Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'isere world cup disruption

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm going to be in Val D'isere from the 8th Feb and obviously the world cup will be on at the same time.

I'm looking forward to it, but wondered what the effect of it will be on the rest of the resort. Obviously the Face won't be open but i'm wondering if there is likely to be much disruption to the lifts and if any of the other runs down into the resort itself will be closed. I've been able to find little info on the net about what else is likely to be closed.

I'm expecting that the town itself will be very busy and have already had an email from the tour operator recommending that we book a restaurant for the staff night off.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm led to beleive that just about every bed is booked so it will be mega busy. When I went in December the chalet staff said that the extra people would of course put extra pressure on facilities (eateries, bars, infrastrucure etc), but as far as the skiing goes, they reckoned that because a major section of the visitors would be race teams and race staff, the pistes wouldn't be any more crowded than during something like the easter period.

I loved the little bit of WC racing I saw in December but I reckon the world champs will be a totally different kettle of fish because there's so much going on. Enjoy! Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not every bed is booked because there still space in the chalet we're in Smile

But good point about the numbers of race teams and staff etc

The racing should be brilliant and i'm looking forward to it, i'm mainly concerned about what pistes (other than the face) will be closed and what the lifts out of the solaise area will be like for loading.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lower, There is a previous thread on the subject here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1122669&highlight=val%2A#1122669
The SCGB have a rep in Val d'Isere for the duration, if you are a member I guess he will be a good contact point for help and advice. Even if a non-member you can ski with the rep for free one day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lower, I heard a rumour that the Solaise Express blew offf its pylon a few days ago in 200kph winds but can't find any more info. Scary!! Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Radio Val d'Isere gave details of the Solaise Express cable derailment. As far as I can read, the cable came of at four pylons in winds gusting up to 200kph. Repairs started as soon as possible and were completed by midday, but testing continued for a while longer. See these Radio Val d'Isere pages:
http://www.radiovaldisere.com/article.php?id=916
http://www.radiovaldisere.com/article.php?id=918
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bored surfing- thanks for the link

Adrian, i see you're local. Can you tell me if the solaise express and the olympique cable car will be off limits to the public while the races are running? I can't find anything to confirm whether they'll be open or closed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lower, I have not seen anything to answer your question about the two lifts. I will keep a look out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks adrian.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No proper answer yet lower but some comments. There are lots of "event" related temporary buildings around the race finish areas, ie near the bases of Solaise Express and L'Olympic lifts. But (today) both lifts are outside any fences or controlled areas. There are posters etc saying that the base area is open and free to spectators. There are sets of tiered seats that, I expect, require tickets to use. One apartment owner I spoke to believes that the Solaise Express will close when races happen on the Rhone Alpes and L'Olympic will close when races are on Face. Have not found any useful info on the various Val d'Isere web sites.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again adrian. I've been searching as well and can't find anything really.

No news may be because nothing will change or because its france Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just spoken to a lady in the Val d'Isere tourist office. She said that both the Solaise Express and L'Olympic lifts will be operating normally for skiers during the race period.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy