Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I buy Elan Mag 8 for $399?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well I have a pair of old racing Rossingol skis. They are 175cm long or so, and I have done well in these skis. I enjoy them but I am ready to move on.

For $399 I can purchase some Elan Mag 8 skis, and the cheapest I can find them online for is $599. I considered K2 since they are ever so popular but I heard some people say they are not anything special, but decent. With that being said I am looking to spend $300-400 USD. I have a local shop that carries these Elan Mag 8's and they look right up my alley, but I was wondering if people thought I could find a better ski or deal on these?

Should I go with the sale ASAP while this shop has them on sale, or should I look at other brands. This shop lets me demo the ski for $40 USD (take them for a day) which can be applied your purchase if you buy the skis. I have the option to test anything in the Elan lineup basically it seems. But he mentioned these Mag 8's were only $399, and the next Elan's were like $599. And I have reservations about spending more money on the skis. But I do go skiing almost weekly weather permitting.

Should rent both pairs of skis and head to the hills and turn in the pair I find to be the least bang for the buck Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 23-01-09 22:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ryan Pringnitz, that's a fair price, though that IS last year's ski.

In similar sizes, the 888 is a (MUCH) better ski, easily worth $600 with the right binding on it, with a damper feel closer to that of your old Rossis.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I say old Rossingol skis I mean DV7L, something like 10+ years old I have been told. Very out dated. On the hills the instructors say if I am doing alright turning with these skis then I would be ready for anything new. Saying that these old Rossi's are really just meant to go fast down in a hill without turning at all really.

With that being said I see any new parabolic shaped ski as an improvement, and since this is my largest investment in to the sport. I want to get the best buy, now you say 888's, is that Elan, who makes the 888's?

I have looked at the ski and the graphics are the same as what is on Elan's website so I think they are most likely 09 models but I could be wrong. Any website selling the skis for $599 have them in the same graphic (if that means anything).

I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 23-01-09 22:47; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ryan Pringnitz, The Magfire 82 in orange colours with the single titanium sheet is the current ski. There is also a Magfire 82 in red that's stiffer and less forgiving of having your weight way far back than the orange one. Both are very nice, but the 888 is the value for money ski in Elan's lineup.

Both are going to require a LOT of skills retraining to get even close to 50% of their potential out of them.

BTW, if you are skiing Mount Boh and getting lake effect powder now, see if you can't demo a set of Pogo Sticks, also Elan. Sproinky jackrabbit fun in glades and 3D terrain, a lot lighter than the carvier models.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just called the guy and he said they are in fact 09 models for $399, not a demo or anything. The next ski he has is $599 and it is the Mag 78 regular, 09 model as well. I consider the 78 because I would rather purchase a set of skis that will last me 10 years rather then 3. And I am just concerned that the Mag 8 is too entry level.

But I am reallly open to suggestions, I am looking for the 888 ski that you speak of.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 23-01-09 22:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I see the freeride 888 skis Elan has. You guys really find these to be the most appealing of the Elan skis? Do you guys have other suggestions for brands or skis?

The 888's are even more expensive, but if you guys say these are the skis to go with from Elan and the rest are a waste of time / not as good of a purchase, then I have to take the experts advice here.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 23-01-09 22:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ryan Pringnitz, my advice would be to spend less money, buy 2 weeks worth of lessons on how to use the new gear, ski the cheap skis, then sell them and buy better -next- season.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Where are the Elan Mag 8's for sale for 399, if I may ask. They are $479 at my local dealer (Portsmouth NH).
Thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy