Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late Season Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Having returned from Val Thorens after a good weeks skiing, i am planning to get another week away later in the season. Due to my other halfs schedule we can't get away until the 11th of April.

I'm basically wondering where do people suggest would be a good place to go at this stage in the season? I know everything is weather dependent but presuming that this spring is like the previous few, what from your own experience would be my best bet? I am thinknig Val thorens again or maybe Tignes. Has anyone skiied this late in season and generally how have they found it? Is it perhaps too late in season and should i just wait until next year, something i really don't want to do.

In advacne, thanks for all advice and help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bodhi, welcome to snowHeads. A large number of us have skied in Val Thorens in the last week of April at the End of Season Bash. Although temperatures have mostly been very mild we have been blessed with fresh snow on a few occasions, and piste conditions have mostly been very good. If you are going away mid-April the conventional advice is to aim high, so you you have a reasonably wide choice of resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bodhi, welcome to snowHeads! Are you perchance a fan of 'Point Break'?

Late in the season, your thinking is spot on - you do want to be high, just in case. The Snowheads End of Season Bash is late April, a week after the date you're looking at. I love late season skiing - even if there isn't much in the way of fresh snow, it's lovely being out on clear, sunny, WARM days! It's often a bit icy in the mornings - great, don't need to get up too early - so ski from say 9.30 - 2pm with a drink stop, break for longish lunch on a sunny terrace, pootle home about 3.30pm. Sorted. I've been to PdS (not exactly high, I know), VT, Verbier for late season, and had a great time in all of them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bodhi, Welcome to snowHead

There is a thread on easter skiing from few days ago , I'm just not getting the link(not very good with computers) Maybe someone can point you to it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bodhi, welcome to snowHead

It looks like you are thinking of France, but in case you're interested, we have been to both Obergurgl and Ischgl in Austria that late in the season and both trips were excellent. Snow is softer in the afternoon when it has been sunny, so we tended to have an early start and then ski until about 2.30ish and then have lunch and not do much after that. Still about the same amount of skiing in the day though, just trying to make the most of the better snow in the morning.

It's nice skiing in the Spring, and the evenings are lighter so you get a longer day in general. We also had fresh snow on both trips. There's really plenty to go at during April, there is no reason to put it off until next year!

As per rob@rar, there is a snowHead bash to VT every year for the last week in April. They keep going back so it must be alright!

D
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
it certainly isn't too late - i have a trip planned a month later than that!

somewhere high and (preferably) with a reasonable amount of north-facing skiing would be your best bet. i had trips to Verbier and Andermatt in mid-late april last year. you could ski to the village (about 1400-1500m) at both
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to snowHeads bodhi.

I don't think that 11 April is that late in the season - I've skied in Avoriaz the last weekend in April every year for the last 5 years and there's always been good snow down to 1600m. The season there closes at the end of April.

So, anywhere above 1800m should be fine.

Although, saying that, Tignes has to be a good bet this year because of the huge amount of early season snow they've had.

The thing to bear in mind in April is less the amount of snow, rather than what it's like to ski - typically very icy early on; 1-2 hours of nice grippy surface; then slush and finally slushy bumps.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well thanks for all the prompt replies guys. You've definately put my mind at ease and confirmed for me that ill be skiing again this season which i'm delighted about.

I tend to mainly ski france but am open to the places mentioned in switzerland and austria, i had heard they are great resorts.

Having never skiied so late in season i've never experienced spring snow. When it gets slushy as the days go on would you generally call it a day or is it still worth staying out.

To Vetski, as a surfer i am most definately a fan of point break, reagrdless of how unrealistic it is. I tried to get johnny utah as my username but it says its already taken.

Thanks again
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bodhi wrote:
Having never skiied so late in season i've never experienced spring snow. When it gets slushy as the days go on would you generally call it a day or is it still worth staying out.

Stick it out. There are hilarious moments like having to maintain enough momentum to aquaplane over enormous puddles at the end of runs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bodhi wrote:
When it gets slushy as the days go on would you generally call it a day or is it still worth staying out.

Well, it might not get slushy every day, it might just be on sunny days, depdending on the air temps. When it does get slushy, we tend to either call it a day (on the lower runs at least), or if we're feeling really up for more skiing, we head to the top lift of wherever we are to get the last couple of hours out of the day.

On a couple of the really warm days in Obergurgl, we jacked it in went for early evening walks as well, as it was just so beautiful at that time of year.

D
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've seen aquaplaning on youtube before and have always wanted to try it so nows my chance.

Thanks for all the advice, its exactly what i wantedt to hear but invaluable at the same time as its from experience so cheers for all that, greatly appreciated

Happy skiing everyone
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I absolutely love skiing in Spring. I've been tricked, for various reasons, into my entire budget of 3 trips all being in the dead of winter this year.

But irrespective of the freeze-thaw problems (skiing on a solid brass-hard floor in the morning, swimming through puddles in the afternoon) with skiing in Spring, there is nothing quite like merrrily scooting about in lightweight clothes and still feeling a bit warm, and going home and sitting on a balcony with a beer wearing shorts and a T-shirt, while the sun takes its time going to bed (rather than sodding off behind a hill at 4:30 and pitch darkness by 6).

c.f. sitting on chairlifts freezing to death in Arctic temperatures and having to wrap yourself in a duvet to even dare stepping foot through the patio doors.

If I could swap one of my hols for its equivalent, but in late April instead, I would.

Winter is rubbish really, isn't it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slush is great fun until it gets boot deep

it's poor man's powder!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm glad somebody brought this up, I'm hitting Austria in February but my gf has no holidays until (you guessed it) April. So I was wondering where would be good to grab early April? Altitude is obviously the defining factor here for the logeivity of the snow. I'm not too up on my resorts though so if anybody can recommend a few to look out for I'd be most grateful.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NateDoggUK, do you mean Austria again or somewhere else??

If Austria, then Ischgl or Obergurgl as I mentioned above would fit the bill, as would Obertauern and probably Lech/Zurs and St Anton.

If you mean somewhere in not-Austria, then someone else will no doubt be along to advise soon!

D
snow report
When I did my proper Spring ski trip (I'm going to say that April in Nevis doesn't count Smile) it was Mayrhofen (not exactly the world's highest or most snowsure place I don't think), and we turned up half way through Snowbombing unaware that this would mean the resort closing completely half way through our Wednesday to Wednesday holiday. Oops. Snow was pretty much fine though, aforementioned puddles notwithstanding.

I'v skied on worse in January anyway.

So we went down the road to Hintertux for the second half of the week and it was AWESOME.
snow conditions
bodhi wrote:
I know everything is weather dependent but presuming that this spring is like the previous few, what from your own experience would be my best bet?

If this season is like last season then Pra sur Lys, La Clusaz, Grand Bornand all had better snow than Val Thorens during the first weekend of the EoSB and all had a big advantage over Val Tho... no lift queues.
snow report
Meribel was excellent last year during the Altitude Festival, mid/late April and some of the best skiing of the year according to the locals.
ski holidays
bodhi, by the way...skiing slush is hard work, but much easier on fatter skis. Not necessarily massive - but with more of a waist than carvers, maybe 75-80cm. Just FYI, if you're hiring.
ski holidays
vetski wrote:
bodhi, by the way...skiing slush is hard work, but much easier on fatter skis. Not necessarily massive - but with more of a waist than carvers, maybe 75-80cm. Just FYI, if you're hiring.

I'd go a bit narrower than that. In fact, quite a lot narrower.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
vetski wrote:

I'd go a bit narrower than that. In fact, quite a lot narrower.

BASI have well & truly got their hooks into you my boy wink
latest report
rob@rar, yeah yeah. If I too was a ski god...as it is, the fatter skis do the work I can't! I was seriously knackered and my feet were killing me after a very slushy pm in Meribel Mottaret on Volkl S5s. Slush on Zag Lady Golds, by comparison, was as smooth as sliding over an oiled torso. Blush
snow conditions
fatbob, vetski, you both ski on 80cm waists?

Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, point taken! Embarassed

bodhi, that should have been 75-80mm...
snow conditions
hi, was in Solden last year at the beginning of April- fantastic skiing, only slushy on the lower home runs, conditions on the glacier were perfect! Smile
snow report
rob@rar, fair cop - ooh the heffalump traps out there!
ski holidays
Hi all!
I was also thinking of sqeezing in a second ski trip this season, perhaps late april, even early may. Was just wondering has anyone done a package deal this late? Or do most of you organise your trips independently?
Cheers
snow report
vetski, & fatbob Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I'm now happy on 98's for everything... 19 radius. Luv em. I spit on your narrow skis Razz
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
I spit on your narrow skis Razz

You'll have to catch me first Wink
ski holidays
skisoph86, welcome to snowHeads. Bit difficult to get packages very late e.g. May, although possible in North America IIRC. The EoSB in late April is a kind of pseudo package in that you organise your own flights and admin does the rest and you just chuck some money his way when he asks for it.

just had a little google - Inghams sell Canada up to 11th April departure. The closing dates of the resorts will vary as well and , for example, Engleberg closes in 25th May, but Igluski stops selling it in April.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, Engleberg closes 25th MAY? Fancy a very very late season trip, then?
ski holidays
Val d'Isere/Tignes. I have been as late as 21st - 28th April and enjoyed wonderful skiing.
snow conditions
thanks for the info holidaylover, 1 trip per season just isnt enough! Happy
latest report
Thanks for the info on what skis are best for slushy conditions. Will be renting my own so will know what im looking for.
latest report
vetski wrote:
holidayloverxx, Engleberg closes 25th MAY? Fancy a very very late season trip, then?

i would check that carefully

e'burg opens for skiing on the glacier very late during weekends (into June sometimes) but not so sure about weekday opening. also, you may find yourself restricted to the glacier pistes (which are pretty limited) unless there is good snow on the Steinberg in which case you need to be comfortable skiing off-piste on crevassed glaciers
snow report
Welcome, what is yoyr past experience with mid-April skiing in Bernese Oberland (Sui)? I know that last year easter thread treats this issue a bit but...
Thnks
chris, poland
ski holidays
vetski wrote:

OOh - I'm on the verge of signing up for Prague with (another) friend.... don't know what to do......
ski holidays
Arno, yes, agreed re Engleberg glacier - good point
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy