Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl B&B

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

1st time on here.........

We're going to Obergurgl next year for my 2nd time skiing, just back from Cervinia i'm i'm hooked!!!
Rather than stay in a hotel we fancied trying a B&B so we can try the different restaurants while we're there.
I'm struggling to find anything probably due to lack of experience in booking sking hols.
I'm looking for the usual, good location near lifts etc, reasonable price, nice hosts, good facilties etc.
Any recommendations would be great, thanks very much
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stayed at the s'Hoamatl, which was good. Quite big airy en-suite rooms, and a nice breakfast with hams, cheeses, eggs etc. There was also a small in-house bar. It was just a minute or two from the lifts, and you could ski back almost to the door. There were also very good wellness facilities for such a small(ish) place.

The location is up a small hill, but you can ski down to the lifts, and walk down to town for dinner, you just need to walk slowly back up to it at night. We thought the location was great but I didn't want to imply it was actually at the lift station.

I would recommend it. I would think if you google s'Hoamatl you will probably find it!

D
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks very much for the quick reply.

It sounds good & i'll check it out, is it anywhere near a hotel called "Lohmann"? We're going with friends thats are staying there so it'd be good to be near'ish to them.

Like i said we'd ideally like somewhere near both the lifts & town centre. This year we stayed just outside the centre of Cervinia, but were too tired to walk into town after skiing (i was surprised just how tired i got) so we saw little of the place.

Next year i'd like to sample a little bit more apre ski....

thanks again
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi howster, I forgot to say welcome to snowHead !

The location of the one I suggested is fine, literally a minute's walk until you can step into your skis and get to the lifts, and 2 minutes walk to the nearest bars and restaurants etc.

I am not sure about the Lohmann, as I think there are lots of things called Lohmann in the village, so it could be one of a number. It's a small place though so you won't be far away.

D
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Howster,
s'Hoamatl is not far, about 5 minutes walk, from Lohmann which is a hotel attached to one of the main ski equipment shops in the village. There should be a list of the B&Bs on the Obergurgl website and it has a good interactive map that will show you where everything is at http://www.obergurgl.com/main/EN/GG/WI/ortsinformation/index.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
howster, I DIY it to Obergurgl by booking flights with SleazyJet and then taking the bus to Innsbruck train station, train to Oetztal station and then take the normal public bus service up the valley. It's not as difficult as it sounds! I stayed at the Mennecke pension last time and got a lovely room with a big bathroom and a short walk to the lifts. I either use the Obergurgl website to find a place or just email the places directly. When I used the Obergurgl site in December it was telling me places were full but when I emailed directly, they had space. This was for a single room, which can be tricky. I'm staying at the Hohenfels pension in a few weeks, which came recommended by a friend and is opposite the Festkogl gondola. The Lohmann is between the two lifts but closer to and only a short walk away from the Gaisberg lift in the centre of town. I hear the Lohmann is nice but have never stayed there. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WOW

thanks for all your help (this'll end up being another site i get addicted to)

Kelski, any advice you can give regarding DIY trips will be very gratefully received. I usually do that but i've only done it for summer hols with short transfers & football trips but for some reason i'm wary of doing it for skiing. Maybe its the longer transfer that intimidates me i'm not sure?? Anyway any advice would be great.
We have actually looked at Hohenfels, it looked good. Its in the Nielsen brochure, can't remeber prices sorry, i think i might email them direct though.

Janette,

the map is very good, thanks. Razz
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you DIY there was a 'shuttle' bus service from Innsbruck airport to Obergurgl.
Details were available from the tourist office and on their website in german http://www.obergurgl.com/main/DE/SD/WI/Ortsinfo/anreise/anreise_oetztalshuttle/index.html
but not on the english pages. I have just looked to see if it is running this year, they have added an english link http://www.obergurgl.com/main/EN/SD/WI/Ortsinfo/anreise/anreise_oetztalshuttle/index.html.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 28-01-09 14:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
janette

thanks very much.

the map really is very good and i will look into the shuttle bus later.

thank you for all of your help, deliaskis, janette and kelskii.

i'll keep you informed how i get on but anymore advice is always welcome
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Howster,
Hope you love Obergurgl, it is my favourite place though we don't return every year as we have to see other places!
The run back into to the village can feel a bit scary to relative beginners, don't let that put you off, there is now the option to go down on the gondola!
Make sure you go to the apres ski at the Nederhuette on Monday, Wednesday and Friday http://www.nederhuette.at/ . Then either ski back while inebriated or they will give you a lift on the snow cat.
Also if you are B&B the Nederhuette do an excellent dinner evening in the hut on Thursday, you can prebook a week before and you go up in a snow groomer or a wagon behind a snow cat unless they are using the new gondola at nights now.
Other places to eat are the Krump'n Stadl early in the evening before it turns into what passes for a club there. Also there is a good pizza place.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
janette, howster, I investigated taking the shuttle bus but it didn't run very frequently and the timing of its departure wasn't convenient. When I departed the airport there was a normal public bus waiting to go to Innsbruck station so I just jumped on that and paid the driver. Got to Innsbruck station and headed downstairs to the ticket counter and bought a train ticket to Oetztal and was told which platform to go to. Waited about 10 mins for a train and the journey took about 40 mins. Got off at Oetztal and walked to the bus stop and the bus to Obergurgl was waiting; paid the driver and off we went, think it took about one hour to reach Obergurgl. My poor memory recollects that it cost about 15 euros for the one-way journey. I think a taxi transfer costs about 150 Euros from Innsbruck airport. One tip is to get a return train ticket for the train journey between Innsbruck and Oetztal. I didn't and spent a while trying to figure out how to get a ticket out of the machine at Oetztal station! It was unmanned when I was there on a saturday morning.

I stayed in the Wurmkogl Hotel last year and the most expensive bit was the taxi from the bus stop in Obergurgl to the hotel, think it was close to 20 Euros. If you stay in the village centre then most hotels will be within walking distance of the bus station. If you stay in the Hohenfels then you need to get off the bus at the Festkogl gondola. Hope this helps.

March's trip will be my sixth in Obergurgl, it's a nice place, small and friendly. As janette, says, the run down to the village can be tricky but sometimes they piste a "road" on the right hand side as an easier option. Only things is, they sometimes don't bother creating this, not sure why. I learnt to ski in Obergurgl and used to use the "road" quite often, now I much prefer bombing down over the bumps for a beer at the conveniently sited schirm bar; you'll see the big umbrella and hear the LOUD music.

If you're going into the ski school, staying in the village centre will be the most convenient but even if you stay further down the village, the bus comes every 10 mins and the journey only takes a few mins.

Have fun Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Like i said we'd ideally like somewhere near both the lifts & town centre.

It's a bit hard to find anything too far away from the action in Obergurgl - it's a very small place......... Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've used s'Homatle for the last two christmas' and it's been super. 15 minutes walk from the Lohmann which is also excellent
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

We've used s'Homatle for the last two christmas' and it's been super. 15 minutes walk from the Lohmann which is also excellent

Morning All, thanks again

i've tried to get some info on s'Hoatle but cant seem to find any website, but like i said the interactive map is very good. It lists all the B&B's i think and give their location.
if i can't find the s'Homatle i'm sure i'll find something pretty good in the centre.
Kelskii, thanks for the info regarding transfers, it doesn't sound too difficult
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
howster, it's here http://www.hoamatl.at/neu

It was all in the spelling!

We did the taxi transfer from Innsbruck as there were four of us, but as Kelskii says, it's easy enough to do by train and bus.

D
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy