Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing during Oct or Nov

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Im thinking of going skiing Oct/Nov time (part of my honeymoon), im only looking for a short break as in Jan ill be skiing in Austria. Is there anywhere with good skiing around that time?

I dont mind if its Europe or even America......if its america I would tie it it with another city on my travels.

Your advises please?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GoodMorgan, Can be a bit pot luck - conditions can vary a lot from year to year. But somewhere high with a glacier (with lifts open, obviously) is your best bet - Les Deux Alpes, Tignes, Verbier would be the resorts I would be researching first, I think.

Oh - and welcome to snowheads. Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 26-01-09 9:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt would be fine Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GoodMorgan, welcome to snowHeads.

I've skied in Tignes several times pre-season, from the end of October to the end of November just before the resort officially opens. The available terrain is mostly limited to the Grand Motte glacier, which has a cablecar, a chairlift and three long t-bars serving one black piste, a few reds and a couple of blues. Obviously it's weather and snow dependent, and it can range from fresh powder under blue skies to skiing on glacial ice with terrible storms. The one drawback is that a lot of ski racing clubs use the glacier for pre-season training so a good proportion of the available terrain is used up with GS and slalom training lanes (I think this will be the same for a lot of the glaciers which offer skiing at that time of the year).

I don't think I would spend a week skiing pre-season unless I wasn't doing something like race training, but for a short break to get the ski season off to an early start it's a great thing to do.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In Austria I expect all the glacier areas would be open in October, Stubai, Hintertux, Kitzsteinhorn, etc. End of November higher normal areas, e.g. Obergurgl, may be opening (or even lower ones, depending on snowfall).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GoodMorgan, I've skied at Les 2 Alpes, Tignes and Hintertux during Oct/Nov and from that limited experience I would only want to return to Hintertux for pre-season skiing if I went again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We went to NZ for our honeymoon in mid November last year, just missing the last weekend of skiing at Whakapapa on the North Island - where they had an incredible 5m base! So there's a chance it may be open in October this year.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did Lake Louise for our honeymoon. Arrived 29th Nov for 10 days. Plenty of snow and cold.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My vote also for Zermatt, it has a glacier if all else fails, and it is a honeymoon after all, so skiing not the most important thing. Zermatt very romantic and beautifull. Very special for a lifelong memory.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for Tignes, especially the Mountainsun deal. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GoodMorgan,I skied at Stubia a few years ago in October it was brilliant loads of runs to ski, and loads of Snow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We used to ski and paraglide Tignes every October and had a great time but the last time we went the car park was packed with vehicles of ski race teams. The cable car was busier than it gets in February and most of the glacier was covered with race gates. Anywhere in Canada or USA will be VERY COLD. My vote goes to Zermatt Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went down to Tignes in Nov for a weekend. Two days of horrific conditions- bear in mind the glacier is high and exposed- and one day of sunshine. Good fun but the most of the slopes were reserved for race training. I reckon it'll only amuse you for a day or two at most....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Im sure Tignes will be open but it is in no way romantic at all....I would head to Zermatt, Saas Fee or maybe Oppdal in Norway. in the Norwegian resorts you have a better chance of not being confined to a glacier, there are lots of other other activities and you might get to see the northern lights......but a beer will cost you £5!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

the Norwegian resorts ......but a beer will cost you £5!!!

Another advantage over Tignes then. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy