Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone care to give me info on Bad Gastein or similar resort near Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have bagged two flights for £10 each for a four day (credit crunch style!!)ski trip to salzburg area. This will be our second trip this year so far as just had a pricey trip to val thorens, but did not get enough snow to cure my craving!!

We are going out on 11 march early flight to arrive in Salburg at 9 40 am so in theory we could get half a days skiing on our first day, and returning 14 march. So far we have yet to decide on what resort to go to. I have thought about Radstatt but would really like a larger area without catching buses so we can maximise skiing time and also we dont like sitting on buses at all! We are also considering Saalbach/Hinterglemm as we have been twice already and love the area but maybee we should try somewhere new. Have also been to zell am zee so not really considering at the momment.

I have seen a good b&b in bad gastein that claims to be near the station and also the ski lift(100 meters) so this would be ideal. However I dont know much about this area but do know i can get there pretty quick from Salzburg and it seems to have a fair amount of skiing.

We like to cover a lot of mileage on the slopes and as said before dont want to link to other slopes on buses, so would this area be good? Also we like a good lively bit of apres especially straight off the slopes so whats it like here? I mean the apres in saalbach /hinterglemm is great but i found it really quiet in val thorens!

Trying to keep costs down as well as we spent loads in vt, so also what are the beer, mountain hut and restaurant prices etc like?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never been to Gastein, but how about Schladming? Fair bit of linked skiing there I think, and you can get a cheap transfer to it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48086
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ok just checked schladming and found a ski in ski out apartment next to the gondola. So tell me about this resort pleeeeze! is the apres good? and the skiing ? it looks well linked so this might be a goer! just going to check out the transfer arrangements Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We spent Christmas in Bad Gastein, and it was great. But to be honest, I'm not sure it ticks all your boxes.

The gondola from Bad Gastein does access the largest area in the valley, but not the best area in my opinion. I found the best skiing to be in Sportgastein, which is a bus ride away.

The area directly above Bad Gastein when we were there got absolutly hammered by the wind and was really unpleasent. Now, you could drop off the other side and access Angertal and the area above Bad Hofgastein, which had mich better conditions, but eventually you have to ski home. On our first day there we found ourselves on top of the mountain in a complete white out, and the wind had shut the gondola down. This meant skiing an unknown slope in zero vis and extremely high winds. This may just have been our bad luck, although locals told us that's the area most suseptable to high winds.

As for apres, there is very little slope side in Bad Gastein. Bad Hofgastein seemed to have more, but in Bad Gastein there was just one small umbrella bar. There are good options in town, but you asked for right off the slopes. There are also quite a lot of huts on the mountain, although again the bulk of these seem to be above Bad Hofgastein.

Bad Gastein was great for what we were looking for, but I'm not sure its the best option in your case.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
daveqpr, i've got an apartment in Bad Gastein and know loads about it so PM me if you have any specific questions. If you want to keep the cost down, have you looked at the Youth Hostel in Bad Gastein (if that's your thing)? It's great and I always go in the bar when i'm there. One of the best.

IMO, the area above Bad Gastein on the lift is really good, especially now they have the new Senderbahn to the top from Angertal now which has really improved the flow of skiers round the area. Most of the mountain summits get the wind but remember, the Gastein valley is one of the highest points of Aki Amade so you're going to get some unpleasant weather at times. ami in berlin, i'm not doubting what your saying for a second, I think you must have had some bad luck when you were there. Normally, it's Sportgastein that gets the brunt of the weather. I've been on holiday there now for several weeks and i've only had it really cold for a few days. That time, I was at Sportgastein and the water inside my nose froze!

I agree with ami in berlin about the Apres to an extent. The bars aren't next to the bottom of the slope and you need to take about a 5 minute walk into town to the Silver Bullet. There has been some bad press about the Silver Bullet but if you go in there at the wrong time (e.g. 6 or 7), it is dead. The best time to go is between 4 and 6 or 9 onwards when there's a live band and the place really gets going!! Bad Gastein does have good Apres, just not next to the lift and you need to know where to go.

Any q's send me a pm.

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daveqpr, Obertauern might be ideal. Quick and easy transfer from Salzburg, very snowsure and apparently the apres is quite good too Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Transfers to resorts local to Salzburg... http://www.reisen-habersatter.at/transfer-en.php
I've used them a couple of times to Obertauern and they were very good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
daveqpr wrote:
ok just checked schladming and found a ski in ski out apartment next to the gondola. So tell me about this resort pleeeeze! is the apres good? and the skiing ? it looks well linked so this might be a goer! just going to check out the transfer arrangements Very Happy

The apres is reasonable IMO, but my opinion may not match yours Smile

I thoroughly enjoyed the skiing, but there is nothing very challenging - I was able to ski everything in the resort by the end of my week there - which was my third week ever skiing. But there is a good quantity of skiing, mostly red runs, and one mountain has night skiing available too. (You will need to take the bus from central Schladming to access the night skiing, although you can reach the same area on skis during the day).

Schladming is right on the main railway line from Salzburg, so that may well be your best bet for transfers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
daveqpr, Another area to consider would be the Ski Welt area - 250Km of lift-linked skiing (now that they have put in a new gondola to get you from Brixen into the Westendorf part of the area), about 1.5 hours transfer from Salzburg. Soll and Hopfgarten probably the best two resorts in terms of immediate access into the main ski area, and probably also for nightlife. Other resorts in the Ski Welt being Going, Ellmau, Itter, Scheffau, Brixen and Westendorf.

It's looking likely at the moment that I will be in Ellmau for either the week of 14th March or the week of 21st March.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all your replies. I looked at schladming and found a great apartment owned by an Austrian world champion skiiers family but unfortunately it was fully booked. Obertauern looked good but i struggled to find reasonable accomadation near the slopes. I have now found an apartment in hinterglemm that is directly on the night ski run, so it will be ideal. Good price as well (£35 a night each) so we 've bagged a bargain break and with the euros we have left from our trip to val thorens, this holiday will pay for itself so to speak.
Just hoping now its cold or snowy for that week. Last year went to saalbach in February and the temps felt like summer which was great for sitting outside in the mountain huts but was also a slush fest!

Costs so far
Flight £10 (taking hand luggage)
apartment £35 a night x 3 = £105
transfer £40 return
all prices each so x 2

this will give 3.5 days skiing Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy