Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zeebrugge or Rotterdam??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any advice welcomed..........

We are driving to Austria this Summer, and will be taking the party ferry from Hull. We have the choice of Rotterdam or Zeebrugge sailings - is there a good reason for choosing one over the other? (congestion on the other side, better access, quicker access to Germany etc).

Ta!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisdavis, I've used these ferries three times. The first was Rotterdam for travelling to Zermatt and the second was Zeebrugge for travelling to Nendaz, so final destinations not far apart.

I tried the Zeebrugge ferry just to see the difference and I have to say that both were good experiences but I can't see much difference as far as travelling once over the water, with no problems getting away from either port. One of the reason I chose Zeebrugge that year was the fact that it left one hour later, so gave me more leeway getting to Hull.

When I had a choice going to Wengen and Zermatt last year I chose the Rotterdam ferry even though I could've used either. The main reason being that the Rotterdam ferries are bigger and have better facilities in my experience.

If I go again I would always choose the Rotterdam ferry just for these reasons but if I couldn't get a place on that, then I would happily use the Zeebrugge ferry.

It is also worth booking for meals at the same time as the ferry booking as it's cheaper and the food is very good. I've found that it's a great and relaxing way to start a holiday and it's one of my favourite ways to travel.

I hope this helps. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geepee wrote:
chrisdavis I hope this helps. snowHead

It certainly does - thanks!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
geepee wrote:
chrisdavis, I've used these ferries three times. The first was Rotterdam for travelling to Zermatt and the second was Zeebrugge for travelling to Nendaz, so final destinations not far apart.

I tried the Zeebrugge ferry just to see the difference and I have to say that both were good experiences but I can't see much difference as far as travelling once over the water, with no problems getting away from either port. [b]One of the reason I chose Zeebrugge that year was the fact that it left one hour later, so gave me more leeway getting to Hull.[/b]
When I had a choice going to Wengen and Zermatt last year I chose the Rotterdam ferry even though I could've used either. The main reason being that the Rotterdam ferries are bigger and have better facilities in my experience.

If I go again I would always choose the Rotterdam ferry just for these reasons but if I couldn't get a place on that, then I would happily use the Zeebrugge ferry.

It is also worth booking for meals at the same time as the ferry booking as it's cheaper and the food is very good. I've found that it's a great and relaxing way to start a holiday and it's one of my favourite ways to travel.

I hope this helps. snowHead

Not being pedantic but the above info is incorrect. The Rotterdam ferry actually departs at 21.00 local time and the Zeebrugge at 19.00 local time for ALL sailings

The extra 2 hours is a good safety valve and as mentioned the Rotterdam boats are newer, bigger, and better.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, Embarassed I've just realised. I took the Rotterdam ferry for the very reason that I had an extra hour and I'm sure then that there was only one hour difference. The next year I didn't need to get there with a tight deadline, so got the Zeebrugge ferry.

Anyway, the rest of the information is correct if you want to trust an old git with a failing memory.
Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
chrisdavis wrote:
Any advice welcomed..........

As Frosty says the Rotterdam boat leaves two hours later from Hull & Europort this is a worthwhile extra travel time even though the drive is 70 or so miles longer.

If you are arriving in Europe on a week day traffic around Rotterdam can be murder for rush hour where as Zebrugge access is clear motorways more easily, if you are arriving on the weekend however this negates the problem.

Hope that helps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
midgetbiker wrote:
even though the drive is 70 or so miles longer.

chrisdavis - sorry just realised you said you were driving to Austria so the drive will be no longer, maybe shorter from Europort Embarassed .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
midgetbiker, Dead right - NEVER underestimate the Dutch traffic. It can be worse than ours....but not too bad at weekends.

geepee, correcting folks can be very rude. I suspected what you had done but thought it an important clarification wink snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 27-01-09 0:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I reckon there's only about 15 maybe 20minutes difference, assuming no difference in traffic. Rotterdam ring/A20 (I think?) can be a complete nightmare at times, and I've nearly missed ferries as a result (once I screeched to a halt blocking them from shutting the gate on me). Brussels ring can be a 'mare too, but only the turn off from the ring back on to E40 (more a case of being in the right lane before you get the SatNav alert).
Assuming overnight ferry, then you'd probably miss the mess anyway.

PS I hear the Zeebrugge-Rosyth ferry is returning to service. Might give that a go on my next jaunt to Scotland, instead of Amsterdam-Newcastle.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
midgetbiker....but not too bad at weekends.

Hopefully not too bad on Saturday when I shall be negotiating it on my way to a fortnight in Chamonix Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy