Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much difference a boot makes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am planning to hire some good skis this year, but wondering if it is worth while to take my 6 year old Nordica boots,(very basic) with. They are very comfortable , but will it limit my skiing if boot quality not as good as skis? I am a bit worried that hired boots might not be as good a fit. How much impact does the quality of boots have on performance , or are the skis the important factor?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lizski, huge - way more important than skis.

Take the Nordicas if they fit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm no boot fitter but i'd say the advantage of having boots that fit well is HUGE. As for skis, if you're feet are flapping round inide your boots or worse still causing you pain, it doesn't really matter what the skis are like.

I have always had a problem with hire boots because I have very flat feet. I bought a pair of boots but off the shelf in a shop in Munich so I didn't have to hire boots. They felt so much better than anything i'd ever hired and I improved using them. In reality, they were far too big for my feet and as I improved I started to notice things like my heal lifting inside the boot. Last year, I went to get some boots fitted properly and it really made a difference.

I'd take your Nordica's if I were you if they fit you well. You can always use them if you're not happy with your hire boots. Better still, buy some new boots! wink

Cheers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The boot is by far the biggest factor IMO. If the boot fits well, then wear them. If not, then consider buying a pair that do. Hired boots will never be as good as your own.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boots are far more important factor than skis. Waste of money getting decent skis, you won't be able to use them properly. Save your money and put it to a new pair of boots.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Comfortable boots beat the hell out of high spec so I'd go with what you've got.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skis are way more important than boots, at least you can see them. Boots hurt, fact. Feet hate boots, try what your mate uses, if they're happy you clearly will be too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, in a specially helpful mood tonight, I notice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, Laughing And then some seeds fell on stoney ground.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A boot is always going to be better than an uncomfortable or badly fitting boot but if your boots are 6 years old and your skiing has improved in that time you will certainly benefit from a comfortable well fitting new boot. Hire boots are very basic then everything gets better. You won't need a race boot and maybe not an advanced either but a good intermediate will certainly be an improvement.
How good a skier are you and how much time have you had on snow since you bought your last boots. Be honest about your ability are you happy skiing reds and blacks or do you prefer blues and greens? How long do you ski each day? and I don't mean hang around chatting or sitting in the bar.It all matters and should be taken into consideration before making a decision.

Eventually the decision must be yours so weigh everything up and if you decide to buy new TRY ON LOTS OF PAIRS BEFORE YOU BUY. I can pretty much guarantee that the boot your mate likes will be the one you don't.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flying planet, I am happy skiing reds and blacks, like the speed , never done serious off-piste but hopefully some lessons and guiding this year. We ski quite a full day. Lugging boots from South Africa every year was never the plan, but we were traveling through Budapest 6/7 years ago and they were really cheap (apparantly made in Hungary). Higienically I also like the idea of my own boots!
We can usually get to skiing in Europe only once a year, try for two weeks if possible, and seeing that technology changes so quickly dont know if it is worth while buying.

Wish it was possible to take own inners for hire boots. There should be great market for that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lizski wrote:

Wish it was possible to take own inners for hire boots. There should be great market for that.

It would be a really good way to pack out perfectly good inners _fast_ in a too-big shell.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
feet hate boots, hahahah Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy