Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brits adopting "tuck" position......

Poster: A snowHead
On numerous ski holidays mainly in europe i have a wager on the time of day (always on first day of hol) that i spot the Brit with back bottom up in the air, hands in armpits and elbows out at right angles. I am assuming that none are snowheads Smile Fancy posting time of day that first Brit in position is noticed. Earliest I've seen was 11am. Most commonly spotted at about 3.30
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm always amused to see poles pointed skywards - "earth calling mars..."
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
think that may be an effort similar to back to the future film to get powered up by lightning strike!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Embarrassing!

Whatever do they think they look like? Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
empinky, I'm going to take a wild guess that "back bottom" is not what you typed.

But you're right. Learning a good tuck is also useful for safety - not only avoiding looking like a plonker. Getting hands well forwards pulls weight more centrally over the skis to stabilise them, reducing the chance of a 'supermarket trolley' trajectory with the inevitable result.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Legs straight, bent at the waist, poles sticking up. English toilet position Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
empinky, so true. Always makes me laugh.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, correct it was not...it sounded similar to ask when pronounced by someone educated in a public school wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're trying to make progress on a flat slope into a strong wind a decent tuck makes the difference between poling and skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, That's what I thought.

Are we referring to the tuck being used in other situations? If not then I'm probably one of the ones that's been spotted Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, sure, but one so often sees what chrisdavis describes. (I sometimes try to adopt one on a piste that threatens to flatten out, as you say, but I have never been taught the position and have no idea whether I'm doing it correctly. Probably not. Embarassed)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, sure, but one so often sees what chrisdavis describes. (I sometimes try to adopt one on a piste that threatens to flatten out, as you say, but I have never been taught the position and have no idea whether I'm doing it correctly. Probably not. Embarassed)

I quite enjoy skiing past people exhibiting the "toilet tuck" whispering to myself that they are tucking like a chalet girl. I have been taught to tuck properly and it does make a big difference to speed, when the conditions allow it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, I enjoy using the slip-stream behind such people (giving decent room of course) then standing up into a nonchalant normal skiing pose and go straight past them at a rate of knots right at the end of a long flat where they're very proud to have got so far without polling. Going past them switch is also fun.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do not understand why some people feel the need to protect their groins with their hands when they "tuck". The effect of this is, as others above have said, that the pointy ends of their poles are up and out to the sides.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know what you are all referring to. But how do you know the offenders are all Brits?
snow conditions
From what I've seen this position if frequently adopted in the snow plough!

Riding Red Rum Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I have never been taught the position

easiski taught it to me, and Kev in Tignes was duly impressed when I did it right! However, I do sometimes wonder, as I whizz down, exactly where my weight should be. Easiski probably told me, but I've forgotten. Central? I find that towards the end of a flat bit, slowing down, I seem to go faster if weight is back. A long schuss in a tuck position is quite hard work on the quads; it's always a relief to stand up.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Going past them switch is also fun.

That's brutal Laughing

I had a bit of a blast down a nice blue in Les Arcs over Christmas. I was using my GS skis for the afternoon and skiing pretty much at my limit, feeling rather too smug about how quick I was going, until some kid overtook me skiing switch Embarassed I gave up skiing for the afternoon after that, with my tail between my legs.
ski holidays
David Goldfish wrote:
empinky, I'm going to take a wild guess that "back bottom" is not what you typed.

he probably meant arse but we are not allowed to say that here as it is a family forum, I'm sure bum or bottom or even derriere would do though.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 24-01-09 19:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
What is 'skiing switch'?
ski holidays
richmond, skiing backwards.
ski holidays
richmond, a bit pointless.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
but I have never been taught the position and have no idea whether I'm doing it correctly. Probably not. Embarassed)

I'm not sure what is considered to be correct, I just try to make myself as small as possible to reduce my wind resistance. Sometimes put my hands on my bindings

I like having a laugh at people who have their poles under their oaksters sticking up into the air, thinking they're Bode Miller.
snow conditions
The Lange girl needs to get her legs wider apart.
snow conditions
laundryman, you may well say that. I could not possibly comment.
snow conditions
Speed skiers also tuck their elbows inside their knees
snow conditions
Sharkymark, poles are a different shape.
ski holidays
Also wondered if anyone has suffered collateral damage from a toilet tuck or poles coming out at right angles either in performing the above or as a result of the foresaid getting "speed wobbles" Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Speed skiers also tuck their elbows inside their knees!"

Sharkymark, Most speeding skiers don't know their derrieres from their elbows or their knees because they've mostly got their heads up their ars.s Smile
latest report
laundryman wrote:
The Lange girl needs to get her legs wider apart.

She could also do with pushing her hands out further ahead, makes steering easier.
snow conditions
I love watching people in stupid tuck positions, the funniest i saw last time i was in the alps was all but standing bolt upright with poles pointing skywars and elbows poionting out a bit which i am sure made her less aerodynamic.

My preffered tuck positions was to sit on my bindings as it is noticeably faster than a standard tuck and requires no effort from your thighs but my kness now complain horribly when i do it and have since been told that it is a easy to scrwe up your knees.
snow report
rambotion wrote:
I love watching people in stupid tuck positions, the funniest i saw last time i was in the alps was all but standing bolt upright with poles pointing skywars and elbows poionting out a bit which i am sure made her less aerodynamic.

My preffered tuck positions was to sit on my bindings as it is noticeably faster than a standard tuck and requires no effort from your thighs but my kness now complain horribly when i do it and have since been told that it is a easy to scrwe up your knees.

So your knees are knackered, you can't turn and you've got no movement range to react to bumps and hollows Puzzled
ski holidays
I was taught to rest my elbows on the front of my knees, hands loosely touching each other palms up with thumbs forward and poles hugging the line of your thigh. Works for me Neutral
snow conditions
NoDosh, I've never been taught any technique but seem to adapt the same position only with my forearms on my knees and hands forwards. It feels a bit like tucking in on a motorbike at high speed.
ski holidays
I dimly remember being taught a tuck position in my youth. But I can't say I've tried it since. I don't bend like that any more...

I admit it the martian look is rather amusing, especially when coupled with hideously expensive designer ski suit... Very Happy
ski holidays
I have to say i do enjoy looking like someone in desperate need of a toilet, with my poles pointed in several odd directions, while flying down Le Signal in Alpe D'huez. It is certainly an art. Embarassed

For me, its simply stick the ass back and try and touch my nose off my ski tips. Anyone got a wind tunnel for me to practice?? Will pay anything up to 8 euro!!
ski holidays
scrubyjoe, It's your bum that you need to get close to your heels. With that... and some Zardoz on the bases you can zip though a flat full of people poling like crazy... it's the only time I've ever had to use a tuck... get the speed up before you hit the damn thing.
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob,
Quote:

rob@rar, I enjoy using the slip-stream behind such people (giving decent room of course) then standing up into a nonchalant normal skiing pose and go straight past them at a rate of knots right at the end of a long flat where they're very proud to have got so far without polling. Going past them switch is also fun.

Laughing
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, Laughing Love it
latest report
Going asswards in the contacting alpa centauri position is the only civilized way to schuss.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy