Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap food for france (Tignes)

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

As some of you may have read i have a trip booked for the end of feb.

i just looked at the exchange rate and was shocked, 1.035 is the best offer i got (moneysavingexpert.com compare)

So was wondering of any of you seasoned skiiers/boarders had some tips/hints/suggestions for cheap stuff to buy while your out there - obviously avoid resturants and snack bars where possible.

we will be taking lots of our own stuff out there anyway (precooked meals, treats etc) so what about when your there?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
xxtokerxx, personally I wouldn't worry too much about taking stuff like precooked. MrsFlyingStantoni and I spent around £170 on food for 16 days over Christmas New Year, which is probably £20 more than we'd spend in the UK. But we ate well and I always think that the quality of fresh produce is much better in France - even in the mountains.

Lunch and coffees on the mountain are a big drain. With plat du jours running at 12-14 euros and drinks at 2.5-5 euros it's easy to end up spending 20 euros each on lunch and another 5 euros on coffees.

By far the easiest way to save money is to take your own lunch and a flask. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to eat outside as many resorts have picnic halls (Salle Hors Sac) - although you'd be wise to arrive early (we hit them at 11:30 if we take a packed lunch) as they're very popular with school groups and ski clubs.

But by far the biggest drain is drinking beer in a bar. 7-9 euros a pint is neither funny nor an economical way to spend the evening.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I always think that the quality of fresh produce is much better in France

Even as a francophile I wouldn't agree that that's always the case. Some of the small shops inevitably have a very slow turnover of fresh produce (though not at New Year). But you can certainly eat well, and not ridiculously expensively, if you DIY. A hot choc on the mountain becomes a special treat; not for every day.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
xxtokerxx, If you are driving over you can always stop at the Supermarkets in Albertville , Moutier or Bourg St Maurice (you will almost drive by the entrance at the end of town ) and stock up.
Moutier even has a Lidl!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 26-01-09 8:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni, any ideas on picnic halls or picnic spots in Oz/Alp dHuez? Never skied France before and did not see similar facilities in Switserland or Austria.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
xxtokerxx, all that pam w says. Another thought - -f you do want a restaurant meal for some reason, skiing down to resort is often cheaper than eating on mountain.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's an outdoor snack bar in Val Claret which is a bit cheaper for paninis or burger and chips than sitting down in a restaurant. I's on the snowfront and is easy to find.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lizski, There are some picnic tables at Alpe D'Huez just as you go down from Signal to Villard Reculas, probably others too. Didn't see a picnic room though, but I wasn't looking last year prices were a lot better then. However I did go back to the apartment for lunch several times (it was ski in/out) if you can try that.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Moutier even has a Lidl!

So does Bourg St. Maurice!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lizski wrote:
FlyingStantoni, any ideas on picnic halls or picnic spots in Oz/Alp dHuez? Never skied France before and did not see similar facilities in Switserland or Austria.

I don't sorry - I only know places tucked away around Morzine (my local area).

They're often not very obvious as the local restauranters would obviously prefer you to eat in their restaurants - so it's quite common that they're either not signposted or have signs that are in 8 point letters.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We took a big cooked gammon with us - useful for sandwiches for lunchtime. Also stocked up at Lidl/champion. Took things like left over Xmas cake, porridge etc
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We stopped at the Geant in Albertville - did a huge shop for 9 people (6 adults, 3 kids) for around €200. But that did us all week - topped up during the week on bread, milk and ham.

Didn't eat or drink out at all - but had lots of nice food (I cooked so am biaised) and wine in chalet. Won't suit all, but worked for us with young kids
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Aspen Bar at Val Claret is v. reasonable
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lizski wrote:

There's a hall ('salle hors sac') at the top of the Montfrais bubble over at the Vaujany end and also one at the Vaujany bottom station if that's any help. Tables dotted about the place too, marked on the piste map.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everybody, picnics the way to go this year. Sounds great that there are dedicated spots.
latest report
when we went to alpe d'huez, we had lunch for two on the first day - set us back £40. so we took a picnic everyday after that - the restaurants were deserted and everyone had picnics - hardly a good place left to sit on the snow coz everyone was doing the same
ski holidays
xxtokerxx,
Even with the slump in the £, Le P'tit Savoyard restaurant in Tignes Val Claret offers great value for money - ie assuming that the same offer is on as has been for at least the previous 2 winters.

It might have gone up by a euro or two, but last winter the place was doing 3 courses from a set menu for 15 euros. Cracking value and excellent food - eg starters like onion soup or quiche, main courses like chicken with tarragon or salmon and desserts such as chocolate mousse. Quite nice surroundings too.

You can also get reasonably priced (in the curent climate) pizzas in a few places (P'tit Savoyard included) - round about 9 or 10 euros.

There are a few places that do other good value set menus as well - though a bit dearer than the place mentioned above.

Also, the Chinese in Val claret does an all you can eat buffet - which we have never got round to trying yet. I don't think it was too exorbitant though.

Of course the killer is the price of drinks - don't forget that Snowheads get discount at The Alpaka Lodge at Tignes le Lac.
snow report
mountainaddict, Sounds good I'll check it out when I'm there next weekend. Yes the drinks will significantly raise the price but hey, I'm on holiday Smile
snow conditions
You've got to laugh!

The moderators have banned the real name of the restaurant quoted by Mountain Addict - PC-ness gone a tad mad me thinks... Confused

The restaurant is of course not called the P'booby Savoyard but is called the Petit Savoyard (but without the "e"). French for small - but nothing to do with breast size!!
snow report
Shocked Shocked
snow report
Try Tignes Cuisine for lunch (next door to the Loup Bar, along the road from the base of the Aeroski). Tasty noodles for 5euros!
snow report
John Crawford, nothing to do with the moderators - some 'naughty' words are automatically replaced with less 'offensive' words. Your 'tit' obviously fell into this category Toofy Grin
latest report
Awesome awsners and what is this about discounts for snowHeads?! sounds amazing Smile how can I get in on that Smile
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
xxtokerxx,
Even with the slump in the £, Le P'booby Savoyard restaurant in Tignes Val Claret offers great value for money - ie assuming that the same offer is on as has been for at least the previous 2 winters.

It might have gone up by a euro or two, but last winter the place was doing 3 courses from a set menu for 15 euros. Cracking value and excellent food - eg starters like onion soup or quiche, main courses like chicken with tarragon or salmon and desserts such as chocolate mousse. Quite nice surroundings too.

You can also get reasonably priced (in the curent climate) pizzas in a few places (P'booby Savoyard included) - round about 9 or 10 euros.

There are a few places that do other good value set menus as well - though a bit dearer than the place mentioned above.

Also, the Chinese in Val claret does an all you can eat buffet - which we have never got round to trying yet. I don't think it was too exorbitant though.

Of course the killer is the price of drinks - don't forget that Snowheads get discount at The Alpaka Lodge at Tignes le Lac.

Unfortunately the chinese is no longer in val claret, remember u can get half a roast chicken, large salad and frites at the escale blanche for just 13 euros, only 10 metres from the aeroski and 30 metres from us. Razz
latest report
Also try the SPAR supermarket in Le Lac. Burger €6, Drinks €2, Sarnies €5.

With all the money you save come and have a beer in the Alpaka €2.50 snowhead rate.
ski holidays
stewart woodward,
Quote:

Also try the SPAR supermarket in Le Lac. Burger €6, Drinks €2, Sarnies €5.

Hi Stewart how are you?
Yes I thought it was very reasonable in there as well. Also they have a reasonably sized seating area in there with free WiFi if one needs it. Little Angel
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Hi Stewart how are you?

Have basically spent the past 3 weeks suffering from Man Flu and other various ailments, so not skiing a lot Sad

We have had some great weather and snow ( i have been told) but i have been missing out Sad

Hopefully tomorrow i will be fit enough to ski again Very Happy
latest report
xxtokerxx,
Quote:

i just looked at the exchange rate and was shocked, 1.035 is the best offer i got (moneysavingexpert.com compare)

If you haven't done so already, have a look into getting a Nationwide Flex account with the Visa debit card, they also do a credit card. I do my banking elsewhere but opened a Nationwide Flex account just for my skiing trip monies, the rate I have received on any purchases lately has been consistently good and also you are not charged a fee for making purchases with their credit or debit card (cash advances on the credit card are of course chargeable as they are in the UK). I put enough money in my Nationwide account to cover everything I need and then use the cash machines in Tignes (there is one in Le Lac round the corner from the SPAR actually and I pay by Visa debit card for the lift pass.

That way should be cheaper than you taking cash with you. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward, oh sorry to hear about that, I read about your man flu on a previous page but am surprised you have still been unwell.

When I was in Tignes in Dec I had the most God awful cough for 3 weeks! It only went 2 days before I left.

I shall be back in Tignes all being well later this season snowHead I only saw you briefly in the Aspen that one day in Dec.

Remind me, how much are the cheeseburgers in the Aspen? I had an Aspen burger when I was in there and that was a bit much for me with all the egg and everything I must admit Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Alpaka Lodge wrote:
Unfortunately the chinese is no longer in val claret.......

Not a great loss to be honest. We went last year and thought it pretty poor.

Al Packer can you sit a group of 30 in half term week?
latest report
Mosha Marc, give me some details on a pm and i'll get back to you. Cool
snow conditions
Done. snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Moutier even has a Lidl!

So does Bourg St. Maurice!!

so does Annemasse
ski holidays
stewart woodward,

Hi mate,

What do I need to do to get these super drinking rates?

Loving the details in this thread, the girlfriend has begun printing pages and pages of stuff for a trip folder, so i'll get these added for bargain skiing!
snow report
xxtokerxx wrote:
stewart woodward,
Hi mate,

What do I need to do to get these super drinking rates?!

Go into the Alpaka order a beer and ask for snowheads rate Very Happy It's that easy wink

It's normally helps to say hellow to 'Tony' & 'Osar' as well rolling eyes
snow conditions
With all this talk of 7-9 Euro beers ( Shocked ) and lunches of 15+ Euros, I feel less angry about having to pay 3.50 for a beer in Kitzbuhel... "At the current exchange rate, that's like £3.50!" were my thoughts at the time, but heck, maybe i was being naive rolling eyes

Seriously, is the skiing in France that much better? Puzzled
ski holidays
Stop in a supermarket in the valley and stock up with food and especially beers. I don't know about prices in Austria - it's years since I was there, but in the old days of schillings it was pretty expensive. However, I imagine that some big name Austrian resorts are much pricier than smaller places. The same is true in France. All these generalisations like "Austria is cheap, France is expensive", or "the snow will always be better on high altitude slopes" are just irritating. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Markus wrote:
... having to pay 3.50 for a beer in Kitzbuhel...

Is that for a big beer or a little beer?
snow report
When in Selva last week, the rep told us it was impolite to ask for tap water when in the hotel. Occasionally I did buy bottled water, but I reserve the right to ask for tap water if I want!! I don't care how "rude" it is.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Markus wrote:
... having to pay 3.50 for a beer in Kitzbuhel...

Is that for a big beer or a little beer?

0.5L Weissbier...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy