Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scary situations.

Poster: A snowHead
I was in Montgenevre 2 years ago, skiing alone.

I decieded to try the long piste on the other side of the road to the main bowl/pistes.

Clambered on to a 2 man chair in good visability and as the chair went up it got worse until I could not see the next chair above me.

At the top it was deserted and the visibility was nil, i'd never skied the piste before and could not tell whether to go left or right to find the run. It was about half past two so I thought i'd wait for things to clear. It wasn't snowing, just cloud/fog. After 1/2 an hour there was no change so I decieded to soldier on, it must have took another 20 mins to find a piste marker although i didn't know whether it was left or right. I shuffled right and it was clear that this was off piste so I shuffled over the other side to find the other piste marker.

All the time I did not see another person, I tried to quicken as I guess I was about 2800m and at the speed I was traversing It would have taken forever to get down, I then fell, away from the slope and jarred my shoulder (which still hurts to this day) I was totally disorientated and now rather scared.

I found my ski's and moved on and after a few minutes and a slight drop in altitude it suddenly cleared and within another few minutes I was in bright sunshine.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
up4it, I can recall being siimilarly disorientated in complete whiteout conditions, in my case I was lucky as I knew the area very well and had a pretty good idea as to where I was and where to go, none the less it was still scary as I knew that if I missed the piste I could go over a small but noticeable cliff, when I eventually got into better visability I found that run that would normally have taken perhaps 3 minutes had taken over half an hour Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do find my goggles offer much better visibility in difficult conditions than my sunnies, and I generally try to carry both...

I tend to stay very near to the piste markers when it's really cloudy, and like you I go very slowly...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Similar experience in Serre Chevalier last April, on a piste I have skied dozens of times.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I do find my goggles offer much better visibility in difficult conditions than my sunnies

They do, but when it's a real white out you can't see anything, no matter how good your goggles. You're practically on top of a piste marker before you see it, and you've certainly no chance of seeing the next one. I think, in a strange area at that altitude, if I'd got to the top and couldn't see the chair in front of me, and was on my own, I'd stay on the chair and go back down again! Genuine white outs are thankfully very unusual, at least at the sort of altitude I normally ski at. I've only had one real white out experience in 6 seasons. Lots of crap vis, which is not the same thing at all. If you can see two or three piste markers, it's not a white out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w,
Quote:

If you can see two or three piste markers, it's not a white out.

Quite correct, my definition of a white out is that you can't see beyond the tips of your skis with any clarity, or in piste marker terms you can't see the one beyond or behind the one you are standing by
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's a couple

Blocked all night on cliffs: http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0890-blocked-skiers-rescued-by-light-from-mobile-phone/ (flaine Friday)

Trapped under ice in freezing water:
http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0889-rescue-services-recover-off-piste-skier-trapped-under-ice/ (St Sorlin, Wednesday)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were in a white out, came off the lift at the top of the mountain. The piste dropped away from the ridge running along the top. We followed the ridge, completely missed the piste entrance an ended up accidentally following a track the piste basher had made into a complete dead end. Made us laugh when we turned around and realised about 5 other people had followed us Very Happy

You know its a real white out when you can't see the next piste marker and aren't sure if you're on the right side of the one you can see.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
Here's a couple

Blocked all night on cliffs: http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0890-blocked-skiers-rescued-by-light-from-mobile-phone/ (flaine Friday)

Trapped under ice in freezing water:
http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0889-rescue-services-recover-off-piste-skier-trapped-under-ice/ (St Sorlin, Wednesday)

The bravery of the rescuers is extradionary Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
"Friends were powerless to help"
Not carrying avalanche shovels then? Shocked

One of mine:

Was riding at Areches Beaufort. Weather was very bad but snow was very good so we decided to do a lower-level off-piste route. Plan was to ride down to the Saint-Guerin lake, put snowshoes on and walk along the walking trail at the side, then follow the road across the top of the dam and snowboard back down the road to Areches.

First part went fine, path along the side of the (hydro) lake was a wee bit hairy as the lake level was low (so giving a steep drop of 30m or so down to the water/ice). Got to the dam to find that there was indeed a recognised path/narrow road across the top. Heavy snow (and some wind) had built up a 4ft deep snow-pack on top of the dam, with a usable surface maybe 3ft wide. The safety barriers at the side of the dam were 3ft high. We therefore had to walk across the dam (wearing snowshoes and carrying boards on our backs) on a 3ft-wide, slippery, uneven surface with a 40m drop to the lake on our right and a 100m+ drop to the bottom of the dam on our left with no barriers at all.

Took 3 Leffes in Areches before I stopped shaking. Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller wrote:
The bravery of the rescuers is extradionary Shocked

Yup, I'll drink to that (from my safe, warm chair).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Only ever experienced one real white out (low cloud and snow). In Tignes, on a blue (thankfully) above Val Claret IIRC. Really had no idea about up or down. You could hear muffled noises from other skiers on what was a fairly quiet piste and no definition of anything at all beyond about a metre. In spite of being aware of the fall-line, it was very disorientating and maintaining balance in relation to the slope was extremely challenging. I was quite relieved to get down, but found the experience instructive. That's the only positive though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here's a real-life scary story from a 21-year-old, skiing near Chamonix, posted up by the Belfast Newsletter today:

Skier has lucky escape from remote mountain

An outstanding job done by the local rescue services, it would seem [note that the article runs over two pages]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, Easily done that side of the Vallorcine bowls. It always amazes me that people will ski off piste without knowing where their "outs" are.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've had the same thing happen to me in St.Anton at the top of Galzig. Wanted to get from the top of the Zammermoos chair to the Schindler chair in zero viz. And ended up on the off piste run down to St.Christoph, which does also have cliffs n'stuff to fall off. My wife was with me at the time. Both of us had skied in St.A many many times before but even so didn't even notice that we had gone wrong until it was far too late to turn back.

Easily done!
ski holidays
Remember... a proper whiteout is conditions where you appear to be encased in a sphere with the colour of the sky matching the ground and no clear delineation between them. There is a massive difference between this and simple poor visibility.
ski holidays
In Switzerland, the piste marker to the left as you ski down has a small strip of orange at the top. The one on the right has a very large strip of orange.....therefore it is easy to tell which side the piste is. Do other countries adopt this technique?
latest report
Elizabeth B, Italy has the same system. In France, the poles on the right have a small strip of orange tape, the poles on the left have none.
snow report
stevomcd, wish I'd known that a few years ago Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy