Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Luggage Labels

Poster: A snowHead
If you travel with a TO they obviously provide their luggage labels, but if you go DIY as we are this year then you dont get any Sad Now you can pick them up at the airport form the airline, usually crap though.

In the past when not using TO ones we have obtained some from an Independant Travel co. we have used, and they are usually good quality too.

So what to do other people do about tagging their luggage ?

We've decided to use something a little different this year courtesy of SWMBO Toofy Grin

Printed sticker with details on the reverse - job done. For return pre printed sticker to stick over orignal details taken our with us. Easy to recogines too on the conveyor Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I never use a luggage label. The airline stick one on, and I have a sheet of paper inside the case with my name, address and contact details on.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I have a sheet of paper inside the case with my name, address and contact details on

Don't you lock your case?? If not, are you not bothered about people rumagging through your smalls? Seems a hell of a lot easier just to put a label on the outside to me..... Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the ice perv, the chances are that if the airline ticket has been torn off, then my flimsy luggage label will have gone too. A label on the outside that has my home address on is a sure sign to the check in/ground staff that I'm away from home.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Don't you lock your case??

Just back from Utah (great time had by all): On arrival we found a label inside our ski bag saying (words to the effect of) "The authorities deemed it necessary to go through this bag....if you had a lock on it (which we hadn't) we have smashed it off. Tough luck."

Quote:

If not, are you not bothered about people rumagging through your smalls?

No - why would you be?? Unless the clue is in the name - ie the ice perv - and the type of
open crotch/studded/leather kit worn by the said perv Toofy Grin .........
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

A label on the outside that has my home address on is a sure sign to the check in/ground staff that I'm away from home.

Outbound, you'd have your hotel/chalet address on the label, so casual observers wouldn't know. I'd be far more worried about the taxi driver who picks you up for the airport run knowing you're away - if you're that paranoid, do you get picked up round the corner, standing on the pavement?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the ice perv, It is recommended to have it inside the case as well. Also, going to the US, you are advise not to lock the case or they might crop the locks off as happened to me once.

This is a proper luggage tracking system designed and run by former airline lost luggage staff... www.i-trak.com
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

open crotch/studded/leather

Nearly! Smelly impact shorts, perhaps...... Blush
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the ice perv, taxi driver? Why have mates if you can't get one of them to run you to the airport in exchange for petrol money and a few beers. I can honestly not remember the last time I got a taxi anywhere in the UK.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elizabeth B, maybe these mates can stand guard over your mansion while you're away, as hordes of dishonest baggage handlers make a bee-line to burgle your flat-screen and microwave..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
www.globalbagtag.com
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you know the secret, you can get into a locked zip suitcase in a couple of seconds and can leave it looking as if it were never opened, all without undoing the padlock. I never bother locking mine for this reason. It does beg the question how many ski boots go walkies, particularly at the home of organised pilfering, LHR.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the ice perv, don't have a mansion, flat screen and the microwaves bust. Anyway, why would I need those mates to stand guard.....that's what lodgers are for. If you have a problem, then by all means, put a luggage label on your case....but if that happens to come off, then don't complain that you never see your suitcase again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I stick a label on the outside of my bag with the address inside it so its not visible to a casual observer, but can be removed if the bag needs to find me
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We take a couple of flights most months and use:
A metal tag well attached to the case with a sticky label on it showing surname, mobile no & flight no's (tags stay on the cases permanently, labels change).
A note inside the case with name, multiple contact no's and flight details.
A ziplock to secure the case shut which will stop accidental opening or a casual thief (it also makes it obvious as soon as you get your case if anyone has been in it) and if security cut it off then no drama.
snow conditions
My 'open up' style labels have my mobile number, postcode and email address. Easy enough to contact me in the event of a bag going AWOL.
ski holidays
midgetbiker, a ziplock is a great idea - might well use that next time
snow report
Megamum, Well worth it. I keep a handfull in my hand luggage. Saved me no end of hassle once when Geneva customs wanted to open my ski bag. I had loads of clothes wrapped round the skis and it would have been a right pain to repack. But... no one had a pair of scissors to cut the tie lock off... so after much asking around for a cutting implement they just let it go through Laughing
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
I never use a luggage label. The airline stick one on, and I have a sheet of paper inside the case with my name, address and contact details on.

Obligatory on SNCF (well TGV) now - not that I saw anyone policing it.
snow report
I ziplocked mine but it didn't stop someone making off with my skis and boots at geneva airport.....(ba******s)... I have decided that the next bag I get will have my initials in pink fluorescent paint 6" high round it ! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
I can generally always find my bags - label or not.

I mean I only have to look in the boot wink
ski holidays
Oooh - I never realised luggage tags could be so controversial, just goes to show wink

We have openable-up permanent luggage tags and we secure our bags with cable ties - deters the casual thief, you can see if it has been tampered with, but security can cut them off no problem. Nail clippers in hand luggage can cut them open on arrival Toofy Grin
latest report
cathy, we've not got to page 13 yet wink
latest report
Global Bag Tag. Never lot a piece of luggage since I've been using them. They also protect from tiger attacks.

the ice perv, seems like you don't know the basics re. tagging luggage, nor do you have neighbours who'd keep an eye on your place while you're away.
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
cathy, we've not got to page 13 yet wink

Nor has anyone asked what all this is to do with 'The Piste' wink
snow conditions
Not quite on topic but I find that a couple of GB car stickers on the outside of plastic type cases makes them easy to spot on the conveyer belt. Mine have been on around 3 years now and have not peeled off.
latest report
kendadj, or snowHeads stickers Very Happy
latest report
Wouldn't mind a snowHead sticker for the outside of my bag, but like Elizabeth B, I tend to label mine properly on the inside and just have my name on the TO label. Nor do I lock it. I think I've opened a suitcase lock with a pen before when a friend lost her keys. Seems pretty pointless. I don't carry anything of particular value in it anyway, although I do take a change of undies in my hand luggage just in case...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just make sure my name and mobile phone number is on a tag outside my bag and on another tag inside.
snow conditions
I have plastic tags that were from a KLM offer a couple of years ago. You sent them a picture and they sent back two personal plastic tags, free of charge.

The tags have your email address and your mobile number on them, nothing else. The rubber attachment bands are very strong.

There is no point putting locks on zips. If customs want to have a look, they will break the lock off. If scrotes want to get in, they will use a stanley knife.
ski holidays
bar shaker, I've got KLM tags like that, except mine have got nice pictures of KLM planes and they very kindly printed my mobile no. and email address on them. They're great Very Happy
latest report
Got a new wheely case for Christmas and the combination lock on it has a code so that customs know how to get into it without braking it if they want to have a look inside (think they have a kind of masterkey)! Who knew?
latest report
HH, what case is that, and what stops other people accessing it? I'm curious ...
ski holidays
Quote:

the ice perv, seems like you don't know the basics re. tagging luggage, nor do you have neighbours who'd keep an eye on your place while you're away.

.... Puzzled I do have good neighbours.... I even lock the doors and the windows, and cancel the milk....! That is why I'm not bothered about the remote chance of someone dishonest reading my luggage tags and knowing I'm away - did you not follow my reasoning hyweljenkins?
snow report
Label on the outside just in case the TO one falls off. Other than that I've get to have a mix-up over bags with someone else (the joy of crappy looking luggage) and if bags get lost, that's what that barcode thing is for.

I've also given up locking bags. Forgot so many codes and lost so many keys that padlocks don't work for me. Went through a period of using cable ties to lock the zips but had the problem at the other end of actually getting into the bag without knife!!! Smile
snow report
Specialman, Keep a pair of nail clippers in the side pocket.
snow report
hyweljenkins wrote:
HH, what case is that, and what stops other people accessing it? I'm curious ...
See here and click on 'Travel Sentry Certified'.
ski holidays
Zip tie or padlock, a zip suitcase can be opened and closed again without damaging it while leaving the lock/zip tie in place and it takes seconds. Seriously, don't kid yourselves that any case with a zip is secure.
ski holidays
NoDosh wrote:
Zip tie or padlock, a zip suitcase can be opened and closed again without damaging it while leaving the lock/zip tie in place and it takes seconds. Seriously, don't kid yourselves that any case with a zip is secure.

Nothing is ever going to stop a determined or competent crim. The ziplocks are just there to make my cases a little bit more hassle than somebody elses, oh and to stop the zips 'drifting' open due to the handlers gentle care.
latest report
It's usually the handlers you need to worry about Evil or Very Mad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy