Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flat Light

Poster: A snowHead
Whats the best remedy?

No matter what combination of goggles, glasses or the naked eye I use, I can't tell if i'm going uphill or downhill if the light is really flat.

I have good eyesight btw.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In really really flat light it is very easy to lose almost every reference. I have skied behind a guide when it was just like following an animated figure in a video game who was seen against a white screen - rather than being in real life. If you are following someone who really knows the terrain, it's your luck day - ski close. Otherwise, I try to pick out a reference like the edge of a tree line (but be wary where it's leading you). If you are on piste try to pick out the piste markers, of course. Keep well balanced and low, with legs relaxed. When you get down, stay in areas of better light - or head for the nearest coffee house or pub!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
up4it, Head for the trees Very Happy Or any wooded area it really does help. For instance in La Plagne head or Montalbert or Montchavin and the really nice pistes through the forests there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
up4it wrote:
Whats the best remedy?

No matter what combination of goggles, glasses or the naked eye I use, I can't tell if i'm going uphill or downhill if the light is really flat.

Go indoors. Being serious I suffer as badly as you and I suffer so much it just isn't worth it. Had a bad crash last year in flat light and tore all my neck muscles so now don't bother. Just curious, do you suffer sea sickness?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, I thought it was flat slopes not flat light wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
up4it, Feel through your boot is the best remedy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clive5, Not so easy when your head is also spinning........... Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, Hmmmmmm.... thefatcontroller and flat slopes..... not something I've experienced in the same space... Twisted Evil

I can however vouch for his problems with flat light.... thefatcontroller suffers much worse than me and I thought I was bad Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, I can't move in the normal way I've got ski boots on Confused
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you can't head for trees use The Force.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clive5, Genuinely as Schuss in Boots testifies there are not many that suffer worse than me. I am told it is quite funny for those watching (remember Schuss in Boots I know some really easy blacks Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad )
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, Try getting someone to ski behind you that you trust. Shut your eyes and get them to tell you when to turn left and right. you will suddenly find another sense if you can keep your eyes shut.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 22-01-09 19:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller wrote:
up4it wrote:
Whats the best remedy?

Go indoors. Being serious I suffer as badly as you and I suffer so much it just isn't worth it....

I agree, definitely stay indoors!! I feel skiing should be enjoyable, and not like a game of "blind man's buff" with the strong likelyhood of a crash as a prize.... Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clive5 wrote:
thefatcontroller, Try getting someone to ski behind you that you trust. Shut your eyes and get them to tell you when to turn left and right. you will suddenly find another sense if you can keep your eyes shut.

A not dissimilar exercise, although not quite as intimidating, is to ski with your boots completely undone (at a fairly steady pace). I think most people have balance and stance issues in flat light, so skiing with your eyes closed or your boots undone requires you to work much harder on a centtral stance if you are going to have any control over your skis. The better you are at keeping balanced in trying conditions the more easily you should be able to ski in flat light.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Julieanne, You never know until you try.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I now standing on a balance cushion on one legt whilst watching tv at night. Wobble about and look straight ahead. Got to be doing me some good on the old balance skills.
snow report
up4it, a head torch? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
clive5 wrote:

Tried a few things but best solution is feet up in a bar or apartment Laughing Been in a situation in flat light when I couldn't figure out what was uphill or downhill, very scary. Skullie Skullie
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
Wobble about and look straight ahead. Got to be doing me some good on the old balance skills.

Yup, sounds good to me.
snow conditions
Julieanne,
Quote:

I agree, definitely stay indoors!! I feel skiing should be enjoyable, and not like a game of "blind man's buff" with the strong likelyhood of a crash as a prize....

Exactly, I ski for pleasure, I dont ski in falling snow, I dont ski when its raining, I dont ski at the crack of dawn, etc etc Toofy Grin
........................Unless it's a cheeky weekend away and then you have to make the most of it Twisted Evil wink
snow report
clive5 wrote:

thefatcontroller, I will volunteer to do that for you dear..... and halfway down we can have a little discussion about those 'gentle blacks' OK? Toofy Grin

thefatcontroller wrote:
Been in a situation in flat light when I couldn't figure out what was uphill or downhill, very scary. Skullie Skullie

..... or left and right if I remember correctly. All joking aside (and it was very amusing to watch, I agree) I was really surprised just how affected he was. Once we got back down in the tree line, the confidence returned and the skiing returned to normal. The difference in the 'two skiers' was really quite amazing. It was quite an eye-opener and I now have a new understanding for people who suffer badly from this. Sad
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, If that's the case do you buy a lift pass daily?
ski holidays
clive5 wrote:
Julieanne, You never know until you try.

Yes dear, true. Indeed, I have tried a few times (been caught in snowstorms or flat light --when on the mountain already- and I didn't much enjoy it ...
Therefore, in horrible weather, I don't go up the mountain. (I have a cosy lie-in and then wander round the village! Very Happy )
ski holidays
Julieanne, Yes you have done all of that. But have you tried what I suggested? Until you have tried?
snow report
clive5, Oh, I see what you mean--(just scrolled back to read your suggestions !)...and no-- I haven't tried all that...! Shocked
Not sure that I really want to...... Confused
ski holidays
Julieanne, I will tell you when to vote left then right. Sorry ski left then right
snow conditions
Or try the old technique reccommended to me... tie 3 ski poles together... throw down slope... ski to end... repeat Laughing
ski holidays
Scarpa, Run that past me one more time?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If you are on piste try to pick out the piste markers, of course. Keep well balanced and low, with legs relaxed. When you get down, stay in areas of better light - or head for the nearest coffee house or pub!

Sounds like good advice to me. Especially the last bit.
ski holidays
clive5, Someone on this forum was skiing in a whiteout. The only way to ensure that they were sking down a possible angle and not off a drop was to utilise the aforementioned technique. The linked ski poles gave a direction and target to focus on. Proper whiteouts (not just poor vis) are very disabling.
latest report
though I think there's a bit of confusion here between "flat light" and "nil visibility". Sometimes when the light is flat you can see the surroundings - mountains, restaurants, piste markers, other skiers etc. But no detail at all on the surface of the snow. It's disconcerting, but nothing like as bad as a "white out" when you can't see anything. In poor visibility it is, indeed, very helpful to ski in the trees. But in a genuine white out (not just a foggy day) you wouldn't see a tree until you were about to hit it. A true white out is uncommon, thankfully, and extemely difficult. The nearest I ever got to one (in a familiar area) I was completely lost. fortunately an ESF instructor with three lads in tow skied right past me and I tagged on the end of their group, hoping they wouldn't notice (and that they weren't about to launch themselves down some couloir). He led us all safely down the mountain but I had to stay extremely close not to lose them.
snow conditions
pam w, just beat me to the punch - I was going to make the same distinction.
ski holidays
pam w, fair point. I must admit that, from the detail, I took the OP to mean a white-out - and my response was on that assumption.
snow report
ScarpaI have never heard of the three ski pole technique sounds like a good idea in extreme conditionns
ski holidays
clive5, I'd never heard of it either. I've been in few whiteouts whilst climbing... it's horrible. I remember a US Army drill in the arctic... they threw a few beer cans a few feet in front of the troops and asked them to estimate the distance to the "oil drums". The answers were usually in hundreds of yards.
snow conditions
One thing I have learnt in France(?) is that the piste markers on your right are not a single colour (normally have an orange middle) and the ones on your left are plain black. Handy to know in a whiteout.
snow report
thefatcontroller, Nope, thats just in Les Arcs 2000 Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing, You sure..............
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
One thing I have learnt in France(?) is that the piste markers on your right are not a single colour (normally have an orange middle) and the ones on your left are plain black. Handy to know in a whiteout.

Yep, very useful Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have to admit I didn't know that before you told me
snow conditions
Schuss in Boots, Trust me I found as mrsfatcontroller was taking me back along from Transarc to Peisey in Les Arcs in flat light/whiteout/godknowswhat as she point out politely that as the pole with the marker was on my left I was skiing to my death (at the time I think that was my plan Skullie )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy