Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
from the Tignes website:
Quote:
January is a fabulous time to come skiing: there is plenty of fresh powder and it is outside the school holidays, when you can lose yourself totally.

if only that bit about powder was true this year!

Has anyone been in Tignes recently? Are you able to give an update of the piste conditions? (off-piste is obviously out of the question!)

Will I wreck the base of my board next week? (if so, I'm taking skiing lessons!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tony,
Came back from Tignes on the 2nd and it was just showing that it needed new snow, bare patches and rocks showing. As there has been little or no snow since I assume the conditions have deteriorated.
Although I'm sure the cannons are working flat out to keep the pistes open.
Just hope for some new snow
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes & Val D'Isere wasn't too bad at the moment but the colour of a couple of runs weren't white when I left a few days ago. Some runs were stony but the condition was better than Paradiski.

Best condition in Tarentaise I found was in Courchevel low areas like 1650, 1850 and La Tania.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks to both of you. the ski lessons are looking increasingly likely....especially as there is no snow showing on the short range forecasts. This seems like a good time to learn a new skill without depriving myself of great conditions.

I reckon that I can have a few days trying my hand at skiing and hope that fresh snow appears for later in the week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks the same for me but in reverse - boarding lessons I reckon. Anyone fancy snow dancing in Val d'Isere & Tignes - I leave Sunday home 16th Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
B00thy, if it's hard pack, i would rather be learning to ski than learning to board - get some wrist guards and some bum padding and good luck!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tony Lane, I have paid my dues - I have amassed 4.5 hours on a board and up to the level of linking a dozen turns on a St Anton blue (ie almost red). I found the steeper it got the less it hurt when I fell and the easier it was to get up again. My cunning plan was to learn from this experience an start steep, so lessening the potential pain. Do you doubt my wisdom? I have in-line skate by the way.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sounds eminently wise to me!

I remember taking some big falls in the early days - linking a couple of dozen turns, then worrying that I must lose it soon, coz I always do, and then (probably because i was thinking more about crashing than turning) i would catch an edge and SLAM. You certainly need a certain amount of slope and greens are often harder than blues when starting out because you have less momentum.

I'd stick to the blues though, as reds will just encourage bad technique as you will be more concerned with staying upright and will therefore end up sidesliping or throwing the board into the turn rather than carving smoothly.

Stick with it, make sure that your stance is correct (check out the thread on duck stance over on the boarding forum - it has links to some good articles such as http://www.kommunity.com/advice/faq.php), keep fluid and remember to turn as if you were steering a car rather than a boat (ie the front of the board leads you rather than throwing the back around behind you). (Edit - thought about that analogy again last night and realised it is rubbish. You see many people steering by throwing the back end around behind them, but the correct technique is not exactly to steer with the front but rather to steer with the whole board so that the length of the board stays on the carving S curve as much as possible. If you're a skier you will know what i mean!)

You probably know much of this if you are a skier but best of luck with the transition.[/b]
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Tony Lane, I will check out those links. The swedish blonde who taught me (don't you just hate it when you draw the short straw) was encouraging me to get my hips forward (which got the weight forward and therefor the board going down the hill) and then bring the tail round. This was to get turns going as it were. I appreciate that I need to get the whole board turning but at the moment I am bringing that tail round, steering with the back foot. When I have seen boarders doing this it doesn't look smooth and indeed a good boarder friend just seems to rock the board over and glide everywhere. Anyway, thanks again.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
B00thy wrote:
The swedish blonde who taught me (don't you just hate it when you draw the short straw) was encouraging me to get my hips forward .

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im going on the 22nd to val claret in Tignes thats a week away ! Surely there will be good snow by then ?????
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dave_wick, unfortunately for you, I only get back on the 23rd and so won't be able to give you the good news. However, I am hopeful that it will snow in the latter part of next week. (not sure why I think that, I just do!)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hopefully it should be good though !

Whats the nightlife like in Val Claret.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dave_wick, Val Claret is fine - there are plenty of restauants, bars and the odd bar/club with live music or DJ. check out www.natives.com and find the summary for Tignes.

for a chilled out drink try the Alpaka Lodge in Le Lac - more of an apres ski place than a late night place
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are the drinks expensive ????
snow report
Slowplough wrote:
B00thy wrote:
The swedish blonde who taught me (don't you just hate it when you draw the short straw) was encouraging me to get my hips forward .

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

His name was Sven.
ski holidays
YUP,
€5.00+ for less than a pint!!!!!!

Small tip.......take a hip flask out with brandy when out skiing and just buy a coffee or Hot Choc and put a warmer in.
ski holidays
5 Euros is around 3.00 is that right ?

Pretty dear !

The beers cheap in the shops is it not >???
latest report
Does anyone no if you can cash travellers cheques in Val Claret ?
ski holidays
Tony Lane wrote:

Has anyone been in Tignes recently? Are you able to give an update of the piste conditions? (off-piste is obviously out of the question!)

Dunno about Tignes but I was skiing some fresh powder yesterday at my local resort after a weather front gave us a few inches yesterday morning !
ski holidays
Wheres your resort davidof
snow report
ah sorry, no secret, yesterday I was in the 7 Laux between Grenoble and Chambèry. I was skiing in the Chartreuse (well ski touring, climbed to the top of the Dent de Crolles) earlier in the week which had spring like snow conditions. Some nasty windblown snow at altitude though. Today conditions look good again although I'm baby minding so no skiing - we've been up to the Haute-Savoie this morning.
snow report
Everyones telling me there s no snow in Tignes im starting to get worried now !!!!
snow report
Val d'Isère wasn't too bad yesterday.
ski holidays
dave_wick, the webcams show that there certainly is snow, but it is probably extremely hard and maybe patchy or rocky. Care with missing the stones will probably be needed but i have no doubt that there is skiing to be had - even if it is not great. Fingers crossed that there will be a refresher later next week.

I'm on the Eurostar tonight and am still looking forward to a good week ahead, whatever happens.
latest report
That's about it... forget off piste, the couple of centimetres freshened things up a bit, but temperatures are rising.

Rock hard on some of the shadier runs such as the piste 'G' in Val on Thursday and early on in Les Menuires today, not too bad later in afternoon.
ski holidays
Surely this place is due a big dump of snow anyone heard ???
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy