Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler advice please

Poster: A snowHead
have just booked 11 days in a chalet in White gold in Whistler early Feb
anyone have any advice/ info about this area? Very Happy
Would it be better to book lift passes through Crystal or on the net or in resort? rolling eyes Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check the exchange rates and then decide if buying through Crystal is the cheaper option. If not, then you can pick up passes in the resort or cheaper at the 24x7 supermarket shops in Vancouver.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boo22, you not meant to ask for info/advice before you book? Laughing

Nothing to add just have a great time snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv,

Laughing Laughing Laughing yes, i know i know Embarassed

more than a bit impulsive I admit! Hadn't been looking for long (not specifically for US/Canada, just bargains in general!! Lol) but it seemed too good a bargain to pass up!!
must admit, though i dont post very often, I do read a lot on here and did do a lot of searches for both countries last year before we went to Vail, and there are lots of recommendations for Whistler.
I cant seem to find much info on White gold which is where the chalet is in whistler apparently?

a 10 day lift pass with Crystal is 378 i think!!!
spoo Going green
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold is a residential subdivision along Fitzsimmons Creek from the Village/Blackcomb Base - walkable especially if you rent a locker/ski check at the base or are a boarder. Look for Lost Lake X country trails on the valley map and you are kind of infront of the access loop.

Edit :look how nice I am to you

http://www.crosscountryconnection.ca/graphics/map_winter_1200.gif
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob,

thanx v much Very Happy

another question- is it possible to hire a car in Whistler itself (rather than airport collection) and is it worth considering????
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes you can hire a car in Whistler - Budget,Avis and 1 other (cant think of name - all have offices here)

a 10 day pass for $378??? you must mean pounds....

Whitegold is easily walkable to the base of Blackcomb, but I wouldn't want to do it ski boots every day.... and to get into village itself you need to walk around the creek - once again very doable in walking shoes, but not so much in ski gear.

there is a bus that goes through Whitegold, cost $2 each way per adult $1.50 for kids - but since it is so close, it seems kinda expensive.... (and depending on where you actually are, it might be the same distance to bus stop as base of blackcomb anyway - or close to..)

Once at Blackcomb, there is a free bus into the village.

Whitegold is one of those places where you feel you should walk everywhere, but it is just a little too far to always walk.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boo22, are you in Chalet Alice? If so, I think this chalet is also known as Chalet Luise. The address is 7461 Ambassador Crescent, Whistler. If you plug that address into Google maps then you'll get a very good idea of where it is. Hope this is of some help.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
how much spending money will you need to take in GBP to be able to enjoy eating out once a day and drinking per week roughly?

Just trying to price up some locations.. still stuck between Canada or Europe!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Average price of a beer is about $5 - $6. Meals vary a lot (even within the same restaurant). Burgers seem to generally come in at just under $15 and you're looking at about $17-20 for pasta and $28-40 for steak. Don't forget that any price you see won't be what you pay. They started paying GST about eighteen years ago and still haven't got the hang of just including it in the price, still in transition pricing mode (you're paying it anyway, whether it's advertised or not).

Unfortunately, they way Fortress are bleeding the place dry at the moment, prices in resort owned bars/restaurants (almost anything on or at the bottom of the slopes) are rising weekly, let alone season-by-season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last year I found whistler VERY EXPENSIVE and WET it often rained in the village while snowing higher up. I hear they have also had a problem with one of the gondalas this year.
Unless you are very rich and want some ecellent excellent back country skiing I think there are lots of better Canadian resorts for British skiers but with the crappy exchange rates the Pound gets at the moment Canada does offer some of the best value skiing available:shock: .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geetee,
yes we are Very Happy thanks, that helps Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Went to Whistler a few years ago in February. Best resort I have ever been to. It can rain in the village, but you'll normally be way up the mountain where it is sure to be snowing...

I'm sure you will have a great time
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skisimon, I would like to know why you have made so many posts lately about 'Fortress bleeding Whistler' - prices are the same (for food/rentals/activities/ even lift passes) as they have been for years. staff numbers are marginally down, but that is more due to less skiers - (ie less instructors needed) departments like patrol / snow making are spending the same if not more than normal. In fact, due to the drop in demand, Intrawest (ie Fortress) are actually almost giving you lift tickets if you book a whole package through them. a friend of mine just booked a weeks holiday for his family during Presidents week (ie US public holiday weekend) through WB for a package where the hotel accommodation alone costs 3050 including taxes (if booked separately through any website), he is paying $3500 for hotel and 6 day lift tickets for 2 adults and 2 children - so effectively $450 for 4 people 6 day lift passes.

Anyway, this year Whistler is having a poor season, because of mother nature and the 'credit crunch' didn't help.

Whistler is not as expensive as people try to make it out to be.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wbsr, Whistler is significantly more expensive than most other resorts in North America due to the shortage of relatively low cost accomodation options. To say the lift tickets are cheap in a package is kind of missing the point IMO as the cheap lift tickets are the loss leader to sell the costly accomodation.

Intrawest may be pulling the stops out this season but I'd bet without an economic downturn they'd have been jacking prices to milk the cash cow till its udders are tender.

Having said that WB is fantastic value when mother nature cooperates wink and you steer clear of the tourist trap parts of the mountain.
snow report
so lift passes for 11 days through Crystal are £402!!! Shocked
is there anywhere online or in resort where they will be cheaper????
snow report
So you think CAD$435 / US$350 per night is expensive for a ski resort, for a family of 4 during a US long weekend holiday week ?? (forgetting about the CAD$450 for 2 adults 2 children 6 days lift tickets)

Those prices include all taxes and fees

similar hotels in these resorts for same week (plus taxes and fees if applicable)

Vail - US$400
Aspen - US$450
Squaw - US$500
Banff can be cheaper, but you have to drive 30 mins each way to get to resort
Fernie is cheaper but once again a drive to the resort, and hardly a nice town to visit (and more expensive if you choose to stay at one of the few on-hill lodges)

Some of the other smaller resorts like Big White, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke are all slightly cheaper (without considering extra costs in transportation) for resorts with a lot less terrain. Big White is only one that is ski in ski out, the rest (and I have researched a lot of BC ski resorts) require travel time from lodging to runs.

Tell me what ski resort is not 'overpriced' when the snow conditions are bad?
and when Whistler is good (most years) name another resort that competes with it in terms of terrain quality AND quantity?

Name me another NA resort where once you get there, you just park you car and forget about it (for 90% of tourists) and thats if you even needed to hire a car in the first place??

Its kinda like booking a beach holiday, and booking either a beach front hotel or one which is a drive from the ocean? which one costs more, and is it worth the convience ??
While a lot of Whistler accomm is not true 'ski in ski out' - how many people have to cross a road to get to the lifts and how many walk for longer than 10 mins (if they walk to lifts and don't take advantage of the free buses) most people can walk to lifts within 5 mins by taking the village stroll.

So why don't you add up all the dollars and cents involved with a ski holiday and then compare to Whistler (and then consider what you REALLY get for your money)
ski holidays
also compare the quantity of terrain Whistler offers compared to other NA resorts here

http://media.intrawest.com/whistler/flash/trailmap/compare.html
ski holidays
wbsr wrote:
prices are the same (for food/rentals/activities/ even lift passes) as they have been for years
Rubbish - and I've been going on about it so much recently because I spent most of January there, paying a hell of a lot more for most things on the mountain than I did last season.

Fair enough though, through the resort owned WB website I got a good deal on my accommodation (though nothing on lift pass, beside pre-booking discount, because I was on my own).

As with the last couple of seasons, I have spent time with a number of people who work in the resort - some for Intrawest, others not. It is highly noticable the difference in mood of those that work for Intrawest this season to last (with two of them having just handed in their notice due to their dissatisfaction about how the resort was being run). With the non-resort employed guys, the main downer seemed to be the lack of snow - but the last couple of seasons more than make up for that - but there was also murmurings about the resort as a whole too.

Anyway, I don't want anyone to think that I don't like Whistler - I still love it! But I'm stating that I don't think it is as good as it was (not just the weather), and stating why I have come to that conclusion.

And as to why I'm posting a lot about it - two threads started asking questions about the resort, and having spent a good couple of months there over the last couple of years, I felt I could comment. Now, I've not spent as much time there as I would have liked, nor have I, yet, moved there, but I'm in a very strong position to comment on the resort from a "punter's" perspective.

I love Whistler, but have always been able to acknowledge its minor flaws, there seem to be some who don't think it actually has any...

PS. Lift passes are highly priced compared to Europe, however, Whistler's isn't too bad. Grouse Mtn is $50 for a day ticket and barely offers the terrain available off the Wizard Express in Whistler.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 4-02-09 23:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
$350 a night for a hotel room is not particularly cheap & comparing it to Vail/Aspen & Squaw on a holiday weekend is sort of emphasising the point. I'd agree that Whistler is probably unique in North America as somewhere with a sizable pedestrian town (albeit ersatz as no one actually "lives" there). I'd budget 1.5 times per day for Whistler what I'd budget elsewhere because I don't mind driving a bit. Horses for courses though -plenty of people on here will say ski in/out & plenty of bars (even if you have to line up to get in them at times) is an absolute must for a ski holiday.

I agree overall though your mate got a good deal - sign of the times?

PS You book beach holidays? - are you even a skier wink
latest report
wbsr wrote:
also compare the quantity of terrain Whistler offers compared to other NA resorts here

http://media.intrawest.com/whistler/flash/trailmap/compare.html

Quantity is not Quality.

And even absolute quantity it misleading: if there are 10x the number of skiers in 5x the terrain, then it's twice as busy.

We go to BC every year, and have done for about the past 10 years - off again on Friday - but have only been to Whistler once. The main reason? Too busy. We much prefer resorts where the lift lines are (almost) non-existant, and you have much more space on (and off) the pistes. Okay, it requires a little more effort to get there, but even this year when we're there over President's weekend, I doubt we'll be waiting more that 5 minutes in a queue.

What queue length do the various stages of traffic lights in Whistler indicate???
latest report
fatbob wrote:
$350 a night for a hotel room is not particularly cheap

We are paying CA$119 per night elsewhere in BC - for the room (sleeps 4) + breakfast. And the resort has all the skiing we can cope with. For $350 per night, I'd expect full-board and gold-plated ski servicing.
snow conditions
skisimon, I have lived in Whistler for 6 years now. I don't think prices are any more this year than last, with slight increases overall since my first day (take inflation into it and prices would be similar). Are you talking in CAD or pounds, since your pound is a lot weaker this year than last.
I realize I don't do any of the 'touristy' things, but manage to live here year round on less than $20k a year. Real expensive place to live !
I also happen to know Intrawest employees who are very happy with the current work conditions, I guess you can't please everyone, especially since so many other resorts continually try to 'poach' WB staff to their resort. Might not be the case with the people you know, but I have known quite a few be drawn to other resorts for a higher salary, since those resorts don't have the time/knowledge/ability to train staff to the level as WB.

Most people living and working here accept a lower wage in order to enjoy a good overall lifestyle. Some eventually become families and realize they while they were happy skimping on items for themselves, they can't do that and raise children / pay off mortgages...

1.Whistler has plenty of flaws - mainly too busy (although see point lower in response to RobW) in the peak season (and why is it busy? anything to do with offering a great product?)
2.Whistler is too catering to the tourist type skier, and not enough to the real skier (55 million for a Peak to Peak lift that access no new terrain) or 4 new high speed quads somewhere to give us more terrain?
3.Whistler often has 'wet' or heavy snow and not dry powder - although even that has its advantages - such as forms a better base and is more avalanche stable (compare to this year where we got all that cold dry snow at beginning of season which has formed an unstable layer)
4.Actually not that many faults

I like having great grooming, ski patrol who actually do Avalanche Control for all terrain within a ski area boundary (and beyond), ski patrol who will actually help injured people outside the ski area boundary without trying to re-possess their house, friendly and knowledgeable staff who in general don't mind being asked advice, lifties that actually do work and help people load and unload lifts, shops and pubs that charge the same price to 'locals' as they do too punters (unlike other places where you really feel like they are taking the wee wee out of you to subsidize their mate drinking at the next table), a village life so that there is more to do than just ski

Now that the euro and pound are weaker we don't have so many euro tourists pushing through lift lines and smoking where ever they feel like it (grant you the Brits are no where near as bad as the Europeans, but still worse than Canadians and the US) .
Go ahead and flame me on that......

fatbob, the reason I compared to Vail/Aspen/Squaw is because they are the US resorts that offer the same level of 'service' you get for the higher priced hotels in the resort. Places like Jackson Hole and Mammoth were only just cheaper for better skiing but nothing village/service wise. I used that week because that was my original statement - You can get a deal in Whistler this season - even during a long weekend holiday.
and just like beaches, its all about location, with Whistler it is hard to find a hotel that is in a 'bad' location
you may like driving to the ski hill, but I don't. I prefer to walk and leave the car in the garage. When I go on road trips, that is the worst part of the trip.

RobW - true Whistler can be busy during weekends / holiday periods, but take today and yesterday - Feb 3 and 4 - middle of winter - awesome snow (a little low snow base but great quality), and not a single person to be seen - I skied straight onto EVERY single chair for the last two days straight. It is often quiet in the non-holiday periods and because we are so big (quantity) there is never anyone at the lift at the same time you are....
I actually love how everyone gets their holidays at the same time - that way I get to ski 120 days a season with the mountains almost to myself. I don't ski Saturday or during the long weekends normally, they are my rest days.

$119 a night - congratulations - I hope you enjoy your holiday, as it is all you can COPE with......

I have skied at almost all the resort in BC now, and honestly believe they don't compare. Revelstoke is the only other resort worth skiing (it will be better than Whistler once it gets developed - chair wise - still has no off-mountain features) Fernie has decent terrain when it has good snow , pity the town is a 'working' town not a great place for a family to 'holiday' - Lake Louise would be great if it actually had accommodation - Kicking Horse has some nice lines, for a short pitch then its cruise back to the chair - Sun Peaks has potential , I have never been there with good snow though - Big White is great if you can't really ski - Silverstar is pretty good actually and probably the place I would recommend for families (after Whistler) - Red I have never been but heard good things (about terrain, not nightlife/restaurants etc) - Panorama is another place good for people who cant really ski - various other small resorts which only have a few chairs (so when that aspect/elevation is bad - too bad - at Whistler we just head to another part of the mountain/s - there is always somewhere with good snow and visibility) blah blah blah

Anyway, I am sure you people are sick of this 'ignorantly blind pro-whistler' skier

Original question by boo22 - currently a 10 day lift ticket costs around CAD$700 - you will not find a better price other than booking a package direct through WB - if your accommodation booker (crystal I think you said) can match or beat this - than that is your only hope.
latest report
wbsr wrote:

Fernie is cheaper but once again a drive to the resort, and hardly a nice town to visit (and more expensive if you choose to stay at one of the few on-hill lodges)

Depends if you're looking for Disneyland or not Wink No way you'd get me to Whistler for a season just because of how corporate and fake it is.
snow report
wbsr, you've obviously gotten about in bc and have gotten to know the scene and are speaking from local knowledge so good to have your frank views. I'm going to whistler (and bc) for the first time this season. With the relative lack of snow so far, is much off piste open at the mo or is it mainly artific snow on groomers? BTW I've got a friend working in big white - why do you say it's great if you can't really ski?

edit for grammar!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 6-02-09 20:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
wbsr, I was referring to CAD as opposed to GBP. However, off the mountain it is still excellent value compared to Europe - $5 or $6 for a pint of decent beer - about half the price of what most places are charging in Europe (and an absolute steal compared to the €8 charged in Bar Roma in Courmayeur - about three times the price!)

I just felt that the way in which some things were being cut back a little, at the same time as some prices going up, gave me a bit of a bad vibe. I suppose even at $2 more than last year the chili is still a good buy for lunch. Fully agree regarding (most) of the staff though, and especially ski patrol and the events team.
latest report
I've just got back from a 3 day trip to Whistler (bolted on the end of a business trip to USA). I'd never skied before in North America so don't realy have anything to compare it with outside of the Alps, but I was absolutely blown away by the place. I'm an intermediate skier and found the amount of good runs just incredible. A mate I spoke to (who lives in resort) said they'd had no fresh snow in 3 weeks until the day before I arrived when there was a huge dump, but I found the conditions to be nigh on perfect. My final day there will live in my memory as one of my most enjoyable days skiing ever. The lift queues were pretty much non-existent, and the pistes were very quiet indeed. It wasn't cheap for a lift pass ($90 per day), but my hotel was pretty reasonable, $170 a night including breakfast in the 4* slopeside Marriott in Blackcomb. Lunch on the mountain (usually burger, fries and a drink) was $14, so not bad, certainly not outrageous.

Overall, I was so impressed with the ski area. I can't say what it was like for the more advanced and off-piste fraternity, but for my level it was great. I also found it to be a completely different ambiance to skiing (and apres ski) in the Alps, but I have to say I loved it and can't wait to go back some time.
snow report
wbsr, Thread hijack alert!

Sorry but felt i had to ask as you seem knowledgable about Whistler and i've never been.

I intend to do a season next year and Whistler is currently top of my list with the winter olympics coming the buzz is irresistable. I was planning to attend the resorts own recruitment day here in london but after some of the comments above would you advise against working for Intrawest?
I could just come over on a wing and a prayer and go for a job when i arrive but i'm a bit worried about getting there and finding no work available and a savings account going from relatively healthy to non-existent long before the olympic torch is lit.

Any advice or guidance is muchly appreciated and i'm sure i could stretch to one of those 5 or 6 dollar beers when i get there as a thankyou Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fastandicy, I should point out that it was only a couple of people that were moaning about it to me (most still seemed happy - just a minimal downturn in vibe from last year, made more noticable because of how good it was last year). I was supposed to be out in Whistler this season instructing, that didn't happen for one reason or another, but I still plan to be there next season.
snow report
fastandicy, Make accomodation your priority so UK job fair if it comes with a guaranteed spot in staff housing = win, anything else = lose. Available work if you are legal is not the problem. If all the pre Olympic speculation I saw a couple of years back is anything to go by there will be an almost terminal squeeze on housing in the Valley as people make more by renting their basement suites or appartments out for a couple of weeks over the games then they will by letting to seasonnaires all season. If you do get anywhere private it might come with a clause forcing you out mid season.

wbsr, Your ranking of BC ski areas seems similar to mine - you should get to Red some time. Despite the hype and some hardcore Whistlerites departing for it I think Revy has a lonnngggg way to go before its a Whistler (now this may be good or bad depending on your view wink ) Believe it or not some people will take the friendliness of locals in places like Fernie over the Disney like "experience" of Whistler village for a vacation (even if the bars don't recruit hotties of the same quality of Amsterdam caff etc wink )
latest report
slikedges, Off-piste is fully open officially, but anyone who has been here before will notice straight away that really only about 50% of what is normally skiable is skiable - a very low snow pack this year. Big White has lots of good intermediate terrain, but only one bowl which could be considered 'black' and after a few turns it levels out.... So, if someone is a hardcore skier, 1 day at Big White, and you are looking for more. I have been there plenty of times, due to friends who live there - always have fun - but I don't go there for the skiing, more a 'getaway' with a few turns thrown in.

skisimon, I agree the chilli bowl is worse value this year, so I have changed lunches - normally the asian stuff or one of the wraps...

Dav, I am glad you enjoyed your visit, and spoke up about it. You should try Whistler in a good year (or even an average one) - and as you mention, you can get good ski in ski out accommodation for a good price (if you avoid the holidays / long weekends)

It is only people who come here during a holiday period (Xmas/Spring Break/Presidents Weekend/Martin Luther King W/E seem to be the worse imo) that have the possibility of thinking Whistler is overpriced / too busy / and the Disneyland tag. I have been to Disneyland, and Whistler is nothing like it.....

fastandicy, The hardest part about 'doing a season' here now is accommodation. While the Intrawest pay for 1st years is pretty bad, they do guarantee (1st year employees only) a place to sleep (which is ski in ski out) So, for a season, if put up with a buck or two less per hour than you can get elsewhere, but you get a bed to sleep in (small rooms / a little crowded to be honest) in a great location (Base 2 on Blackcomb Mountains - which is at mid-station of the Blackcomb Gondola). I think they going rate is around $500 / month. You will NOT find a place to live for that money in town (maybe if you share a place with 15 people with 2 to 3 per room - and then you are not ski in ski out - Staff Housing is 2 per room normally - although you can get single rooms for a bit extra (limited rooms)

If you decided to just come out and wing it - be here by early October at the latest in order to have a chance at finding a decent place to live (jobs are generally fairly easy to get)

skisimon, That is the problem right there, we had a few awesome seasons in a row - so a lot more young / seasonal people hung around - now that it is a poor season (our standards) they are un-happy. I reckon a lot will leave during the summer.

fatbob, Red mountain is the only place on my list of 'have to go to' I was planning this season, but it doesn't seem worth it (since all of BC is having a less than average season). One day....
I really like Revelstoke, quite a lot of terrain was available from only 1 lift (gondola up, then a traverse to a chair up- I mainly rode the chair all the time) - once they get a few chairs in - woohoo. I loved the way it was all fall-line skiing - with hardly any traversing (except when doing a back bowl- but I think there is a new chair there this season) - a very steep resort - not for beginners at all - some of the groomed runs are incredibly steep (very dangerous as you get the odd cat track crossing where you get massive air) - overall LOTS of fun.
You are right that Revy is run by a lot of ex-Whistler people.
I have been to Fernie a few times, and the town reminded me of being back in the mines in Australia (spent 7 years there) - a rough town. I didn't enjoy going out drinking because the possibility of a fight always seemed real (never happened)
snow conditions
wbsr, thanks, I understand about 50cm is due over the next few days though so hopefully...
snow report
I have no idea where you heard that
ski holidays
snow-forecast.com
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
wbsr, thanks, I understand about 50cm is due over the next few days though so hopefully...

thats quite a lot of rainfall Toofy Grin
snow conditions
wbsr wrote:
Big White is great if you can't really ski

Probably why I like it so much Smile
Whistler is great, only spoilt by the vast TO crowds and the odd rainy day. Victim of its own success maybe? I've heard the backcountry is good, but then where isn't back country skiing good in BC?

Who cares which is the bestest ever NA resort? Everyone has their own preferences.
snow conditions
wbsr, hmmm .. i think there's some pretty fine skiing in the rest of BC, apart from Whistler. At Panorama now (visiting friends) and enjoying myself even on pretty low snow conditions. I guess I must be one of you're 'people who can't ski' then, but I find some of the lines in Taynton Bowl reasonably challenging and fun - certainly a real bug to snow plough thru Smile

Same at Kicking Horse a few days ago, picking chutes off CPR Ridge. And taking the mid mountain bumps runs. tough terrain to hold a wedge in.

Have to agree with you about Revelstoke - was there last weekend for 3rd time this season, and even in a low snow year the conditions are fantastic. As is the terrain - some of the best fall line and tree skiing around. And agree with you about Silver Star, it's back side is full of gnarly lines down creek beds and in trees. Great fun, even tho I can't ski ...

You should get to Red. It's is epic as long as you are willing to follow locals into trees (don't worry, they can't ski), as there are virtually no signs. And try Apex one day too. Small hill, with a darn big kick. For people who can't ski, or course Smile

I do love Whistler BTW. But other places have their charms too.
ski holidays
skisimon, fatbob, wbsr, Thanks guys.

It's sounding like Intrawest is the way to go. Really interested to find out their accommodation is ski in ski out. Any idea which one that is. according to their site they've got three, Glacier park, Westside and Brio?!?!?!?!?

I've seen mention of mid-October a couple of times now and that's starting to concern me. I was thinking the season would start Late November-Early December. Am i mis-lead? Starting that early would probably cause a few problems so do you think they'd be happy for me to start later? I guess i can only ask.........
latest report
[slow link - accidental double post deleted]

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 8-02-09 5:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
fastandicy, if you can line up work with Intrawest, and accommodation through them before you go (certainly possible for instructors, not sure about other positions though), then you should be able to have a start around mid-November. If you can't get either half of the equation sorted (most importantly accommodation) then you would need to be out there by the end of October at the latest, otherwise there will be no-where left to stay for anything less than about $2000 per month.

At the very least, Glacier's Reach is right on the main piste into town by one of the day parking lots, serviced by the lower half of the Blackcomb Gondola (not sure what time it closes though, leaving you to get up via other means...)

A bit of a cheat now... Now, I presume you're going for a working holidaymaker visa? - Note, if you're not a student get one NOW, they may all have gone for next year already, go to BUNAC. Not sure why I typed that (important info though it is), as you need a visa anyway... rolling eyes But, a good cheat is to look at what UK tour operators require in the resort - they will usually provide you with accommodation, so that is (arguably) the biggest hurdle to forget about straight away.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy