Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lightweight Ski Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
I would like to get a helmet before my next ski trip as I don't have one and my children were asking why not !!

Last year on resort I tried on a few and hired one for a few days but couldn't find anything suitable...
My head is quite a normal size, so they did all tend to fit fine.

Our chalet hosts both had helmets - one was light, one was very heavy and we were sitting round comparing - and for me the lightweight was the winner by far... BUT I have no idea what make it is, how much it weighed, just that it was orange !!!

Also I am struggling to find anywhere which lists a lot of helmets and their weights!!!

So if you have a helmet (pretty please) - how much does it weigh and what make/model is it ??
Or do you know of a good lightweight helmet?

Dont really want to spend silly money as we only go one week a year, at tops 2 and I am a faddy person so if there is a newer better one I will want that next year wink

THANK YOU snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
loveski, I've a Giro G10 helmet which I think is great and seems pretty lightweight to me (will have to weigh it). Giro make a lot of excellent cycling helmets too (as used by Lance Armstrong) so there's a lot of cross over with skiing. There's plenty of vents in it to help reduce the weight, but equally they can be closed at the push of a slider to keep your head warm and toasty, ear pads that are removable, even replaceable with ones with little speakers in for your iPod

The only downside you may think is the price around £90 - 100, but I think it's worth the price. As my American buddy told me "If you've a $10 head, you buy a $10 helmet!" wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
loveski, I went into a shop and tried all of them on and picked the most comfortable. For me that was the G10. I wish it had been a cheaper one, but trying them on that one just fitted me better and was so much more comfortable. I found most of the ones on sale to be relatively light. Perhaps the heavy one you saw was a few years older?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been using a POC skull light, great fit and very light...

http://onebelowzero.com/products.asp?cat=94000

4 pages of helmets to look at, skull light is on bottom of second page.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
loveski, orange? Uvex by any chance?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
loveski, Try Snowfusion.co.uk and their HMR helmets. Incredibly light but a tad expensive
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sweet and POC helmets are very lightweight. The only thing heavy about them is the price tag.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like the sound of the G10 with easy close vents - that is one thing I hate about helmets - hot head !!!

price sounds alright to me - I didnt think they came much below £80, so £100 is ok!Sleipnir, - totally agree with your american buddy !! (although I suppose cheap is better than nothing...)

comprex, may have been Uvex...
(may have been giro too as it was a bit "bike helmetty" - shame you cant (I ASSUME!!!) get one helmet for ski/cycle because then I would happily fork out - but I am guessing they are made for different types of impact...)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
loveski, sorry, I'm of no help. Embarassed Never get hot head and feel utterly naked with a G10 on for lack of protection in the occipital area.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mrs scotkiw got a head liv for our trip at xmas and she loves it
according to
http://www.boardsonline.co.uk/helmets/head-liv-snowboard-helmet/prod_591.html
it weighs in at 375g and does feel very light when its on.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think Decathlon do an orange one - or did.

Just don't ask why I might know that little bit of information Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use a Cebe for skiing snowboarding and paragliding. It is the lightest helmet I have ever found and has goggle clips and removable ear pads. I don't think Cebe make helmets any longer due to competition from cheaper chinese helmets but you can still buy them and best of all they are at reduced prices. Try TK maxx my daughter bought one there for £24 just after Xmas mine cost £70 for the same helmet which I bought in France in 2007. Smile Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
loveski, I recently bought a helmet for same reason as you, and so I was a bit bothered about it and fully expected not to 'get on with' helmet wearing. I could not have been more wrong! It is so comfy, warm, lightweight, worked really well with my goggles - no fogging. I was really pleased. It is a Giro Ember womens helmet. My son has a Giro Ricochet and I have never had any complaints from him.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My helmet is a 'head' make, not sure of model but it is black with vents and pink graphic at back. It is the most comfortable hat I've ever worn. Really warm in the freezing cold but keeps my head cool in the blazing sun... Perfect!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"keeps my head cool in the blazing sun"

I guess it would be a good idea to avoid black helmets, as i'm sure they get pretty hot in sun
ski holidays
No No mines as 'tony the tiger' would say 'GGRREAT'!!
ski holidays
I have a Sweet Trooper half cut, it is pretty light.
latest report
Thank you all Smile

I am googling them all now and having a look - but I think I will wait until I am on resort and try some on there...
(did this last year and ended up hiring one - which wasn't very nice - and got slightly put off them..)

PRESUME that there is no immediate (financial) advantage to buying here????
(UNLESS there is a cheap one in TK Maxx...)
snow conditions
I have a scot variant brim, originally had a scot variant but it got taken by the missus
as it was half the weight of the one she had.
they are not cheap £120-160 but very light weight
snow report
The more ventilation, the less the protection - race helmets are not vented. Carbon fibre may help cut weight a little - but not much, since the outer plastic skin is so thin; it's primarily there to keep the ploystyrene foam in the correct place, as far as I can see. From my small experience in designing plastic mouldings, it is easier to get some UV resistance in black plastic than white. However, I don't know what UV resistance measures helmet manufacturers take - it's not high in their publicity. Maybe none, on the principle that sweat-soaking the foam polysytrene liner means that the helmet needs replacing regularly - I have a Scott one that advised replacement every 3 years - a good reason for not spending too much in the first place.
snow report
I never expected to get on with a helmet, so I bought a very cheap (and light - 500gms) one from Lidl for £12 95 or so. It is excellent and I am now a convert. sarah, hits the nail on the head. Helmets make goggles work!

snowHead
ski holidays
Latest helmet news. I had a call from our ski partner and old friend Hippo. "I've gone out and bought a helmet."

"Oh, What sort?"

"An Atomic, same as my skis."

"Your skis are Rossignols!"

snowHead
latest report
loveski wrote:
Thank you all Smile

I am googling them all now and having a look - but I think I will wait until I am on resort and try some on there...
(did this last year and ended up hiring one - which wasn't very nice - and got slightly put off them..)

PRESUME that there is no immediate (financial) advantage to buying here????
(UNLESS there is a cheap one in TK Maxx...)

Lidl have cheap helmets whenever they have ski gear in (usually about twice per season).

And the one I bought before Christmas seems pretty light, although yet to be used in anger.
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
Latest helmet news. I had a call from our ski partner and old friend Hippo. "I've gone out and bought a helmet."

"Oh, What sort?"
"An Atomic, same as my skis."
"Your skis are Rossignols!"
snowHead

Having now met Hippo makes this all the funnier Laughing
ski holidays
I bought a Salomon Ranger a couple of weeks ago. 410 grams open and close vents. Nice and comfy.
ski holidays
The SH+ is lightweight and comfortable, it's a compact helmet, so good for small to normal sized heads. It's vented so not suitable for racing other than slalom, which means that it's not rated for very high speed crashes. Comes in Venus Pink this year, but also the normal grey, blue, black.

Our LIDL still have childrens helmets.
snow report
G10 for me
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy