Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping Guides/Instructors

Poster: A snowHead
What do people tend to tip their instructors/guides? If I've had a good experience I will normally go 15 to 20%. For insructors or guides out there what are your expectations or would you consider the 'norm'?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gsyfreerider, It never occured to me to tip Shocked Embarassed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flowa, It maybe stems from when I took up skiing again and went to the US and Canada quite a lot where it is perhaps more in the culture, I just presumed when I started going to Europe that it was same there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have tipped when part of ski-school for the week, but not private lessons - dunno why really, I don;t suppose the instructor gets paid any more either way.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have a spare few hours this previous thread is good reading Shocked - shame it only made it to 8 pages though Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gsyfreerider, no, I'm just a cheap skate who has only ever done two lessons. Blush
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've never tipped any instructors per se, but at the end of our holiday in Switzerland where the location is so small you know all the instructors by name and they all know you by name, what I do is to take English tea and biscuits with me and at the end of the week present the ski office with enough tea and biscuits to share between them and lifties and piste bashing staff - I'm not comfortable with tips and it always seems to be well received.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Often give 20 euro after a 2 hour private lesson Confused Worked my way up through hotels and know what tips mean, therefore if the service is good I like giving them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a ski instructor.........there are not so many nationality who give us tip......but there 's no a price it depend from your satisfaction.......but the idea it is to give them few drink......
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What do other people do about tipping guides? I usually buy them a meal and a drink, but there was one guy in Zermatt who hung around like a bad smell obviously hoping for a tip. I wouldn't mind but that was the first time he'd paid proper attention to us in the whole 2 days, so he was waiting to no avail.........
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I am out with them for a day I think it's a general expectation you buy them lunch......I don't tip if they are Sh*t or like that muppet you had in Zermatt that kind of situation really sucks. A friend of mine use to incentivise her instructor and tell them they could expect a good tip if she got what she wanted out of the lesson, not something I would do but it worked for her.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx, No they don't get paid more for private lessons.

Gsyfreerider, It's nive but slightly embarrassing to get tips - by no means common though. IME the instructors who are clearly struggling more get tipped more! Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I offer them a beer, that's it (and feed them if we're together at lunch - that seems to be expected). It would never have occurred to me to offer a tip. Am I a mean git? (Yes, I am.)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't be the only person who wishes the world had never invented tipping. I find the whole etiquette of the thing when to, when not to, country specific ideas etc. to be fraught with 'danger'. I don't know why we don't just all get charged a tad more and the people providing the service get a higher wage (yes, I know it would never work that way, but look how much easier it would be!).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, it's not difficult to work out what local customs are.

I often offer a drink or buy a bottle of wine, more as a sign of friendship and respect than a "tip", but if I skied in the US I would offer a tip. Last week I was tipped a bottle of Limoncello by my group last week - given the state of my hangover on Saturday I would rather have had nothing but a word of thanks!
snow report
In my experience it is usual to give mountain guides lunch, plus generally a moderate tip at the end: (Last time the 6 of us gave €20 each after 5 days but I'm not sure what is normal.) Certainly nothing like 15% which is too much. Perhaps half that? But when in a public group I have often not tipped and I think many people don't.

I'm skiing for the first time in the US in a weeks time, We will be doing the steep and deep camp at jackson Hole, Is it usual to tip on something like that?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-01-09 18:45; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
rob@rar, you'll be OK for a while, now - I haven't even been able to look at Limoncello for about 4 years, since passing out after most of a bottle... Toofy Grin

I think our group tipped our guide in La Grave last year, as well as buying lunches etc. I've tipped an instructor in the US - I had a day and changed group after lunch, and the pm instructor gave us a great time, plus it's a heavy-duty tipping culture. I've never tipped an instructor in Europe (though one or two have been cute enough that paying them in kind wouldn't have been out of the question... Little Angel )
snow conditions
I will normally give 10-15% 'for a beer' after kids ski school courses, we used to bring some chocs or beer to the office but find this easier. In the past with adult groups we have all chipped in. It would depend on the quality though Toofy Grin I guess we have been lucky.
ski holidays
snowball,

Yes
ski holidays
vetski wrote:
rob@rar, you'll be OK for a while, now - I haven't even been able to look at Limoncello for about 4 years, since passing out after most of a bottle... Toofy Grin

Me and Limoncello have officially gone our separate ways. I'd rather slurp the spawn of the Green Tree Frog.
snow report
rob@rar, can't fault you there. I tried the stuff for the first time in Livigno last year....aaarrrgghhhh, foul, wretched stuff....and I don't mind a drink or two Shocked
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
vetski wrote:

Me and Limoncello have officially gone our separate ways. I'd rather slurp the spawn of the Green Tree Frog.

Send it over, we love the stuff. Very Happy

Looking forward to Mojitos in Canada though. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
Send it over, we love the stuff. Very Happy

Looking forward to Mojitos in Canada though. Toofy Grin

Limoncello & Mohitos is not a good combination, take my word for it Going green I'd love to send you the remains of the fearful yellow stuff, but the empty bottle was discarded midway through Friday evening.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I sat at the swim-up bar in Costa Rica last summer, drinking Mojitos, till I fell off of the stool and nearly drown myself. Laughing
latest report
On the tipping front - I get paid a massive $10 an hour and if I manage to get a morning and afternoon lesson, that's 4.5hrs pay. Tip your instructors if they do a good job!

Oh, and if you're in Fernie, tell them I sent you - we also get a 10% commission on things we sell, but I haven't figured out how to throw a sales pitch to a 4 year old yet Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I got a bottle of red wine last week. Shame I don't like red wine really. Sad
ski holidays
I did an hours lesson, group of 10, they took me to the bar afterwards, bought me beer, then all of them put £5 tip in, so free beer and £50 for an hours work, plus my wages. Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I can't be the only person who wishes the world had never invented tipping.

No, there are two of us.

I have nothing against the occassional gesture or gift for someone who's done something beyond the call of duty. What I don't like are (almost) mandatory tips. If the prices is $E£100 and you expect a 15% tip, why not just charge me $E£115? It's not paying $E£115 I object to, it's the charade.

Don't get me going on tipping hairdressers (slightly OT, I know)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm an instructor and we really, really appreciate tips! If you think you've had good service then please tip! We get paid the same whether private or group lessions and it really tops up our (meagre) wages. Although, obviously I don't do the job for the money... I work really hard with my guests, so I think it's nice to be appreciated, especially if you've been with them all week. If you just book a one or two hour lesson, then tips are not usually expected, but if you are with the instructor for a whole day or longer, we do like a thankyou. Presents are nice, but money is much better, the same goes for lunch - a tip is preferable to being bought lunch (especially as instructors can get cheaper food at restaurants when they take guests).

Obviously, if you think your instructor wasn't any good (and this does happen), then don't tip!

To all the lovely people who do tip - thankyou!
ski holidays
After my first ever lesson in Canada (3 days) we left a card and a nice bottle of wine addressed to our instructor at her office. It was a group lesson so had been pre-paid at the office.
latest report
Ski instructors are not well paid so if the lessons have been good give a tip. You will find that if you go back to the same place next year you will get a warm welcome and a choice of lesson times
ski holidays
ski instructor are very well paid.......just abusive or illegal instructor are paid less.......but if you are legally there you are paid very very well......
ski holidays
lungostyle wrote:
ski instructor are very well paid.......just abusive or illegal instructor are paid less.......but if you are legally there you are paid very very well......

Not sure that some of my friends who teach in Switzerland would agree with that.
latest report
The Jackson Hole Steep and Deep Camp is already $990 just for the guides/instructors for 4 days. So am I supposed to tip $100 or $150? Admittedly it is 4 punters per guide but I'm b*ggered if I'll do that!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 24-01-09 12:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowball, that's not such a good price with today's exchange rate Shocked My usual trip to the US this summer is looking more and more doubtful Sad
snow conditions
lungostyle wrote:

very, very well paid compared to who?

France is certainly the best paid, North America is shocking as is the UK. You'd earn more here flipping burgers. I couldn't afford to give up my day job and live on an instructors wages. I considered becoming a swimming instructor a few years ago, the pay was 3 times that of a ski instructor, no equipment costs, expensive training course costs. Bar a pair of speedo's and a whistle that's it and most of the time didn't even get wet. Ski Instructors are exploited by their employers because they love what they do. The money is rubbish.
snow report
So is most of my $990 going to the organisers? 4 punters at nearly $1000 each for 4 days work is rather, um, good?

Edit; sorry, that does include 4 day lift-pass at a very reduced rate.
So what would someone who knows the US suggest I tip?
snow conditions
YOU'RE PAYING $1000 EACH FOR 4-DAYS OF LESSONS???? DO YOU GET A NEW PAIR OF SKIS EVERY DAY FOR THAT???
snow report
snowball, yep organisers are making a killing... Cost it out if you got 3 buddies and booked a private - even at the $600/day rate US ski schools use that is $150 each a day... the instructor is getting a fraction... There is a reason some camps can afford to have a heap of "helpers" ... it is because you are paying for them!!!
latest report
Find it HERE .
They run it 4 times per year - I gather it is quite famous. One of our group has done it a couple of times as the SCGB holiday leader. I see they say it includes lunch and dinner, which I hadn't realized and makes it rather better. Bl**dy expensive,even so!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy