skiing with the same instructor at the three areas on different days, can't remember what it's called, but it gets excellent reviews and would be a good way for unconfident skiers to get to know each area a bit without the trouble of arranging seperate lesons.

Almost all lifts have easy routes from the top (as well as harder ones), so a mixed group can ski around together and each choose the route they fancy. Above the tree line, you can usually ski on a large area of mountainside, so you can start off on something tricky and traverse out if it all gets a bit much, or vice versa, which is great for encouraging people to have a go at something that looks a bit steep or bumpy.
ski holidays
Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't choose the Banff Springs. You'll probably get a better room in one of the less "prestigious" hotels in Banff. I like the Mount Royal (really central) and the Banff International once gave me a free room upgrade on arrival (into a massive suite on two levels), and both are probably cheaper than the Springs (although I guess it depends on the deals your TO has negotiated).

The Banff skki resorts are EXCELLENT area for early-stage skiers, and the quality of instruction is top-notch.

Do the Club Ski programme to get instruction on all three areas on consecutive days.

Late March is probably the best time to go. Comfortable temperatures, a nd still a significant chance of new snow.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
Acacia's point is a good one. There are loads of hotels in Banff. However, we had a few very good deals in the Banff Springs and it's worth paying amodest amount extra for.

I wish that I was going.
ski holidays
Quote:

There is NO SKIING in Banff you have to bus everywhere and like Louise it can get VERY COLD why not try Fernie, Kimberley or Panorama? I know you still have to take the bus to the hill at Fernie but Panorama and Kimberley accommodation is on the ski hill and Kimberley has a small town in walking distance with a cinema and swimming pool and both offer snow shoing, x country skiing, skating etc.and why not try a a catered chalet instead of a hotel they are available in Canada now.
For a mixed ability family staying on the hill is much more convenient as you are not dependent on 30 minute bus journeys to get back to your holiday home you can pop back for a coffee whenever you want. Very Happy
ski holidays
Which reminds me, I'd hire a car in Banff or LL. Although the bus service in Banff to Sunshine and Mt Norquay is very good, car hire avoids the TO transfer and means that you can come and go as you please. If you're staying at the Banff Springs, you get the added bonus when you pull up to the door of a bloke coming over to take your skis to the ski room and another taking your car to park it (and bringing it back in the morning). Driving is very easy, nothing like driving to/around ski resorts in Europe. With a bit of luck, the TO may throw one in for nothing or only a little extra if you don't take the transfer.
snow report
Like the others I would recommend the Banff springs (or other Banff hotel) - it gives you so many more options to eat, mess around and have non-skiing things to do. I think you will be fine at that time of year with the weather. Chateau LL is nice, though I am told the rooms are disappointing, but I would get bored eating in LL every day (especially if budget is a consideration). I would recommend a car too.

Depending on the age of your kids and whether you can get a comparable offer I would recommend a condo at Douglas Fir. Having a kitchen soothes the budget (certainly compared to eating out at fairmont hotels) plus the water slides and play place gives extra things to do.

Gryph
ski holidays
Cheers for the advice all, unfortunately inghams have now put canada on special offer of 300 per couple which has added 600 to the cost for the 4 of us Puzzled so we are back to Austria again although Canada is a definite for next year.
ski holidays
ollski,
Quote:

Cheers for the advice all, unfortunately inghams have now put canada on special offer of 300 per couple which has added 600 to the cost for the 4 of us Puzzled

sorry dont understand what you mean? we have just booked flights to Calgary and prices have dropped a lot!!!
snow conditions
flying planet wrote:

There is NO SKIING in Banff you have to bus everywhere and like Louise it can get VERY COLD why not try Fernie, Kimberley or Panorama?

they are planning late march - not very cold in lake louise then, and likely to be best snow of season. i'd highly recommend it - top time to go.
ski holidays
flying planet wrote:
ollski,
Quote:

Cheers for the advice all, unfortunately inghams have now put canada on special offer of 300 per couple which has added 600 to the cost for the 4 of us Puzzled

sorry dont understand what you mean? we have just booked flights to Calgary and prices have dropped a lot!!!

I don't really understand either but last week the base price to banff springs with inghams was 438 with air canada so I transferred some money onto my credit card so I could pay in full this friday. Unfortunately in the meantime they have added it to their special offer page but also increased the price to 588!. Not complaining too much as it was a steal for an eleven day holiday with full passes and ski hire on air canada and in the banff springs hotel for 3k, but the extra 800 has just set it out of my league to go on a whim!. Comparing stuff at the moment I can do half board on obergurgl or obertauern 1.5k cheaper and with current conditions it seems rude not to.
ski holidays
Quote:

Chateau LL is nice, though I am told the rooms are disappointing

Puzzled Who told you that? Roman Abramovich??!! Our room was massive and every bit as luxurious as we had hoped. Couldn't be faulted in fact.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ice climbing to the side of the lake
latest report
Quote:

Who told you that? Roman Abramovich??!! Our room was massive and every bit as luxurious as we had hoped. Couldn't be faulted in fact.

Lots of people have told us that, several people have told us its like a travellodge too.

A friend of mine stayed there 3 yrs running on a conference- lots of friends here in ALberta have and friends form UK stayed there last year.
snow conditions
The room we had in the Chateau LL was nothing to write home about, although the view down the lake was fantastic.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy