Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best time to drive back from Meribel on last Saturday of French half term???!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, we are driving to Meribel with our children and are fortunate enough to be able to arrive midweek (and therefore hopefully relatively traffic-free) for ten days skiing. However, coming back we shall be driving with what I suspect will be half of France. Does anybody have tips on the best time of day to leave in order to avoid the worst of the crowds???

Many thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lizann, welcome to snowHead

Either very very early 6am or sooner - or leave it till later in the day after the worst have departed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski til lifts close, leisurely dinner, wait until no noticeable downhill traffic then leave, later the better unless you've got sod all to do For some reason people tend to avoid setting off after dark
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both - late it is then: don't fancy getting 4 of us (including our "helpful" 4 and 5 year olds) out of apartment by 6 a.m!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lizann, If the weather forecast is bad for the Saturday, it may even be worth considering leaving on the Friday evening
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My experience is 06.00 is not early enough - even if you beat the crowds in Meribel , those rushing down from the resorts ahead of you will ensure delays esp at the peage and tunnels.

As others say ; dark on the Fri or Sat.

John
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Friday night, or later in the day on the Saturday, after 4pm, or Sunday morning? fatbob, has the right idea.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll second that.....returned from Meribel/Mottaret last year & It was horrendous....made Geneva by the skin of our teeth (& a lucky gamble to follow a transfer minibus around the back roads avoiding any motorways!!!)......Its not just the run down from Meribel which isn't too bad, its after that where all the other resorts converge down to the same roads...took over 2 hrs to travel about 4 miles around Moutiers (Saturday morning around 08:30) Evil or Very Mad

Best of luck!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alltnaha wrote:
My experience is 06.00 is not early enough - even if you beat the crowds in Meribel , those rushing down from the resorts ahead of you will ensure delays esp at the peage and tunnels.
As others say ; dark on the Fri or Sat.
John
Definately, if you're not past Moutiers by 6:00am you may have real delays getting past there. This assumes good weather, if there's any snow, add more time. I've always delayed my departure from this area till much later in the day. Have fun, let us know how you get on.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for the quiet transfer-day ski, and a late departure - though if you have to vacate your apartment by 10 am, which is often the case, it needs a bit of planning. Problem with leaving late Friday is that finding a hotel room will be difficult.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ouch! Thank you all - sounds like we shall be leaving after dark! I looked into leaving Friday and as you said pam w, it's virtually impossible to find a reasonably priced hotel that can take four of us in one room. Saturday night it is then - hopefully we shan't have to vacate the apartment too early...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
While I can see that rooms in the valley may be tricky - if you're prepared to drive at least as far as Lyon then I bet there are rooms around.

We are a family of 5 and can always find rooms through Logis de Frances just north of Lyon
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fri night or before 6am on Sat is good advise. Alternatively leave the car in Meribel and head for the altiport in Courchevel then get a helicopter there Laughing . The biggest returns will be on Sat 21/02 AND Sat 28/02. Not sure which one will be worse - expect both will be the same.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lizann, Apart from having to pack like demons on the Friday night, you can look forward to a LOVELY QUIET DAY on the slopes, then a nice alpenglow drive down the vallee. Boris' idea about the Logis is good. Try this link http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/recherch/index-ca.htm
Good luck.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Meribel on the Saturday then stay in Moutiers Saturday night and have a nice quiet drive back on the Sunday! Toofy Grin
snow report
We have never had any dramas leaving Les Menuires at 8.00am at the end of the Parisian week. Cant see how Meribel can be much different ?
snow conditions
Decision made! We have booked a hotel for the Saturday night (my first foray into Formule-1 but if it keeps my husband in his rather sweet belief that the entire ski trip including lessons and lift passes is costing us under £1k... rolling eyes ) and we can take advantage of the quiet Saturday in the resort. Thank you all for your help!!
snow conditions
Quote:

if it keeps my husband in his rather sweet belief that the entire ski trip including lessons and lift passes is costing us under £1k...

lizann, Laughing
ski holidays
CarlT - you've been very lucky!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy