Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dumping en Ecosse - trip w/e 24/25th Jan. (MiniSnowHeadsScotlandbash?)

Poster: A snowHead
There's a load of snow falling in Scotland, particularly the west, which is making the prospect of a trip up rather tempting to say the least - particularly with Glencoe probably offering top to car park riding!

I've hooked up with someone already and we're heading up from the South West of England (yup, contrary to what you might have heard from some 'fainthearts' it really is worth the drive).

Final weather forecast permitting, we'll be driving up Friday night skiing Saturday and Sunday and then heading down after a day on the hills Sunday.

Will probably be sticking to the pistes given the avalanche warnings are high, particularly for the west.

We will probably be staying overnight in the Glencoe area but final arrangements will be made tomorrow, yup you can book that late and still get accommodation at a decent price (and it's not usually in a very expensive rabbit hutch you'd be hard pressed to swing a small carrot eating long eared mammal in).

If anyone wants to meet up on the hills and/or for say a bite to eat/drink on Saturday evening give me a shout and/or reply here.

Websites and webcams here:

Glencoe (my preferred option)
Nevis Range (close to Glencoe so another option in the west)
Cairngorm (in the east so not as much snow but the White Lady is apparently now pisted with great snow)
Lecht (in the east and far lower than the others but they've had their limited snowmaking blasting away on the lower slopes and it's looking good for beginners and early intermediates)
Glenshee (no webcams here sadly and again in the east so condition probably not as good as the first two)

Detailed discussions of what's what are going on on Winterhighland, IMHO don't bother with the Visit Scotland/Ski Scotland sites - their information is almost always out of date and limited despite their supposedly 'official' status.

REMEMBER:
  • Brilliant crack
  • Brilliant buzz
  • Loadsa snow
  • Amazing views (cloud permitting of course - if you've never been and come up from the south you'll wonder if you're in the same country!)
  • No Euros (so no crippling exchange rate)
  • Friendly locals (who speak a lingo not dissimilar to English Wink )
  • The locals queue and don't barge
  • Good beer
  • Possibility of decent curry and/or fish and chips for apres ski grub (none of that tartiflette or fondue nonsense! Wink )
  • A good conversation piece come Monday (when I guarantee you'll still be buzzing)

What more could you want snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
roga wrote:
if you've never been and come up from the south you'll wonder if you're in the same country!

You won't be. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roga, would love to but can't Sad .

Still holding out for a weekend later in the season though!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deliaskis, there will be many weekends later in the season... Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian wrote:
roga wrote:
if you've never been and come up from the south you'll wonder if you're in the same country!

You won't be. wink

LOL, good point Laughing

How could I have forgotten that, especially as an ex-pat Scot! Shocked

What I meant, of course, was same landmass/British mainland... y'know NehNeh

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 21-01-09 12:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Deliaskis wrote:
roga, would love to but can't Sad .

Still holding out for a weekend later in the season though!

I may hold you to that - would be great to see the two of you again Very Happy
shoogly wrote:
Deliaskis, there will be many weekends later in the season... Very Happy

Indeed, around about every 7 days I'd hazard wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga, I'm up for it. Would love to do Glencoe.......! Are you likely to have sapce in the car if we can arrange a meet up point? Or is there anyone else who would like to share lifts/petrol costs from England?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would have braved the M6 for this, probably, except I'll be in France.

It's a hard life.

Have a good trip, those that go!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, I'm kinda new round here. Would love to do some Scottish ski-ing.
I'm based in London and have been up a few times before using the Sleeper train from London to Fort W- a great way yo travel!
Can't make this weekend but defo up for any trips on other weekends.
Have a fantastic trip.
Cheers.
Neil Neige
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
well let me know how you get on - happy to meet up when you are there - but i'm in Edinburgh so will need to sort my own transport..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just in case anyone needs more convincing about the trip being worth it, here's a couple of photos I took last year when a few of us did a trip up North.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
not too sure how to add photo's so could somebody add these 2 links please for pics from Glencoe today.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2912065/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2912064/
snow report
 brian
brian
ac505, like this ...

Code:
[img]http://p1.pinkbike.com/photo/2912/pbpic2912065.jpg[/img]

[img]http://p1.pinkbike.com/photo/2912/pbpic2912064.jpg[/img]

Nice. Smile

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or another from my mobile phone last year (entry to Easy Gulley, Nevis off piste)

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Elizabeth B, have PMd you Smile
ski holidays
For those of you heading up to Bonnie Scotland this weekend, be warned! It is Burns' Night on Sunday, so watch out for those haggi this weekend on the slopes, as they can be a bit aggressive this time of year! Who can blame them as some of their "cousins" will be getting served at Burns' Suppers, which will be taking place on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday Blush

Therefore, any snowheads travelling up this weekend and staying over has the added bonus of maybe attending a Burns' supper (at the local pub/hotel etc) with haggis, tatties and neeps; whisky, nice beers and maybe even a Céilidh. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just grabbed this from the nevis range website:

Burns Day Lunches - Sun 25 January to 26 January

Celebrate Scotland’s best loved bard with a Burns lunch of haggis, neeps and tatties served from 12-2 in the Snowgoose Restaurant for only £6; add a wee dram for only £8. This will take place on both Saturday and Sunday.
ski holidays
Bloody hell. Skiing and Burns Night combo.

That is probably my idea of the best weekend ever.
snow report
If anyone wants to stay cheap in Aviemore anytime soon, go here

http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/offers/ahroffers/winter-break.htm

£20 per night per room. Bargain, especially if you can mix it with some good snow Very Happy
snow report
If anyone's staying in Fort William, I'd like to stick in an advert for the Bank Street Lodge.

http://www.bankstreetlodge.co.uk/

Good prices there too. If you're a real cheapskate, a dorm room is only £14.
latest report
right well is anyone planning on staying in any of those places this weekend? is anyone coming up and where are you going? if its only 14 to say over could certainly consider the useless train service!
latest report
The weather forecasts seem to be even more vague than usual. Anyone any insight into how it may actually be on Sat/Sun? It's a long way up to find everything shut/snowed up.
snow report
Rightie ho guys, I'm definitely up snowHead

Not sure yet where we're staying - need to either ring round tonight or tomorrow at the last minute.

As for weather I get the impression Saturday is going to be the best day with more snow coming in Sunday with the morning better than the afternoon (which is fine for us 'coz we'll have top head back south in the afternoon... worst luck!).

More weather information on the ever reliable Winterhighland and also check out the excellent Mountain Weather Information Service (MWIS).

From Winterhighland:
Quote:
Thursday 22nd January
FL: Surface. WhiteOut
914m: -2°c SW 35 gust 70mph

Friday 23rd January
FL: 2000ft. Blizzard
914m: -2°c SW 25 gust 50mph

Saturday 24th January
FL: 2000ft. Snow Showers
914m: -2°c West 20-40mph

Sunday 25th January
FL: 2000ft. Snow
914m: -2°c SE 20 gust 30mph

So Thursday and Friday setting up for a decent Saturday and Sunday morning I'd say - should be good snowHead
snow report
roga - beat me to it snowHead

MOUNTAIN WEATHER INFORMATION SERVICE at http://www.mwis.org.uk have pretty detailed forecasts
Quote:
The MWIS provides detailed 72 hour Mountain specific forecasts which are updated late afternoon for the East and West Highlands, plus the Southern Uplands seven days a week. Also forecasts for The Cumbrian Fells (updated 6 days a week), The Peak District and The Snowdonia National Park (updated 3 days a week).
snow conditions
roga, you lucky, awful, bastard. Have a good time man. Skiing and a proper Burns Night. I'm seething green here. When I'm tucking into my bucket of snails, I'll be thinking of haggis.
snow report
roga, I fancy a midweek trip at some stage to take advantage of the empty slopes. Would probably use the sleeper from Euston to Fort Bill and then somehow or other get a lift to Glencoe and then Nevis the following day.

Any of you lot fancy a midweeker in a couple of weeks time?
ski holidays
paulmck, I'll be back in Scotland in a couple of weeks so would happily meet up and I tend to ski mid week rather than weekends. Glencoe have cheep mid week tickets on their website:
http://www.glencoemountain.com/v1/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:special-offers&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulmck, I'll be up there towards the end of March for a mid-weeker, following on from a 1st aid course that is over a weekend. Will post info nearer the time, but would be happy to meet up with people then.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scotland v Wales weekend of Feb 14th, not decided if I am coming up to Scotland but if I did, maybe I could come up early or stay later? and get a day sliding. Any way of getting up the mountain except for a tow/drag lift?
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
Scotland v Wales weekend of Feb 14th, not decided if I am coming up to Scotland but if I did, maybe I could come up early or stay later? and get a day sliding. Any way of getting up the mountain except for a tow/drag lift?

pity all those who go out for a nice romantic "valentines" meal that night... town will be absolutely hoochin'!

Very Happy
snow report
more helpful info from your resident scottish tourist service* here...

go here http://www.mountainaccess.co.uk/store/home.php to book your tickets for glencoe in advance and the first 50 get 33% off the lift ticket price.

I already have 2, and my order numbers are 5 digits apart so there's at most 45 left at that price for tomorrow Shock)
snow report
I tried very hard to persuade MrQ that skiing in Glencoe this weekend was a great idea (it being my birthday and everything) but he would hear none of it Sad So to everyone who is going - have a great time snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
RachelQ, I wish my wife would try and persuade me to go skiing at Glencoe tomorrow ! I've got brownie points to regain from a week in Switzerland so its bedroom painting for me. Sad

Happy Birthday anyway. snowHead
latest report
roga, good luck hope you get some skiing in, Sunday looks very snowy!
ski holidays
roga, I'll be hitting Glencoe tomorrow all going well, never been there or the Lecht before so am broadening my horizons!!! I am so-o-o goshdarned excited!!! Cya there!!!
ski holidays
Just got some cheap online tickets for Glencoe tomorrow Smile
I've got a blue jacket, blue helmet and orange Elan skis, I may be slkiing with another girl or being left behind by 2 guys so fell free to come up and say hello
snow conditions
I've (reluctantly) decided that I need to sort out my ski boots before I go skiing at 1/2 term, and as this is the last chance I'll have, then I'm not going to ski this weekend Crying or Very sad

Have a great time those of you that go..... snowHead
snow conditions
Could you guys please give me some more info on that "sleeper" train some have mentioned?

Ta. Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
Kruisler, je vous en prie Little Angel

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html
snow conditions
Kruisler, I've used the Sleeper a few times. It's a great way to travel from London/south east up to the mountains. Very pleasant and comfortable. Quite pricey (£200 is the full return fare but can get for £130 in advance or a lot less if you have reclining seat instead of cabin) but you effectively save two nights on accommodation.
You could leave on Friday night (9pm) and have three days on the slopes with just one day off work.
I'm hoping to make the trip again this season...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy