Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waxing Midweek

Poster: A snowHead
This really only applies to those of us who hire skis I imagine.

Does anyone have their skis re-waxed halfway through their weeks hire? I never have, but there's no doubt that I do notice that my skis run less cleanly by about day 4.

If anyone does, what's the approx cost and has anyone encountered any resistance?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chasseur, I hired in Flachau for a week, but having paid for premium skis, I simply changed them halfway through the week for something different, which of course had just had a full service...

The hire shop also offered a 5 minute express service for skis at €8, so I guess you could have this done to their hire skis with their approval. You could even watch it being done through a window if you wanted.

In some places, there are automatic waxing machines where you pay €2 and step onto a conveyor belt - I've never tried them, and probably never would with my own kit, but with someone else's skis? wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wax - I didn't even shave
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boris, I'm with you on this one, I totally misunderstood the heading. Simple answer is if you're in Austria and using the wellness facilities then a midweek wax is order of the day Blush
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chasseur, if you're only waxing, then you can buy loads of easy to apply waxes which I think will do the trick for you.

For what its worth - edge sharpening and wax cost me €17 last week for my own skis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris, I'm sure you're right but I'd rather avoid applying something to equipment owned by someone else.

Thanks for the price info.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
surely if you're hiring, you should get as much waxing as you want done from the place you're hiring... if not, go to a different shop.

I've had this in Italy and in Canada at Lake Louise, where they were only too happy to freshen up the skis including an edge sharpening at request as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly, that's why I asked, having not done so before....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another option is to give the hire ski's a rub down at the end of each day with some Zardoz Notwax which should keep them running smooth all week. Alternatively as shoogly suggested then the hire shop should wax em if they need it - particularly if you can show that the ski bases are drying out a little (turning from black to grey, probably under the binding area).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i always just ask them to rewax them after 3/4 days. i don't expect to pay, and never have. just chuck them in after your day and pick them up in the morning. you pay through the nose these days to hire, it's the least they can do in my opinion!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
With you, fatmansan. When I turn up at our regular hire shop the owner gives my wife and daughters' skis a quick run over the hot wax box, gratis, all part of the service. But then, he knows I'm good for future business...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatmansan wrote:
i always just ask them to rewax them after 3/4 days. i don't expect to pay, and never have. just chuck them in after your day and pick them up in the morning. you pay through the nose these days to hire, it's the least they can do in my opinion!

Thanks - seems reasonable.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find waxing on a weekend is more socially acceptable - although it leaves a nasty rash..... Ooops, sorry, wrong forum. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mustdash? Or is that mustrash at the weekend? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone else noticed that ski shop[s in France (well La plagne anyway) don't stock anything that you could use to service your skis/board. No rub on wax, no edge sharpeners, absolutely nothing. And that servicing isn't that cheap. What a strange coincedence.

Italian and Austrian shops seem to carry a full range of bits n bobs.
snow conditions
Quote:

mustdash? Or is that mustrash at the weekend?

Ooops.... I've been rumbled!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy