Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern questions

Poster: A snowHead
We're skiing in Obertauern for 7 days at half term. Is it worth paying the little extra for the 'Lungo' pass which covers a few other resorts in the area, or will we (the OL and me, not looking to push back the frontiers of long distance or high speed skiing, and the kids, pretty much the opposite, and keen on a bit off piste) be satisfied with the Obertauern skiing? What's the bus like between the resorts, does anyone know, as we shan't have a car (I believe it's thrown in with the 'Lungo' pass)?

Any suggestions as to a good bootfitting shop?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's hard to advise someone else what they should do, but I didn't even get close to being bored of the skiing there in the week I was there. Although the piste mileage is not that high by French mega-resort standards, every run is different from the last one as you are going round a bowl rather than up and down a single mountain side - so it feels like there is more than there is (if that makes sense). There are plenty of options for off-piste excursions.

I'd have thought that your kids would be better off having someone show them some lesser known and off-piste runs than go for a day to a new resort which they wouldn't know and where they'd have to stick to the pistes Confused

Can't help with the shop - sorry. We just went to the nearest Embarassed but it did the job Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have used the Gloria in the past and they were fine but not for a while we have our own kit now.
Regarding the pass it would depend if you are a mile muncher or not
We have never bothered for a six day trip

Heading there on Saturday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond, not sure I'd bother - it's not *that* close to any other resorts by Ski Bus.

You could have a really good day at Grosseck-Spiereck which would be around 20 minutes on the bus, anywhere else would probably be too great a faff.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I too am going to Obertauern in Feb for a week and i was thinking there may not be enough to keem me occupied for the whole time. However, I know someone who goes every year and apparently the runs are interesting and varied enough and that the off-piste also will keep you quite busy. I think the piste map makes it look smaller that it is?
I can't wait to go now! The conditions look great as well!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Went last year for a week, and unless your desire is to put in a very large milage, all of which is not to be repeated, then there is more than enough for most good intermediates for a week. It is an excellent resort for a week, unless you have made a big mistake, and should be in Chamonix, on a few dodgy couloirs. Never went near any transport. Almost all hotels are but for say a couple of hundred yards max ski in ski out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond, was there for 2 weeks last year and enjoyed it very much. Didn't feel limited. There is a fair amount of easily accessible off-piste which should keep the kids happy too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond,
I did get an extended ski pass though not the Lungo one and was glad I did though I had a car. Not because the skiing in Obertauern is insufficient but because situated on a pass it is exposed in bad weather. There were two days of very high winds when Obertauern was pretty unpleasant but we had excellent skiing in Zauchensee. I don't think that is on the Lungo pass though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks one and all. Sounds as if Obertauern will be enough for us, although the 7 day Lungo pass is only €6ish more for the 7 days than the Obertauern pass so we might buy them, just in case. Sounds exactly the sort of resort I enjoy, and if there's some off piste available for the kiddywinks, it should be a winner all round. Dodgy couloirs are not required by us, thanks very much, although the kids would like them.

My son fancies the kite skiing offered by one of the schools. Anyone tried it?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond, I thought I'd posted something more helpful on this before...

slikedges wrote:
Carlos_L, I went to Obertauern for 2 weeks this season. Also a family group, largely skiing intermediate terrain. My plan had been to spend the last few days doing day-trips to nearby Ski Amade or Schladming but because temperatures got so hot in the second week, we stayed the whole 2 weeks in Obertauern (very glad that booking well in advance, as we always have to do, we had the good sense to book a high altitude (for Austria wink ) resort as most other places in Austria, certainly in Salzburgerland, were just a slush-fest that second week).

Whether it's too small for a whole week depends on how you like to ski. The runs are relatively short as the vertical is limited to 500m! and you can pretty much ski everything pisted in a day or two if a competent skier. Skiing is on both sides of a single valley and there's a clockwise and an anticlockwise circuit you can do which leads you through the main runs in each area. Each way round takes a couple of hours or so. If you're the kind of skier who likes to feel like you're travelling cross mountain through valley it will feel very limited. However, if you're happy to ski each of the runs on the same hillside, work out which you prefer and ski it again, maybe on the left of the run this time, where the snow looked better or you spotted some rollers, or doing bigger carves rather than short swings, you'll have a great time. The pisted terrain is quite fun and attractive, it's reasonably challenging for a family group, and there's plenty enough variety and mileage given the provisos mentioned. The few blacks are appropriately graded but not especially difficult. Certainly we didn't feel too limited and will definitely be back at some point. There's also a fair amount of enjoyable off piste on the south-west side of the valley not too difficult but interesting, and some off-piste routes off the top of the north-east side which looked interesting and I'm told are well worth a slide.

Don't know about apartments I'm afraid but otherwise HTH. snowHead

BTW this was half-term and IIRC we had bought the Super Salz pass!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going to give this a bump, as we're headed there for the weekend in a couple weeks.

Just looking for any tips, really.

Steepest runs? Easily accessed off-piste?
Best mountain restaurants/huts?
Best food in the village?
Apres-action?
My girlfriend will be xc skiing, any insight on how good it is? Where is it easy to meet for lunch (that I can ski to and that doesn't require her taking a lift)?
Ski rental suggestions (choosing to demo rather than pay to transport our own)?

Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best mountain restaurant is on run 24c near the helipad. It does a giant pizza for 9 euros that is more than enough for 2 people to share and it also has the best interior decor and atmosphere. Second best is the Monte-Flu slightly higher up the mountain. Nice woodland runs in this usually completely empty corner of the resort.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ami in berlin,
Steepest run off Gamslighten 2 lift
There are certainly XC to some of the huts cant remember which ones without the map though
I would second the Flu as a lunch stop its on the way to the snowboard park
Also Sonnhof which is a hotel in the middle of the hill at the same end of the resort
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good to read these details of Obertauern as I'm off there the first week in March. Ray Zorro, Garfield, slikedges, et al - any recomendations for stuff like:-

- bars, restaurants, apres ski
- ski schools
- good hire shops - I've my own gear, but there's others in the group who will rent

Any general advice on bits & pieces would be good

And of course if there are any snowHead in Obertauern at the same time I am, more than happy to meet up for skiing and of course, a few sherberts! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sleipnir, Plenty bars etc
We have always been HB so I cant really recommend places for evening eating
Lunchtimes any off the huts I have been to I would go to again food usual Austrian fair and consistent quality we often stop at the Sonnhof or Flub for lunch
For later at night Monkey Circus or the Tarverna are interesting experiences though Ive not been in ether for a couple of years (its an age thing)
When we hired gear we have used the Gloria and also the intersport shops but that was a while ago I would try whichever one is closest to where you are staying

Two days before we are there Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Garfield wrote:
two days before we are there Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You'll have to give me a full report when you return. My Austrian buddy (in Amstetten) has told me that they had half a metre of snow in the last day or so.......lots of the white stuff for you to enjoy then!!!

Have a great one
ski holidays
Thanks folks. Bootfitting seems to be in short supply in Obertauern.
ski holidays
Obertauern is great. There is some great off piste-just look between the runs. Be aware of avalanche danger. A guide for the kids might be a good idea on the first day. The Grosseck-Speiereck is also a nice place to ski and it may be less crowded than obertauern at half term.
latest report
Sleipnir, Back in one piece again
I will just say weather was variable
We had from -12 with high wind to +2 and sitting out in tea shirt for lunch
Snow conditions good all runs open with some a bit crunchy first thing
Only lift ques were when some of the higher lifts were stopped due to the wind and one day when there was a lot of cloud about. There are few trees above about midway up for days when visabilities poor.
It was snowing when we left on Saturday afternoon and there was more snow forecast with the temperature dropping way down again
Favorite lunch stop still the Flu which is on te way to the fun park at the Grunwaldcop lift end of the village
They have pisted run 4d which is shown as a ski route on the map was forced to give it a go it looks easy from the lift on the way up. It is STEEP on the way down though Shocked worth a go at least once though
Large beer between 3.8 and 4.1 euros
Salzburg airport was the usual crush but flights were more or less on time
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy