Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problems with a 'stem'

Poster: A snowHead
I posted a couple of vids of my skiing a few weeks back and received a lot of great advice, which I tried to put to use in my recent ski trip.

I'm happy to say it felt like a made some progress - however, of all the problems with my skiing (and there are plenty), it's my 'stem' that's really driving me nuts.

It seems to be mainly a problem going from a left to a right turn - but is constantly present, whatever the steepness of the slope and the snow conditions (probably becoming more exaggerated/obvious on the tougher slopes).

It's really starting to get frustrating ... especially as I really can't feel why it's happening.

I'm going to try to make it to MK Snowdome this weekend to practice, so anyone has any tips/suggestions that would be terrific.

[I think I have some vid of my most recent trip somewhere ... if I can find it I'll bung it on YouTube]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, can you explain it more?

Do you stem the uphill or downhill ski?

Where in the turn does this happen?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little tiger, I'm a fairly inexperienced skier and find it very difficult to feel exactly what's going on (which no doubt why I'm having trouble fixing it) so here are couple of vids. They're not great quality - but hopefully give explain the problem better than I can!

http://uk.youtube.com/v/cK3RYuqL-SA&feature=channel_page (I'm the first one down)
&
http://uk.youtube.com/v/GRe0MWJBRls&feature=channel_page

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abj, there's just a little stem in the first video, where you are skiing in a bit of powder on piste, but the second clip looks much cleaner although still a hint of the stem. Generally it looks very good for an inexperienced skier and I don't think you would need to do much to get your two skis working in sync when you start the new turn. A few suggestions:

1. In the first clip in particular you are a little bit back on your heels, especially when you start the turn. I think this exaggerates the little stem you have. Something to play with is to think of projecting your hips across your skis and down the hill when you start the turn. Project as far as you are brave enough to do (you'll know when you've gone too far, too quickly because you'll fall inside the turn).

2. Imagine you are starting the turn with your (new) inside knee. Get that leg working early (the reality is that it will probably happen at the same time as the outside leg, which is what you're aiming for).

3. In the second clip I think you can probably do with a bit of a wider stance. This will help when you ski a bit quicker and a bit steeper. A drill which I think it might be worth playing with is to ski without poles and as you start the turn place your inside hand on your inside knee and actively pull it towards the centre of your turn.

Just my 2 cents worth.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abj, Pretty good for inexperienced...

Your upper body is not too bad.. not flailing much etc... Pretty tidy for a newbie...

Your stance is pretty good... but as rob@rar, says a bit back... Have a look at the angle your lower leg is at to the ski - ie the angle your ankle is making... Do you stand like this to receive for tennis? or goal keep at football? or etc etc... I'd bet you would bend that ankle more... It is tricky in a ski boot on a slippery surface - so you need to practise... A small change at your ankle will make a big change to where you feel your weight is...

Last time Graham N suggested you grab Fastman's DVDs... I'd second that... these really are perfect for you - they will tidy up all those little things that will make it easier for you... lateral balance(angulation), and particularly steering... your little stem is because you are struggling a bit to start that turn... working on your steering skills will help you a lot...

As one of my friends has just discovered once you have really good quality steered turns they flow just soooooo much better and it is all easier...

BTW hint for video... for movement analysis ski past the camera - then we can see you coming and going... also see if your photographer can manage a little zoom
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh I just realised nobody gave you the link to the site http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Your_Ski_Coach_Home.html

There are also a couple of pages in the online instruction bit on stance and steering... these include some dryland drills as well as on snow drills
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abj, if that's inexperienced I think I'll change my signature!! I think it looks very good - I'd be pleased to do as well snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks rob@rar, little tiger.

I was definitely aware of being a a bit back on the first video ... with the fresh snow I felt like I had to be on heels to try and make the skis float a bit - which I guess wasn't the right way of going about things (?). I thought I was a bit better balanced on the second video, but sounds like there's a bit more work to be done there too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abj wrote:
with the fresh snow I felt like I had to be on heels to try and make the skis float a bit - which I guess wasn't the right way of going about things (?)

No need for that, especially when there is a firm base topped with just a little bit of fresh snow. Much better to stay as centred as possible and ski like you normally do, not least because all sorts of problems rear their ugly head when you get too far back. In very deep snow the main adjustment which works for me is to ski with my legs a bit closer together - I try (although often fail) to ski as centred as I can. Some people say that leaning back to bring the tips up is helpful, although I think this depends on how you are skiing. If you are surfing big GS turns on a pair of very fat skis I think being behind your centre can help a bit, but "classical" powder skiing I think is better if you stay centred.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abj, nicely balanced, nicely committed to the turn.

You might call yourself inexperienced but you are clearly an athletic sort of person.

As I see it, the reason you still have a bit of stem is that the old outside ski is still holding onto the previous turn as you pop off of it and onto the new outside ski.

This is a pretty athletic move. If you see a ski review that makes much of 'rebound' of the ski, chances are the reviewer skis like you.

Eventually, I think you will attempt to extend that moment, hold the previous turn all the way to 6 o'clock (you are finishing at 4:45 now), go to neutral glide (no edges!) through 6 o'clock, then slowly extend into the new turn. You will get more rebound in the belly of the turn, right around fall line. You won't need to rock back onto your heels so much as you finish a turn to trigger what I call 'finish rebound'. And you'll be happier on ice, I think.

A good instructor can do all that with you in about three days, you are easily athletic and balanced enough methinks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, very kind (I'll pay you later wink )

rob@rar, yep, thought as much. It wasn't a conscious decision, but sitting back on my heels just seemed my automatic reaction to being greeted with 8-inches of fresh snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abj wrote:
rob@rar, yep, thought as much. It wasn't a conscious decision, but sitting back on my heels just seemed my automatic reaction to being greeted with 8-inches of fresh snow.
Everyone does it at some point, it's just instinctive. It would be good to sort it out though, especially for when you're into deeper snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks [/b]comprex[/b].

Quote:

As I see it, the reason you still have a bit of stem is that the old outside ski is still holding onto the previous turn as you pop off of it and onto the new outside ski.

I think this makes sense. I'll try to be aware of this when I'm practicing. The problem I keep running into is a lack of body awareness - even when it *feels* like I've cracked it, I look at some footage or glance down at my feet betweeb turns and there it is!!

And you're absolutely right about getting some decent instruction. I've been lazy when it comes to this - having had very little instruction since my first week's beginner course.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abj wrote:
Thanks [/b]comprex[/b].

Quote:

I think this makes sense. I'll try to be aware of this when I'm practicing.

This is what I was trying to get at when I suggested thinking about starting the turn with your inside leg. If I'm not very committed to a turn I get a little stem just like yours. A conscious effort to begin the turn with my inside leg means means that I cross-over with both legs in sync, rather than a sequential outside leg followed by inside leg.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

conscious effort to begin the turn with my inside leg means

So is Harb's 'phantom move' a good image to have in my mind (lift and tilt the new inside ski) - or is it best to think of this move coming from the new inside knee?
ski holidays
abj, I've never really got my head around Harb's phantom move, so npt sure how it works. For me it's just a mental trigger which helps overcome a tendency for a lazy inside leg. Most of the time being committed to the turn and getting a good projection of the hips forwards and across the skis makes sure that I make a clean change of edges with both skis at the same time, but sometimes I need to make more of a conscious effort to get my inside ski engaged on it's edge early in the turn.
ski holidays
abj, HH lift and tilts the -old- inside knee uphill just before he tilts the -old- outside knee downhill. Do not lift the -new- inside ski.
latest report
rob@rar, wanna hand ski? Hands straight in front, palms down.

For an HH transition to the right the sequence is:

START with pressure on right thumb
Down pressure left pinky nail
Tilt right hand to pressure right pinky
Tilt left hand to pressure left thumb.

For an HH transition to the left the sequence is:

START with pressure on left thumb
Down pressure right pinky nail
Tilt left hand to pressure left pinky
Tilt right hand to pressure right thumb.

Rather involved and dorky to explain, but it does get the weight forward and pressure off the old downhill ski. Likely to be confusing to abj as it doesn't explain the -sensation- he will get if its done properly.
snow conditions
comprex, thanks. I'm pleased nobody is in my study with me as I'm not sure they'd understand the little hand dance I've just been doing Laughing

OK, the HH transition seems to be the opposite of a stem caused by holding on to the old outside ski for too long. Does it mean that the inner ski transitions onto the new edge before the outside ski, or in reality do they make the transition at the same time?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

OK, the HH transition seems to be the opposite of a stem caused by holding on to the old outside ski for too long. Does it mean that the inner ski transitions onto the new edge before the outside ski,

You got it.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

OK, the HH transition seems to be the opposite of a stem caused by holding on to the old outside ski for too long. Does it mean that the inner ski transitions onto the new edge before the outside ski,

You got it.

Crikey, I wouldn't want to do that when hitting some fast GS turns! Can you say "do the splits"...
snow report
rob@rar, HH was on the Canadian technical team... at a time when they were known for their speed skiers... I don't think ripping long fast turns is his thing... you will notice he is mostly doing short turns when you see him...

I would guess this partly explains his addiction to the "toilet seat" transition(cross under)... it is faster so good in slalom
snow conditions
abj, May I thankyou for posting 'my terrible skiing' a while ago. Apart from the title not being true, you encouraged me to brave it and put my clips on. All the snowHead snowHead snowHead Have been very helpful.

If I ski as well as you do in the not too distant future I would be exstatic. Like you I have had no tuition since my first week. Budget problems rather than lack of interest, consider myself lucky just to go skiing let alone the luxury of lessons!

The only comment I can add to this thread is that you seem to be very hard on yourself, try to see some more positive things about your skiing and maybe you will be less irritated and have more FUN. It was pointed out to me by Flyingstantoni that even I have some positive elements to my skiing, very kind but also very encouraging.

keep Smile ing and dont get too Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
youngeratheart, I think you'll find that everyone else pointed out the good bits - I merely summarised them wink
snow report
abj, you really are very hard on yourself. Both of those videos look good.

Have a read at what I posted for youngeratheart over here because it also applies to you. Whilst you're not making Z shaped turns you are certainly turning asymmetrically. You have a distinct lack of body movement - which isn't going to be helping the skis.

Your body position and balance are are bit of a chicken and egg situation with regard to your turn shape. If you rush the front end of your turn then it's very difficult to be in balance. If you're not in balance then you'll probably end up in the back seat a little and stemming.
snow report
youngeratheart, I'm glad my other post helped. To be honest I was hesitant (to say the least) to put video of myself up for public viewing - but I'm glad I did because I (like you) have received some really useful feedback.

To be honest the hardest bit was actually watching the videos myself for the first time!

As for being too hard on myself - you might be right. I guess it's a bit of frustration in hitting a plateau ... at the moment making any noticable improvements in my skiing seems like pulling teeth. But, believe it or not, I really do love my skiing - I just know that if I can improve my technique I'll love it even more Very Happy

FlyingStantoni, I'm definitely aware of my lack of body movement (this was picked up on in a previous thread). I'll also be more attentive to my fore/aft balance. In the first video I think it was partly down to the fresh snow (that's my excuse anyway!) - but I've got no excuse in the second one beacuse the piste was nicely groomed.

As I said, I'm probably going to brave the Milton Keynes snowdome this weekend. I'm not mad about the place, but hopefully I can work on some of the points made so far.
snow report
abj wrote:
[
FlyingStantoni, I'm definitely aware of my lack of body movement (this was picked up on in a previous thread). I'll also be more attentive to my fore/aft balance. In the first video I think it was partly down to the fresh snow (that's my excuse anyway!) - but I've got no excuse in the second one beacuse the piste was nicely groomed.

Umm, I guess it wasn't too clear from my earlier post, then:

my notion is that you intentionally rock back on your heels a little bit at turn finish in order to use the ski tails as a springboard to assist the little athletic hop over to the other edge.

I think this is very common and that, when reading ski reviews, a great number of 'rebound' or 'pop' comments relate to this and not to the elasticity of the -entire- ski in recovery from being flexed in the main turn.

Making any sense?
ski holidays
comprex, yep, makes sense (now I think about it).

In the past people have commented that I don't have much 'up and down' movement in my skiing - so I have been trying to 'pop'-up between turns in order un-weight the skis - so maybe this is where this movement has come from?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abj, maybe so.

I think, however, that the comments themselves were more related to your static body in between 2'o'clock and 5'o'clock and not so much meant to encourage a more vigorous exertion between 5'o'clock and the next 2.

Anyhow, you've plenty enough to think about without my further blather. I reckon you can handle what's here already; good job so far.
snow report
abj wrote:
... so I have been trying to 'pop'-up between turns in order un-weight the skis ...

If your are skiing slightly back up on your heels and you pop up there is a danger that instead of getting your hips forward and across your skis when you begin the new turn by getting even more into the back seat.
snow report
abj, at the dome try skiing directly down the fall line briefly and then rotate both feet simulataneously quckly across the hill and skid to a stop. do this slowly at first and try to speed up once you can do with both feet on teh deck. these hockey stops will cure your stem quickly.
snow report
abj,
Quote:

To be honest the hardest bit was actually watching the videos myself for the first time!

Me too Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I totally agree with posted above, its really quite good! Not much of things we don't want to see.

If you could manage to bend your ancles more, it'll get the balance centered over your skis better.

I think you'll indeed have to work on the un-weighting of the skis as you tried, but you'll need to do this from the centered stance (per above).
This up-down movement is supposed to be ancle-knee, and a decent excersize to get the feel of it is to get in your boots, stand against a wall with boots & bottoms and try (keeping upper body fixed!). That way you cannot throw yourself backwards. Another nice way is to try this together with someone who does it right & equal height on a t-bar Wink

The unweighted moment makes it easier to guide the skis in the new direction, making you less inclined to stem just that tiny bit.
latest report
abj wrote:

In the past people have commented that I don't have much 'up and down' movement in my skiing - so I have been trying to 'pop'-up between turns in order un-weight the skis - so maybe this is where this movement has come from?

Popping up to unweight your skis is old school technique and IMO isn't the way forward on modern skis. At least not for smooth medium/long radius turns at higher sppeds. Warren Smith covers this very well in his videos and advocates a more consistent mid stance while carving turns. If you pop up too much during the transition it makes the skis lose their edge grip. As I grew up on skinny planks, it took me a while to stop unweighting so much.
ski holidays
Thanks for the comments/advice everyone. I'm going to have a play/practice and see what happens.

I shall let you know how I get on!
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
Popping up to unweight your skis is old school technique

I'd prefer to suggest that it's just "an option"...
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
abj wrote:

Popping up to unweight your skis is old school technique and IMO isn't the way forward on modern skis. At least not for smooth medium/long radius turns at higher sppeds. Warren Smith covers this very well in his videos and advocates a more consistent mid stance while carving turns. If you pop up too much during the transition it makes the skis lose their edge grip. As I grew up on skinny planks, it took me a while to stop unweighting so much.

Unweighting still is a basic technique, especially so in short turns, but still, to lesser extend in long, high speed and carving.
If you grew up on the very long, harder to initiate a turn on skis, I imagine you'd be unweighting too much (more then needed) for a short shaped ski.

Unweighting is supposed to be in the transition phase, where there is not a lot of force on the edges. Just after high-unweighting (or deep-unweighting, mostly used by racers) the full weight of your body comes back on the skis quickly, and you can build up pressure leading into the next turn.

There are more excersizes to practice turn initiation, but for now, work on balance and unweighting technique is more then enough for the OP
snow report
Ronald, FlyingStantoni, Fair enough, just pointing out that emphasis on bobbing up and down to make the transition easier is not something you need to do with modern skis. I just happen to like the Warren Smith approach to this, with emphasis on keeping a more consistent mid/low stance throughout the turn. I'm talking about smooth carved turns on piste here, not short turns in tricky snow etc.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, In carving I tend to agree with you. The Austrian teaching does like to see some fore-inward motion in the transition phase, less unweighting, but the OP is not exactly carving yet. (Though she'll likely get there quickly enough)

I haven't seen Warren Smit material to be honest, but from what I see on the website they are very much focused on a higher level skiing then the OP is currently at, and then slightly different techniques apply Smile

The skiing and the type of turn she is at (and I repeat she is doing very well), she will benefit from unweighting the skis (using legs, not upper body, like i seen an ESF instructor do Sad !) to help initiate the new turn.
ski holidays
dont forget the hip joint.... it is not just ankles and knees...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy