Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in (waterproof) jeans - any reason why not?

Poster: A snowHead
I've got a pair of these: http://www.alpkit.com/colab/projects/jeanius/

They're waterproof, breathable, have an 'articulated' knee and boot-cut.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't ski in them? I can't.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
they look ace, I'd go for a blast in them!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
best paired up with a set of blades, I'd imagine
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've skied in ordinary jeans when forced by being in a foreign land without my usual gear. Just bought a pair of gaiters to stop the snow going down my boots. Not necessarily a long-term proposition though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dick Cheney skis in jeans!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
any reason not

Hypothermia? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
Dick Cheney skis in jeans!

Hmmm... that's a pretty good reason not to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MarjMJ wrote:

Hypothermia? Puzzled

They're probably thicker and warmer than my current fave ski trousers, some Eider ones which are essentially just a single breathable, water-proof layer. On cold days I wear thermals under them and would do the same with the jeans.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jeans (i.e. denim, rather than corduroy/moleskin jeans...!) are notorious for stealing heat from you - particularly if wet. Nobody in his right mind would go into the hills in them.

Waterproof jeans I cannot speak about.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
jeans - any reason why not?
one word: Chafing!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any reason why not?

Because you'll look like a twonk.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am with admin, on the CHAFING! I hope you have plenty of Savlon with you
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
admin wrote:
Chafing!

Where?

I think they were designed with climbing in mind so hopefully they allow some movement.

I guess I won't know 'til I try.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2000overdrive wrote:

Because you'll look like a twonk.

Some would say that would be an improvement.

In my defence I have never worn a comedy ski hat.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Higs, the breathability can be a bad thing. I've taken similar pants XC skiing and not had a problem. Alpine, uh, makes bigger breezes?

WEAR WINDPROOF BRIEFS!

(trust me on this)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 28-01-09 13:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Wear them Higs, everyone else will be next year!
snow report
comprex wrote:
WEAR WINDPROOF BRIEFS!

That sounds extremely dangerous. I would expect that by shortly before lunch, they would have inflated sufficiently to lift me into the upper atmosphere. The risk of explosion must also be significant, all those Euro types with their ciggies in the lift queue.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 28-01-09 16:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Guvnor wrote:
best paired up with a set of blades, I'd imagine

Yes with poles and a bum bag (or "fanny pack" for our American cousins)
snow report
Higs, you could look a bit...french
snow conditions
Aside from a denoting a dubious fashion sense ( wink ), I don't think any of the usual/traditional criticism stands..

By the looks of it they are not exactly standard jeans, are they?

new shape, waterproof, elastane etc etc...They're obviously designed for outdoor stuff in mind so aren't exactly comparable to run of the mill jeans..

As I said, good taste seem the only factor against.. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Frosty wrote:
Higs, you could look a bit...french

I will be in Italy - would looking French be a problem?

Maybe I should save them for Montgenevre days.

p.s. Mrs Higs is Dutch who, I've noticed, have a 'style' all of their own. The male Dutch thinks nothing of a lime green tie with an orange check shirt.
latest report
Higs, and orange trousers and orange hat and orange...everything. (Mrs Frosty is Dutch too)
snow conditions
I ski in cords - cool in every way! Cool
latest report
Iceman skis in jeans.

Don't forget the powder puffs.
snow report
Well I think that diamond crotch sounds just the thing. Can't think how we all cope without one of those.
latest report
Well I think that diamond crotch sounds just the thing. Can't think how we all cope without one of those.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Well spotted!
latest report
I don't think the crotch is actually solid diamond. Or I'd be restricted to skiing in St Moritz.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
give it a go! I'd love to know how it goes, and how many people you catch trying to work out how the hell you aren't soaked through and shivering Toofy Grin aj xx
ski holidays
Skied in a waterproof cape one day in sleety snow. As the day went on the temperatures dropped and the cape just fell apart bit by bit till only the hood was left...............I'd suggest you make sure you got good underwear on Toofy Grin

www.flying-planet.co.uk
latest report
flying planet wrote:
.I'd suggest you make sure you got good underwear on :-D

smart man.

richmond, you could always put a hole in the back of something like these, for safety _and_ speed.
snow report
admin wrote:
Quote:
jeans - any reason why not?
one word: Chafing!

Are you sure you dont mean one word 'Chavving' wink
latest report
flying planet, Welcome to snowheads .Interesting website. You may want to include the link to it in your signature.A little more subtle wink
snow report
Well I can answer my own question now and report that they're great for skiing. I've just been for 6 days skiing. For the first three days I wore my normal (expensive) Eider ski pants, for the last three days I wore the CoLab jeans, both with thermals underneath. I didn't notice any difference between the two pairs of trousers.

There was a lot of snow around this week so I got snowed on on the lifts and was in deep powder a few times (sometimes deliberately, sometimes not). They stayed warm and dry on the inside with snow and water just shedding off the outside.

One thing that did worry me, with a button fly and deep powder (or windchill) was 'chilly willy' but I'm pleased to report no issues there.

Nothing much more to say for now. They just worked.
I guess I'll be looking to see how long the proofing lasts now, particularly as I've not washed them yet.
snow report
Higs, Did you get any comments? With my cords I always get people asking me "Are they really ski-pants?" "Where did you get them?" "Dude, why are you skiing in cords??" etc etc...

Gotta say I have my eye on these - seems to be last years thing though, no one has stock...

http://www.hardcloud.com/product/d054601027in.asp
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Higs, Did you get any comments?

Not one.

If people were pointing and laughing they were very subtle about it.
snow report
Higs, Laughing they probably thought "That nutter must be hard as nails/mad as a hatter to ski in jeans, I'll keep my gob shut"
ski holidays
Neat - i wish they still had them in stock - i really fancy a pair myself!

red27 - were you in 3v last week? saw a guy in cords a couple of times although never got a chance to ask how they were stayin dry!

aj xx
latest report
Skied in jeans during school ski trips, backin the day..even with ripped knees etc..but this was late 80s when day glo tops and those round shades with leather sides were in...

so are those collab jeans good then? was thinking of getting some for moutain biking
snow report
I've not been out mountain biking in mine yet.
They're a bit flappy round the bottom - good for ski boots, maybe not so good for chain rings.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy