Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Just a wonderation, with the euro being so pants this year how are we faring up against the swiss franc? I know I can check exchange rates but I don't know what they would buy me over there? Also any resorts to recommend? both "intermediates" who like a drink. Just trying to do things a bit cheaper and haven't tried the swiss alps yet Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't looked recently, but last time I checked, the Swiss Franc wasn't doing any/much better than the Euro (from the perspective of exchanging sterling into it!)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
anotherproblem, I was out in Switzerland over the new year but skiing across into France in the Portes Du Soleil area. The exchange rate was poor for Euros and Swiss Francs. I found that the Swiss side is slightly better for drink prices and food. Although Switzerland has a reputation for being expensive, I have found that it can be cheaper than France.

Resorts to recommend ? Well my best recommendation would be Zermatt which looks expensive but if you look around you can find good deals. Try the North Wall Bar for cheap pizzas and cheap beer. Verbier is expensive but you can stay in cheaper resorts with access to the same area. i.e Nendaz etc.

I like Switzerland because it is well organised with good service in the restaurants and Zermatt has some of the best mountain restaurants in the Alps. It's a good a bet as anywhere this year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Swiss Franc is down from a high of nearly 2.5 to about 1.6.

However, prices in Swiss resorts are generally lower than French ones. At New Year, I paid about £3.50 for a large beer in a mountain restaurant, which I thought was not too bad.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geepee, cheers if the prices for food/drink prices are the similar to france i'll give it a miss i'm avoiding france because i don't appreciate paying up to €8 a pint!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm reminded today of the tale told by my mother of her first ski trip to Switzerland, the exchange rate was 13CHF to the pound and at teh small hotel she stayed at (for a month) they didn't have the same evening meal twice, this was in the days of currency restrictions so all she could take withe her was £50 of currency Shocked

On a more serious note and to answer the question I think that despite the current exchange rate Switzerlan will offer a slightly better deal than many French resorts, the prices in restaurants do not seem to be quite as excessive as France and teh service in my many years experience is almost always very good, wheras in france I've found that it only averages good
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Well my best recommendation would be Zermatt

but a 6 day Zermatt International pass is now £250 Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were in Zermatt last year, yes it was expensive, but the apartment we rented was huge and of very high standard. The food quality in all restaurants on mountain was also exceptional. All in all a luxury holiday at good price.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
was €224 last year at st anton, think its €234 this year which i thought was scandalous!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
anotherproblem wrote:
geepee, cheers if the prices for food/drink prices are the similar to france i'll give it a miss i'm avoiding france because i don't appreciate paying up to €8 a pint!

There's no way you will be paying €8 or the equivalent for a pint in Switzerland. Shocked We only ate in France and drank in Switzerland in the evenings. I was only paying about the equivalent of about £3-£3.50 for a pint, which isn't too bad.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lizski, Don't get me wrong I'm off there in 3 weeks and my apartment is a good price (but booked ages ago in £) but a reasonably priced holiday it wont be.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin B wrote:
Quote:

Well my best recommendation would be Zermatt

but a 6 day Zermatt International pass is now £250 Shocked

I think you'll find that lift passes across Europe look extortionate at the moment. 220 euros for the Birthday Bash for example. Shocked I'd be interested what the price is for the 3V for comparison.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geepee, belter, I will just never ever forget being asked for €16 for 2 beers, paying with a 20, sitting down with my friend and said beer, looking into my hand and realising, oh my dear lord, I have just spent €8 per beer!!!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B, lucky you!
I agree the skipass is expensive, but kids up to 8 ski free though, helps for some of us!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lizski, That is one advantage of Switzerland my daughers pass (she is 13) will be half price. When we go to France at Easter its full adult price for her too.
latest report
Switzerland 35% more expensive than this time last year just down to exchange rates - just shop around on food/beer (can't so much about passes, rail transfers etc) - we self cater off resort - i.e. Interlaken (Matten) for Wengen and Grindelwald and Rugenbrau still works out cheaper litre for litre than off licence beer in the UK. So, it's not as cheap as in recent years, but cut out a few takeaways in 2009 and you'll have recovered the extra cost - for the swiss experience - it's worth it!
snow report
Spare a thought for us South Africans, we are paying at least 60% ? (8 Rands up to R13.50) more this year for a Euro than last year! Will definately have to take sandwiches this year, if only we were not addicted to skiing then...
latest report
Just got back from Saas Fee and it was all rather pricey- managed to not go too mad though.
Average price for a burger and chips around 19 Francs, which for the time when I bought my Francs was about £15, ouch.

Biggest annoyance though was that every restaurant had price fixed tap water - 5Fr a litre!! (as tap water goes, it was pretty good though Wink )
latest report
anotherproblem, if you are self catering and are wondering how much things cost you could look on the Migros website - they have alll the prices of food etc.
snow report
We are trying Switzerland this year for the first time. One reason was the price of chalet. Last year in 3 valleys (St Martin) we paid £1400 for 4 bed self catered; same chalet this year is £2300! We've booked in 4 valleys (no not the Verbier end) a chalet which on paper looks superior for £950. English owned and paid direct to owner so currency fluctuations don't come into the equation. It will be interesting to see how food & drink prices in the shops compare. Not going till late March but will report back after.
snow conditions
eddyr, paying for tap water really bugged us all in Wengen last year. Even with our half-board package we were being charged 4 chf for a jug of tap water.
snow conditions
Am now all booked up for kitzbuhel Laughing got a cracking deal and I love austria, switzerland may be next year though Laughing
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, that's odd I've never been charged for tap water in Wengen, very unusual Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
D G Orf, Victoria-Lauberhorn charged us all each evening, although we did complain loudly, and think we may have got it free in the end.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Hmm, I'm begining to see why people were not happy Confused
ski holidays
D G Orf, particularly as we were also buying wine. Perhaps I could have understood the charge if we weren't buying other drinks, but as we bought at least one bottle of wine with our meal, it was a bit stingy.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Yep seriously bugged me, first jug was with other drinks so I was mightily miffed when the bill came.
From that evening on we just had the water and then beers afterwards in our rooms.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy