Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to decide??

Poster: A snowHead
I recently tried a paid of Stoekli Stormrider VXLs - I thought they were FANTASTIC. Fat (85) but agile, grippy but stable etc. etc. I loved them - I told everyone about them, I needed new skis ....... I got excited: I'm going to buy these skis and not need 2 pairs .... Then I discovered their price - €980 in the shop. anyway I asked Cedric what they would do for an instructor... 25% off - not nearly enough .... he then offerred to give them to me at cost + tax making nothing on the deal - Stokli wouldn't do better than a total of €572 (with bindings) Sad Sad Still I vascillated, then I found out I can replace my Fischers for €350 with bindings ........ it got worse, I hummed, I haaahed and again, and again, and again. €220 difference - but I DID LOVE THOSE SKIS ...

What happened? I decided to be sensible and bought the Fischers (well ordered them) and then Cedric phones me to tell me that Stokli have offered another €100 off - TOO LATE. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Anyway the main thing is that you should know that the Stokli Stormrider VXL is an absolutely fabulous all round ski for a decent but light skier. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, I ski Stormrider offroad XL, absolutely love them. Paid £100 for them brand new, ex bindings. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, they sound great, if very expensive. Did you ever get to try the Missions last year? I wonder how they compare.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, can't you cancel the order? Even if it cost you carriage to return them you could then still have your beloved Stoeklis.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 20-01-09 0:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, they will be even better next year when they get a 100mm waist.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, The VXL is much softer IIUI

RachelQ, No - but I tried the Crusade and hated them - clumsy and slow moving. The Stormriders are very agile, rather like the Zags but on steriods

Megamum, No - they're ordered from the ESF guy who's the local rep for Fischer, they're last year's stock from the factory and are a special price... I could never order another pair in those circs if I cancelled! The Race SC is over 500 in the shops - never mind the WC one.

Anyway I do love my Fischers - really love them - that's why it was such a hard decision as it wasn't like for like.

comprex, Much to wide for me - no point to it at all. Actually I'm happy on the 78mm Zags ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, glad to hear the report, you're the first person I know who's tested the VXLs. They were on my list to try but if you like them, they're probably too much for me. Rutschen gets 10% off at Stöckli through work but I don't suppose that helps you either

RachelQ, easiski, from what I gather from someone who should know, there's no comparison between the Mission and and the Crusade; the latter evidently is fine if you want to be almost straight-lining an open powder field, but haven't a fraction of the manoeuvrability of the Mission. Or so I'm told.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
easiski, this summer I got a pair of last year's Stormrider XXXLs which is the ski the VXL has replaced. Same construction I think but mine have slightly less sidecut (122-89-112) and are 188cm long so the natural radius is a whopping 26.8m !)

They absolutely rock. Madeye-Smiley

On piste, even on quite hard snow, for a fat ski they absolutely rail, but I also found the agility surprising. They really don't feel like the massive boards they were when you plonked them down to click in. Off piste, they're sensational.

btw, did you try Stoeckli direct ? The list price of the VXL in Switzerland is 829 CHF which is about €550. They might do you a deal direct (although by the sounds of it it's too late).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, that price would be without bindings, though, wouldn't it?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
eng_ch, you're right, sorry, I hadn't quite followed Charlotte's pricing properly above. Embarassed

Have you tried the XXL btw ? I haven't personally but have heard good things. They'll be reaching the end of their 2 year cycle in a couple of months time. Could be bargains for you Swiss based types. wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, no I haven't, but like you I hear good things. I tried the XL Ed and the Rotor 76 last season, found the XL Ed less involving, I could have lived with it quite happily, but it didn't touch my heart. The Rotor was fun but obviously more piste based. However I liked them both enough to want to try others in the range and hope they're not too much for me. Also got my beady eye on trying some Movements (Yaka Jam and Spicy at the top of my list). Now the powder bug has bitten me, even if I'm not very good yet, I just pick up the Rosas for everything because they can handle all the conditions I'm likely to ski. When I replace them, which I very much doubt will be this season (the bank account hopes not at all events!) I'll be looking for something similarly versatile with not too large a radius. The Mission will also be an option, but I do rather like the idea of supporting the local companies
ski holidays
 brian
brian
eng_ch, I've only tried them in a snowdome, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the Mission, given the general raving it seems to attract.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, mission = punter ski wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, I started skiing too late to be anything other than a punter really, so where's the problem? Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eng_ch, on most criteria, you are much less of a punter than me (and therefore have less excuse to choose punter skis Wink )
latest report
Arno, thankee kindly but not sure what criteria you're using!
snow conditions
easiski, the point would be that you might have to teach students on 105mm+ waist, and adapt tactics appropriately?
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
Arno, thankee kindly but not sure what criteria you're using!

Swiss resident, 2nd home in a ski resort....you're a local not a punter wink
snow report
brian, I didn't try any others, but was well impressed with the VXLs - I'm sorry not to be skiing a pair - very agile for a fat (relatively) ski. As you know I'm not a fan of big radius skis or big waisted ones - 15m radius at 159 which was just right, although long compared to the Fischers.

comprex, No way - ploughing on fats? forget that!!! At 9st why would I want 105mm???? 78mm on the Zags is fine, and I skied off piste today on my 64mm fischers quite happily!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, My new skis are 98mm underfoot and the radius is 19m. Seriously... they feel quicker to get on edge than my old B2s. If I had top technique I might be happy on narrower skis... but these seem to let me play on any terrain without making big compromises regarding on piste. I may hire a decent pure piste ski for one day a week though just to practice technique on.
latest report
Just to let you all know that I've now got my new Fischers and had them out yesterday - I was like a pig in swill - they're great, and it's amazing how different they feel to the old ones. Of course after 4 years (winter and summer about 120 weeks), the old ones aren't what they were, but they're still OK to ski on. The new ones though are FAB and make me realise how 'dead' the old ones have become. I also had a bit of a moment today on the Zags until I realised they didn't have quite the same edge hold! rolling eyes
So the (last years) Fischer WC SC has abig yes vote. Very Happy
snow report
easiski, Whoopee! Have fun on them!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hm, this ski sounds very interesting. Just done a quick google and looks like it meets the BASI radius requirements.

easiski, do you think it would be a good ski for doing ISIA courses?

Wonder if they'll be on the BASI offer next year?!
snow conditions
brian,

ha ha ha.. I'd bet my house on the Stocklis over a Mission... and I agree, I was distinctly underwhelmed as well...but wasn't surpirsed..if that makes sense.

Another one for you.... MX88... same sort of thing but BIG BUCKS... but since you are sorted, you can laugh in the face of ski sellers

P.S.. anyone want MX88's in 178...( traded up to 188 ) ...2 days skiing with Griffons... You'll be hard pressed to find them in Yurp
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Back to the Crusade, Rutschen's Missions are basically dead, no spring or camber left at all, so he tried the Crusades last week and totally fell for them. He also enjoyed the Movement Sparks everywhere except he felt he wanted a wider ski in powder
latest report
eng_ch, makes sense.. or the Scott Pure...but I am not sold on Scott's quality atm...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, Are they not a bit short radius for BASI at the mo? 11m in 155 .... Great skis for all sorts of things though. Edge hold is phenomenal, and they're quite happy in sp turns and sideslipping etc. FF AA SS TT though. Shocked

eng_ch, IIUC the Crusade is a step up from the Mission - I found them unwieldy and clumsy compared to the Stocklis though in spite of having a 1m shorter radius, but they seem to be very popular.

Megamum, thanks!
snow report
easiski, is it? I googled them and found radius here:

http://www.skicenter.com/web/product.asp?prod_name=SRVXL+09&pf_id=PAAAIAIBCBEPJJGC&dept_id=3186&s_id=0&

15.1 radius at 159cms?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
eng_ch, IIUC the Crusade is a step up from the Mission - I found them unwieldy and clumsy compared to the Stocklis though in spite of having a 1m shorter radius, but they seem to be very popular.

Don't forget R is a large lad anyway, and he's spread a little in the middle too (don't tell him I said that!) so he's much heavier than you although obv you're in a different class technique-wise - maybe the weight makes a difference? He certainly didn't seem to find them unwieldy and clumsy - when I could see him before he disappeared off at warp 10 on them Wink

I think I might still try the VXL, even if only to discover whether or not it's too much for me. Quite liked the Movement Spicy last week
snow report
eng_ch, just spent some time here in Jackson on the VXL, really nice edging carve, not very pliable in the deeper bumps, and, oddly, not very much float at all, too stiff. Actually, the carve wasn't really as acute as I expected, I expect the tip to really pull into the turn and it didn't really do that.
ski holidays
I tried the Yaka Jam on a powder course on Monday; I stayed on them all day rather than ditching them after the first run so I guess I must have liked them! They certainly turned nicely and easily in the deep stuff and had no issues on pistes that were becoming quite bumpy. They felt stable enough to go a lot faster than the conditions on piste would really allow too. No ice to speak of, but they handled the odd scraped-off patch without inducing any lack of confidence
ski holidays
beanie1, apologies - I was on to the Fischers by then - Yes I would think that Stormrider VXL would be very good all round for BASI stuff. I'd prefer it to a GS ski - it feels agile like a slalom ski... Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, how'd you like the VXL in deep bumps?
snow conditions
comprex, I didn't try them in deep bumps - clearly they'd be a bit wide. However I did ski some small bumps and they were fine with that - quick and soft enough. If the bumps have the usual french 50mm wide grooves then clearly you're in trouble! Shocked
ski holidays
JT wrote:
brian,

ha ha ha.. I'd bet my house on the Stocklis over a Mission... and I agree, I was distinctly underwhelmed as well...but wasn't surpirsed..if that makes sense.

Another one for you.... MX88... same sort of thing but BIG BUCKS... but since you are sorted, you can laugh in the face of ski sellers

P.S.. anyone want MX88's in 178...( traded up to 188 ) ...2 days skiing with Griffons... You'll be hard pressed to find them in Yurp

are you trying to flog them for £600 on ebay?
snow report
Arno, My mate has them..so probably...

Big deal in Europe, unheard of over here..but expect a few of the cooler shops to try and stock them next year. On the lines of a charging Stockli with all round jizz...

easiski, The Kastles MX88's are a good tip for Ski Extreme..... glad you are having fun on your new skis
latest report
JT, they look really nice (although i'd be more interested in the 98 version) but really expensive... and i always think white skis for off piste is a dodgy idea
snow conditions
Arno, yes..agree on all points..but they do have that funny coloured 'window' on the tip...maybe that is so you can beem it up when/if you lose it.

I talked my mate into the 188's and now he blasts everything... Evil or Very Mad The MX98's seem a great idea

If they are his they will have Griffons on and have been skied for 2 days in very good snow... and they were nigh on 1000 eu new, IIRC...but I could be wrong there.

Sounds a good price.

They are heading for Zinal as we speak...Laughing wink
snow conditions
JT, saw a couple of pairs of MX88s attached to feet in St Anton. Nice looking ski; look pretty solid - like a Mantra or Monster.
snow report
Barkymark, The review of a leading French mag..which I can't recall atm...said it blew everything else ( of that ilk ) out of the water... praise indeed..
and my mate loves them..
wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy