Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skins

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
*Touring novice alert*

So I have some new skis on their way to me so my quiver is looking like it will support a specific touring pair. I have a trip booked with a friend who has booked us a local teacher and guide and I guess I could rent but with the ski options I now have I'm thinking I may as well bite the bullet and get kitted up.

Anyhooo - ski dimensions are, um, somewhat large and I can't find any skins on line which will fit. I figure you must be able to get them custom cut, as it were, but where?

FYI, dims of skis are 155/112/133 in a 169 length ..... no prizes for guessing what they are!

Cheers in advance for your help - I'm off to read some Marker Baron vs Duke vs Dynafit and Touring vs Downhill boot threads!

Zammo
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
so long as they are wide enough to cover almost the whole ski under your foot they will be fine. You should not cover the edge plus a little bit. so... 110mm wide skins will be fine. you can certainly get up to 130mm which you then cut yourself (pretty easy - there is a "how to" on facewest or telemark pyrenees (or maybe both)) but no real need IMO

fyi - i have never used tail clips and many people do not, so don't feel you have to get them yourself
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hahaha big skis Smile Black Diamond skins perhaps... I have these and If I remember correctly they were around 120mm wide before I trimmed them.

regarding bindings..

Baron, and duke are probably better for lift served short hikes offpiste.
Dynafit is probaly the lightest set up going and great for ski tours but wont give the level off on piste and downhill performance of alpine bindings.

You didnt mention Fritshi Bindings and these are well worth considering as the latest model Fritshi are a very solid binding giving the capability to use and alpine boot or a ski touring/freeride boot.

I have been using the Fritshi freeride plus and I like them a lot as a good compromise between an alpine binding and a ski tour binding that is more than capable of multi day ski tours.

Boots wise there are plenty of ski tour/freeride options from the classic Scarpa Denali through to some of their lighter models.
I have Garmont megarides, one of the lightest 4 buckle boots going, it has been a pleasure to ski in them both on,off and ski touring.

In the end you have to be honest in what your final objective is and that will help you decide on the binding and boot.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys - sounds like it's pretty achievable re: skins. I was just a bit worried about attaching them over such a wide ski tip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always found Kingsize Rizlas did the trick!! wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
zammo wrote:
Thanks guys - sounds like it's pretty achievable re: skins. I was just a bit worried about attaching them over such a wide ski tip.

the loop which goes over the tip can be an issue. some companies (I think BD and G3) make supa-sized loops for this very purpose. i'd see how you get on with whatever comes with the skins you buy and if that doesn't work start looking around for something better or try your own modifications
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy