Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl/Hochgurgl good restaurants and food...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from Cervinia - it was sunny the day we came and the day we left, heavy snow and windy the days we were there... grrrrr....

Anyway, we discovered this fantastic restaurant, chalet etoile on the slopes, good food and grappa Smile Almost made me forget I was wearing my ski boots!

Next trip, obergurgl/hochgurgl - does anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants and good food there? I never knew this was such an important criteria while skiing

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess as you are talking about ski boots on, you mean mountain restaurants and apres venues rather than evening meals?

We liked both David's Huette and the Nederhuette for lunches and particularly the Nederhuette in the afternoon after skiing. The party there kicks off around 3ish and goes on until after dark. They do special apres-ski evenings on certain nights of the week where they pick you up in the snowcat and have a meal and a bit of a boogie (Austrian style of course) and then back by snowcat later on.

The hotel that has a terrace at the bottom of the slopes in Obergurgl (not the Deutschmann end, the other end), does very civilised cakes and hot drinks etc. at teatime if you want a slightly less frenetic apres experience.

We didn't eat anywhere else on the slopes so that's about the limit of my advice I'm afraid.

Happy sliding snowHead

D
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, at Obergurgl both David's Hut and the Jenewein are good for lunch but can get rather busy at times. The new restaurant at Hohe Mut looks very nice but haven't tried the food yet. Over at Hochgurgl I like the Ideal Hotel, which is usually amazingly quiet and has a nice terrace that gets the sun. There's also the Top Hotel which is a bit more expensive but nice. I don't bother eating higher up the mountain at Hochgurgl as the self service place gets very busy, always find the Hochgurgl hotels a better option.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A second vote for David's Hut and the Nederhutte on the Obergurgl side.

There didn't seem as much choice when it came to mountain restaurants in Horchgurgl - which was a shame because I preferred the skiing in this area. But as Kelskii says, you can head to the little cluster of Hotels for lunch instead.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies, I'd look out for David's Hut and Nederhute. Any food specialty to recommend?

BTW, if anyone is going to Cervinia, you must try the pasta fresca or fish soup at Chalet E, we are still raving about how good they are... its worth a trip back to Cervinia just to go eat there between skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Both places recommended have pretty extensive menus. One of my favourites is Tirolergroestl, although it definitely falls into the 'hearty' rather than fine dining category, as does much of Austrian food. Don't me wrong though, we've always had delicious food in Austria, and there's always plenty of it!

D
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We ate in the Josl, a lot of the insructors eat there too which is always a good sign. The Nederhutte and David's hut were our favourites too and the Edelweiss and Gurgl at the base is good .Enjoy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think you can't beat eating at the Nederhuette, but if you can, avoid ski school lunch break time and eat late. David's Hut is also good, they both serve to table so you don't have to balance your tray. If you return to the village it does get busy everywhere during ski school lunch break, however when eating at the Edelweiss the 'cafe' area was full but they let us sit further into the stube for lunch when we asked.
Hochgurgl, another vote for eating at the hotels, the Riml, just across the road from the lift in the village, is always good and the Ideal.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can recommend the Hohe Mut Alm, we did only eat goulash soup there but it was very nice, as was the ambience. Prices seem very uniform on the mountain...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
been to obergurgl four times Hohe mut alm is the newest and very nice too
may i suggest pizzeria romantica in the hotel madelein the pizza is the best
i have tasted and our daughter insist that we stay at this hotel so that she can
have her pizza every night its that good
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David's Huette is where we went almost every lunch (on our third trip there), then Top Mountain star for a drink just as they're closingthe lifts, to cruise down the hill with the sun setting over the mountains......

I love Obergurgl.......
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Hohe Mut Alm is very stylish, check out the private dining room with sheepskin chairs. Over at Hochgurgle search out the Kirchencar Hutte, it is at the top of the far Tbar run near the Italian Boarder post, It is very small and rustic.

If you want to splash out then the TOP hotel in Hochgurgl is the place to go for a 10 quid bowl of soup brought to you in style.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all - I'm sure that my friends and I will have a swell time sampling all the recommendations.

We're staying at the sporthotel olymp at hochgurgl - anyone stayed there before? Is it any good? I think there's a Toni's hut nearby (from their website)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy