Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Private lessons for differing ability skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Myself and my girlfriend are off skiing at the beginning of February. She would like to have some lessons as she has only skied for about two weeks, the last time about ten years ago. She's been boarding a couple of times more recently though. We've sort of discounted ski school as it's our holiday and we don't really want to spend half of it apart with her in lessons, and to be honest she'll be pretty good at skiing anyway as she is good at that sort of thing. I have 10 - 12 weeks skiing under my belt and haven't had a lesson in quite a while, so think that maybe I could benefit with a lesson or two as well, to put right what I'm doing wrong!

The question is, would two or three private lessons with skiers of differing abilities (her and me) work? My concerns are that we might want different things from the lessons. Mind you, as I say, I could almost certainly do with some instruction on the basics too, but I would also be interested in perfecting my carving technique and instruction into off-piste or powder skiing.

Maybe we have a joint lesson the second day (get ski legs back the first day) and later in the week both have an individual lesson?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Maybe we have a joint lesson the second day (get ski legs back the first day) and later in the week both have an individual lesson?

That sounds good. If you book three lesson sessions, then you could decide after the first whether to have the other two separately or together. If you want to do off-piste, and your GF doesn't (though she probably could, by the sound of it!) then separate lessons would seem essential. However, there's loads you could do together, on the same blue slope. For example working on balance (unless you've already cracked skiing all the way down the slope on one leg wink ). You might find that lots of detailed work on things like eliminating an A-frame and (if, like me, you first learnt a long time ago) using too much counter-rotation when you turn) would also be worthwhile. I've been finding both these last points (worked on with an instructor in Tignes a few months ago, in a mixed ability group) essential to try to improve my carving technique, let alone perfect it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Iiiiiim my humble opinion, the lessons will be exasperating for at least one of you, probably two of you, and maybe all three of you.

That's based on my experience of shared lessons with people even when we were pretty much at the same level. Inevitably one person will command the instructor's attention, and the other(s) will pootle around aimlessly or be overwhelmed by things that seem too difficult for them.

I would do this: separate morning lessons (just an hour and a half or something, not some gruelling boot camp), for the first maybe three or four days (reconvening to ski together for the rest of the day and have a nice lunch and that), and the other days just doing whatever you like (including going back for more lessons if you want!)

Lessons are super expensive (for all I know you're a millionaire and this doesn't matter, but I wince at the cost of the things) and the chances of them being unfulfilling with two people at such apparent different abilities is quite high, and it may not feel like worthwhile expenditure.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Providing the kinds of instruction you both want can be delivered on the same terrain then a decent instructor should be able to give you different tasks and feedback at the same time. But I don't think you should expect to be pushed in terms of steepness or speed, so carving and off-piste skiing will be difficult to deliver with a near-beginner in the group. If you do go for a shared lesson I'd say it was important to have an instructor with a very good command of English, either as a native language or one of the ski school's better English speakers. If the instructor is going to be restricted in the terrain he can use he might need to explain what he wants in more detailed language than "bend zee knees and follow me" kind of instructor can manage.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mfj197, where are you going?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
mfj197, where are you going?

Off to the Grand Massif again - my family has a chalet in Verchaix, just across the valley from Morillon. When I've taken trips there the people having lessons have normally had them from Morillon whilst I and others who weren't would head off wherever.

Just about to start a meeting at work - be back soon to reply to all the others who have kindly responded!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if you think the ski ability of both are different but you can ski on the same kind of slope.....the instructor can manage easily to give different exercise for different need....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to all who offered advice on the above. paulio, you raise exactly the fears I have - that joint lessons may not prove to be as useful, or as fulfilling, as individual ones. My better half likes lessons whereas I'm more likely to just head off and ski, but I do think that for me a private lesson tailored to the areas of my skiing that need most attention would be good. Lessons are indeed expensive and it was partly in the interests of not wantonly spending money that I have wondered about shared lessons. I think maybe individual lessons might be of more use, or if they exist, lessons for her with a small party of a similar ability. I can but ask at the ESF I suppose!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mfj197, I've not used ESF in Morillon, but after some less than good experiences with ESF in other resorts I would avoid them! There is a ski school called Zigzag - it's small with very good instructors, which I would highly recommend - it's more expensive but IMHO worth every cent of the extra cost.
I've just got back from a long weekend there and had lessons on 2 days with a friend, we are quite different levels and were initially going to split the 3 hours but we stayed together and both got exactly what we needed from the lessons.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimum, very useful info - thanks. Friends have used ESF in Morillon and have found it okay, but I do see quite a few of the long trains of youngsters headed by a red ESF instructor out on the slopes and we're not really looking for that sort of thing! I've looked at Zigzag's website ( http://www.zigzagski.com/index-english.php ) and it looks good, but yes, costly. Hmm - will have to have a think on this!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mfj197, yes I know price is an issue, especially with the weak pound but I've booked private lessons with Zigzag for 3 complete beginners as I know that the lessons will be excellent, and I don't want their first taste of skiing to put them off!! I'm sure there are good instructors in ESF but there are also a lot of 'old school' and I think it's very hit and miss. As you said you do see ESF lessons with as many as 20 in Shocked In fact my niece was lost during a group lesson once (her first experience of skiing) and her instructor hadn't even realised Mad
Hope whatever you do you have a great time, when are you going?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimum, Saturday! Flying out on the 31st, back on 11th Feb. I'm very fortunate in that our family has a wee chalet in Verchaix so have been there many a time, but not with my better half as she is a development of this last year. Smile Can't wait - work's been very hectic with a deadline of Friday and I'm also completing on a house move on the same day. I really need the break!

Whereabouts are Zigzag based? Can you walk in in Morillon?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depends a bit on the differing abilities and confidence etc.etc.

Had joint lessons with a friend & an older lady in our group. She had done several weeks' skiing but had no confidence. We were complete beginners. After 30 minutes on the first day we were waiting for her and we then decided to split the lessons 2 ways as they were giving none of us what we wanted.

Friend and I skiied very differently - I aimed for style over speed; he had no fear and no desire for style, but was desperate for speed! I definitely got on better without him after he had to go home part way through the week.

That said, I'm about to book myself in for ski school lessons next week. But that's partly because I'm going to be on holiday alone.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mfj197, should be great, as I said before the conditions are fab. We're also lucky enough to have a chalet in the area so are (very) frequent visitors Very Happy I think the Zigzag office is based in Samoens but you can arrange to meet wherever you're skiing, we met in Morillon. Good luck with work and the house, certainly sounds like a well timed getaway!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mfj197, It isn't a huge problem to teach different levels in the same private lesson - indeed I often find that both parties have the same faults!! Shocked There are some exercises that one wouldn't do with a novice, but it's always possible to give the people different exercises anyway. In all my years of ski teaching I've only ever found one person who learnt better on a black slope than a green - hence nearly all the lessons here happening on the Cretes which is fenced off and secure, but green. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy