Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Struggling with the lumpy stuff..

Poster: A snowHead
So today the on piste was more like chopped off-piste..there were lots of bumps of about 10-15cm high which were soft and fluffy. Whilst I was good at keeping my feet closer together and keepin the skis angle the same what I found difficult was keeping my weight forward - i.e. so that I could feel the front of my boot on my shins, and not the back of my boot on my calves. I found that as I hit bump after bump I kept getting thrown a little backwards and could feel the ski-tips lifting up a bit too much...a bit like the classic 4 year old kid, but they can get away with it....

thoughts / comments?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Retraction turns.

+ dryland practice

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bertie bassett, I'll give you the advice that several instructors have told me for the same problem: "stop doing it". You know what you are doing wrong, so just stop doing it!

Try skiing with "soft legs". Be a bit more flexed at ankles and knees better to absorb the terrain. I wouldn't try anything else, like pushing hands forward too much as that will upset your natural stance (which IIRC is pretty good to begin with).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, "retraction turns". Are they like "compression turns"? Absorb the bump?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
comprex, "retraction turns". Are they like "compression turns"? Absorb the bump?

Yes, called avalement turns in France.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
bertie bassett, I'll give you the advice that several instructors have told me for the same problem: "stop doing it". You know what you are doing wrong, so just stop doing it!

Try skiing with "soft legs". Be a bit more flexed at ankles and knees better to absorb the terrain. I wouldn't try anything else, like pushing hands forward too much as that will upset your natural stance (which IIRC is pretty good to begin with).

Cheers Rob - I did try that a little but I guess I stiffen up a little as I couldn't really see the bumps..I guess I need to practice some 'relax' exercises first, and getting used to softening some more.

Tis true that knowing what you are doing wrong is the 1st step to putting it right...still I've got some more time this season to fix it, and will try and get some newgen for a week or so in the next couple of weeks if they've got space...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I guess I need to practice some 'relax' exercises first

try a vin chaud. I think that having some heavier and stiffer skis has helped me to cope with that sort of thing, too, though I'm still struggling a bit, and certainly ending in the back seat too often. Comes of losing confidence part way through, I suspect.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett wrote:

Cheers Rob - I did try that a little but I guess I stiffen up a little as I couldn't really see the bumps..I guess I need to practice some 'relax' exercises first, and getting used to softening some more.

Think of it as carrying a tray of champagne glasses on your head. In order to keep that level, you simply cannot 'stand tall' on top of the bump.

Oh, and get your hands up and front. Higher than that.

^^ Edit for clarification: I know rob said not to; I believe he was commenting on your overall form. That's fine: this is in a different context, it is a one-time physical cue to remind the parts of your body below your hands to go soft. The body already -knows- how to carry trays and babies, see.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, a good exercise is to find a "nice" mogul field and traverse across the line of bumps rather than try to head down it.
As you traverse exaggerate the absorption as you run across the bump and push out on the back side. Do this slowly to start with, build speed as you get the rhythm and confidence. This will let you practice without all the speed build up and gives you a chance of correcting if you get thrown back.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As crazy as it sounds, skiing "baby bumps" with your eyes closed really does wonders for your skiing.

Our bodies are much better at this skiing stuff than we often give them credit for and if you take away the thinking (by closing the eyes) then your body just gets on with it.

Also bear in mind that skiing any type of bumps is about managing your fore-aft balance. It's very, very hard (much harder than I can do) to ski bumps with your shins always in contact with the tongue of the boot. Try to think of it as you constantly seeking to get forwards - rather than contantly being forwards.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alternatively, if they are soft mounds of cut-up snow rather than bumps per se you could get a stiff pair of skis, some bad-ass attitude and just blast through them as if they weren't there. It has a big grin-factor Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett, Really, it's just practice. I've found these things help in those conditions -
1 - longer, fatter skis
2 - weight forward
3 - equal weight on both feet
4 - pole plant to initiate your turn
5 - ski a bit slower
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, I particularly liked that when I first got the Volkls - since they weigh a ton they just splat through everything instead of bouncing off.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, do you really think the skis' weight has anything to do with it?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A single tip, IMV..

If you do nothing else in deep snow....bend the knee/ankle angle and drive it forward in a decent stance...that will bend the ski and make a turn.
It also adds stability to the body so no grabby snatches of the skis and tipping you over.

Link them and hey presto..!!!

For a power turn..you might concentrate on a hip drive...NOT rotation..to engage the turn earlier
snow report
JT wrote:

For a power turn..you might concentrate on a hip drive...NOT rotation..to engage the turn earlier

Excellent point.

Hip drives like this are one of the major rewards of doing core muscle work off-season- strength and control enough to drive the ski and to help bend the boot at the ankle so that stance remains out of the back seat.
snow report
JT, good advice from JT, and having just skied with you I think it would help a lot.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
JT, good advice from JT, and having just skied with you I think it would help a lot.

Cheers Rob &JT for those pointers...

Hmm got lured down Malgovert on Sunday - that definitely tested my bumps capabilities..
ski holidays
bertie bassett,

Malgovert..???

did that last week..or rather remember the name.... but so many names..???

Warren Smith has a video in which he refers to a figure of 8 motion when carving...that is where I nicked it from..altho' I had graviated towards it ages ago..and quite naturally, for some reason..Laughing Laughing

Anyway, we started doing it more this year in order to punch through heavier snow and I like the fact that it gets the edges to engage higher into the turn for free skiing in deep snow. Just another string to the bow...
For bumps... use a braquage (sic) sling into the bump and just twizzle....forget zippers on a bigger ski but then I ain't no bump fool..Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
bertie bassett, Have a lesson that looks at learning to ski moguls. This should get the legs moving more independantly of the body and sive you the basic tools for pointing straight down the hill and blasting through the lumpy stuff.

I did this last season and although blasting is milking it a bit, I found a massive difference in my speed and control. It also became huge fun and was a big help in poor light i.e. hitting lumps & bumps that you can't see
snow report
rob@rar, thanx for the comment re 'soft legs' earlier, last trip i was constantly told to soften my outside leg and when i asked how no one could tell me, so your explanation above gives me something to be thinking on, thanx!!!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy