Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Punisher / Mission compared to the Volkl Mantra

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. Does anyone know how the Mantra compares to the Punisher or Mission? I skied the Punisher and really liked it a lot but I am wondering how the Mantra compares on-piste with regards to short / long turns and edge grip? Is it stiffer than the Punisher? I am pretty sure off piste the Mantra will be better because of the greater width. I skied the Punisher in a 172 and found it really manoeuvrable considering it is quite a wide ski but was looking at the 177 Mantra, just wondering if the Mantra will seem like an oil tanker in comparison or whether there won't be much difference? This will be a 60% on / 40% off piste ski. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mantra: Stiffer, Stronger, Wider, bigger turn radius. Rails on piste like all volkl skis.

The Scotts all ski very short.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
178cm Scott Missions are great on and off-piste. Not tried the 177cm Mantra's but my understanding is that they offer a better ride if you're heavier and/or more aggressive.

The Mantra's and Punishers are both twin tips so will ski slightly shorter than the Missions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the Punisher and I think it is a ski that needs to be skied aggressively too, it doesn't like cruising about really. The Mantra is definitely stiffer and probably doesn't like short radius turns as much (?). Not sure about how they compare grip wise on the hard stuff, the Punisher I find very good except on ice where it is pretty bad not surprisingly.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I skiied both the punnisher and mantra at the sigb test in saalbachlast season, the reviews are here...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37631&highlight=

actually, think I didnt review the Mantras! I skiied the 184 and from what I remember they were pretty awesome on the piste but I felt they comromised in the soft snow due to their stiffness, pretty nimble and sweet graphics. I felt they would make a nice all-mountain ski if your not quite sure what the conditions are like. Might be worth checking out my review to give you a few more ideas (ie Icelantic!!) of skis to agonise about (have the same problem myself!)!! Personally I wouldnt touch the Punisher with a 10 foot bargepole, felt it was waaay to soft and flappy in anything apart from perfect snow, but of course bare in mind that the feel of a ski really can come down to weight and experience.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy