Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chambery Airport Conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

Stuck in East Midland Airport, chomping at bit to get out to Chambery! and then La Plagne 3.00 depart delayed to at least 4.30
Does anyone know what conditions are like?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowy..........
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awesome!! Snowed Thurs night - snowed all day Friday (rain in afternoon up to about 1800m making snow a bit sticky), snowed again first thing this am, until about 10 am. more snow forecast for tonight.

Hurry up and get here!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
can't see anything on the airport website
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No actual problems at airport - have had people arrive on flights this afternoon. Not snowing at moment.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks

We are so desparate to get out there, 5 adults & 5 kids! all heading for Belle Plagne for the Crystal Hotel Turquoise.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I fly out at 7 or something tomorrow. It better not be bloody snowy wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chambery airport has to be one of, if not the worst airport at this time of year.We went on the 17th and on the approach to land, we got to "Decision Height" and because of the poor
slant visibility, the pilot had to "Go Around" and back up to the holding point . After about 15 minutes and no improvement in visibility, he announced that we were diverting to Lyon.

Landed at Lyon about 10 minutes later and then parked up at the far side of the airport, where we were held on the plane for about 2 and a half hours, while operations decided what to do.
Obviously, they were hoping to take off again and fly to Chambery and not incur the handling charge associated with sorting us, the SLF and luggage.

So a 2 hour flight, a further 2.5 hours locked in the plane going nowhere and about another hour or so waiting for the transfer coach to travel from Chambery to Lyon.

Follow this with another 2 hour transfer and considering I got up at 2am in the morning and arrived at resort at about 8 local time or 7 our time, it made for a hell of a trip.

The trouble with Chambery is that it is located in a valley and there is only one way in and one way out.The airport terminal is akin to a cattle market and I hate it !

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 24-01-09 19:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bernie, that does sound grim. Bad luck. People moan about Geneva, but it's much less likely to be untenable, is rarely closed by snowfall and never has strikes. However, on a quiet Tuesday, Chambery can be heaven. I've been switching the ignition in my car (parked free for 5 days about 40 metres from the door to the terminal) within 5 minutes of touch down.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, It would be so nice if Easyjet or Ryanair decided to daily services into Chambery........
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bernie, oh dear - rotten luck but I think you are being a bit harsh....I prefer a busy Chambrey to Geneva every time
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How busy will it be tomorrow at say.. 11? Or a week tomorrow at 8?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bernie,
Ever tried Syon?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
edsilva wrote:
bernie, oh dear - rotten luck but I think you are being a bit harsh....I prefer a busy Chambrey to Geneva every time

I would not.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Similar probs at Bresica last Sat. On Final, we could see the ground (just about), but pilot did a go around and nailed it on 2nd approach. Although we managed to land 1/2 the flights diverted to Bergammo, so total mess with coaches etc.

On way back today, vis was acceptable, but Instrument Landing System at Bresica was totally Be Nice please!, so checked in at Bresica, only to take bags back onto bus and go to Bergammo where all planes had been diverted to.
latest report
edsilva, a busy Chambery is no big problem, but a Chambery which is diverting all flights to miles away really is a pain.
snow report
When I left Chambery a couple of weeks ago they announced that a couple of incoming flights were diverted to Lyon because they were too heavy for Chambery. Not sure whose fault that was but doesn't show much forward planning. It's absolute chaos at weekends but they do seem to muddle through somehow. I think it's just not a big enough airport for their peak volumes. Was told it's great mid-week though.
ski holidays
I agree it has to be the worst airport to fly to if there's any sort of problem. Its great that its so close to the slopes, but next time I think i'll go to Geneva next time. When I flew to Chambery couple weeks ago, there was a 8 hour delay on a plane from Gatwick, so the poor sods waiting to get that plane home had to wait around in the hellhole that is Chambery - they looked utterly miserable. There's only a tiny cafe where you have to queue even to get a seat, a tiny shop and absolutely nothing else to do. Its fine if everything is on time and there is no fog, but if theres a delay I'd rather be somewhere bigger.
snow report
Driving you can do BSM to GVA or lyon in 2 hours, so does chambery really save you that much time as it's probably 90 minutes or a bit more...

Still if you're stuck in a txfr bus, you've not got much choice on destination airport I guess..
ski holidays
Lots of Issues here I guess. We just returned last night leaving at 18.45 to EMA hassle free! and after a fantastic week in Belle Plagne. We were with Crystal in their Turquoise hotel (Some service issues at lunch time for another thread perhaps).

On way out we left at 17.00 ish, landed Lyon at ~ 20.00 (Fr T), held on plane for 1/2 an hour then problems with baggage handlers (or lack of them) meant we left on coach at 22.30pm to arrive in resort after a change of Bus at ~ 02.00. While we returned OK last night, another family we holidayed with who were returning to Cardiff via Chambery at 19-20.00 had their flight diverted to Lyon. They got bussed on to Lyon from Chambery!

Resort Crystal guy told us due to "Excel" and other airline crisis they had moved all their air traffic in the area this year from Lyon to Chambery. Lyon is now their last choice contingency when they need to divert. Lyon are highly unsympathetic and it becomes a transfer logistical nightmare! Remember the 5 P’s – Prior Planning……..

This season its always going to be busy at Chambery on Saturday, IMO it’s stretching its capacity so slightest weather/mechanical issue is going to throw things - a lot! All things being well it’s great to be an extra hour nearer to some resorts but be well prepared!
snow conditions
Hi,

anyone know what the best way to get from Chambery to morzine is on the 8th Feb. I would love to share a transfer but cant afford 250 euro that everyone is quoting! Have looked into the train which gets to thoron les bains but if any of you have a spare place please let me know.

regards
Aonghus
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy