Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Menuires to Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to organise a meet up between our group based at La Coisette Les Menuires and and our friends skiing in Valmenier(?) they are taking the 3 vallees express from Orelle. We are aiming to meet and ski around the Altiport/ Plateau area in Val Thorens. Roughly how long does it take to get from Les Menuires to the heart of the Val Thorens area If you get early lifts say 9 to 9:30 last week in Jan?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Captain Chaos, from the Croisette, take the Menuires chair & then the Mont de la Chambre chair, turn right at the top & follow the signs to VT. There's a choice of black (Goitschel) or blue (Pluviometre) to get down into VT - the black isn't too tricky, usually, but it does get rather scraped & icy if the snow isn't too good (it really was quite unpleasant last week - people skidding helplessly all over the place - but with a bit more snow, it's fine). Then down Plein Sud & Cairn blues, up the Moutiere chair, down a bit of the Linotte blue & you're at the Altiport. Should take about an hour/hour & a half. Most of which is due to the chairs.
Btw, if the queue at the Mont de la Chambre chair looks too long (this was the only major queue we encountered last week) you can ski down (to the left, going down from the Menuires chair) to the Bruyeres bubble - this will take you up to the same area as the MdlC chair, & may be a rather better option if the weather isn't so nice snowHead .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Jo, that's fantastic, so hard to judge off a piste map! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would have said much less than an hour and a half, last week of january the queus are going to pretty minimal and it is only couple of lifts from les menuires to the heart of val thorens. Go for the bruyeres bubble as you can get ski to it from the centre of les menuires whereas you have to get another chair to get on the mont de la chambre chair.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take Plein sud down from the top of mont de la chambre and instead of going down to the Moutiere lift,
take Deux Lacs lift and turn right off the lift and you're at the altiport. About 15 minutes from top of Mont de la Chambre.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rambotion wrote:
I would have said much less than an hour and a half, last week of january the queus are going to pretty minimal and it is only couple of lifts from les menuires to the heart of val thorens. Go for the bruyeres bubble as you can get ski to it from the centre of les menuires whereas you have to get another chair to get on the mont de la chambre chair.

From the Croisette (which is the OP's starting point) you still need to take the Menuires chair up to get to the Bruyeres bubble. But yes, it could well prove to be the quickest way to go - last week, the queues for the MdlC chair were surprisingly long, whereas we never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for the bubble.

jimmjimm wrote:
Take Plein sud down from the top of mont de la chambre and instead of going down to the Moutiere lift,
take Deux Lacs lift and turn right off the lift and you're at the altiport. About 15 minutes from top of Mont de la Chambre.

No, Deux Lacs ends too low. You do need the Moutiere lift (they are quite close together at the top, but the Moutiere is that bit higher up) - it's from there that you can take the right-hand piste down to the Altiport.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the help guys, looks like if I allow an hour or so I should get there in reasonable time. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jo225, you describe that black as though from experience - have you given it a try? - I've noticed its one of the routes back down if I get over to the next valley.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
Jo225, you describe that black as though from experience - have you given it a try? - I've noticed its one of the routes back down if I get over to the next valley.

Yes, I skied it several times at the EoSB, & it didn't seem black at all, really. But then I did it a few times last week, & it was horrid - very icy & skiddy, with people sliding around all over the place... But then so were a lot of the pistes. The whole area was in serious need of more snow. In better conditions, with a decent amount of snow on it, it's not a difficult piste (especially if you do the loop around to the right - this is much less steep than the straight-ahead part, & joins lower down) but it's not too nice when it's hard-pack, as it does get a lot of traffic & consequently gets very polished.
I'd say give it a go if there's plenty of snow about (you should be fine snowHead ) but perhaps go down Pluviometre instead if it's a bit thin...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy