Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dogtag - Claim Handling

Poster: A snowHead
I have a Dogtag annual family policy.
Unfortunately I needed to make a claim for using the Med centre at La Plagne Centre over Christmas.
I sent the claim form off on January 6th 2009 and the payment was in my bank account on January 16th 2009.

I have never had such good servive from an insurance and/or claims company.

So well done Dogtag!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
excellent - I took my policy out with then two years ago after hearing other such stories.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, excellent service. I have a large claim in with Direct Travel, which I sent off on the 12th, I hope it is processed as quickly . Hope no-one was badly injured.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, Compared to your story (!) a mere scratch Smile
May I suggest a follow up call or e-mail just to check the claims handlers have your claim form and don't require anything else, in my experience they can write as many unnecesary letters as solicitors Toofy Grin
( But obviously not Dogtags claim firm!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, done that already, and I've received back the documents I was asked to include (apart from the bills of course). If I hear nothing more by I will get in touch again. I am not really too bothered about the speed of the claim, as long as it is paid out, we are not in a hurry to use it for another holiday just yet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, I had a good medical claim experience with Snowcard a few years ago. Nice to see some companies building up a good track record.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, I am pleased by your report - it was the largely favourable recommendation from Snowheads and a good deal on pre-existing medical conditions from their partner group which made me choose them over insure and go this year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, Excellent....I received my shiny new Dogtags through the post the other day, hope I don't need them but it's lovely to know that they can process a claim so quickly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've heard it said that it pays to carry a note of your insurance details with you in case you need help in an emergency (I guess ideally a copy of the policy document). If you pocketted the dog tag and produced that would it be sufficient to meet this need?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Isn't the idea of a dogtag that you wear it not pocket it? Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B wrote:
Isn't the idea of a dogtag that you wear it not pocket it? Puzzled

Yep, and not leave it on the desk in the office along side your EHIC card when you go to Montalbert for a long weekend Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, that's really good to hear. We took out our first Dogtag annual policy last year but didn't have to claim. We've renewed the policy for this season and would still rather not claim but it's good to know that they provide such good service. Sorry you had to though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Claire from Dogtag here. Just to let you know that each Dogtag has the insured's name, their unique identification TAG number and an emergency phone number. With this information the emergency assistance team will be able to quickly verify the customers insurance and arrange assistance. Medics can also go onot the website using the customers TAG number to obtain any vital medical information entered by the customer, which in a life or death situation is invaluable. We always recommend taking your TAG with you when you travel rather than leave it in your desk at work!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was just about to post that I believe you only need to have the tag with you as it has your ID number etc. but I see I was beaten to it by Dogtag(Claire)! Quick response.

D
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BUMP

Just re-newd my Annual Family travel insurance.
Dogtag got my money again Very Happy
I heartily reccomend them!
snow report
Dogtag(Claire), your service really does sound very good, and I like the idea of the TAG but I've been put off Dogtag by the lack of clarity on what the off-piste cover is in Europe (the definition is clear in N American terms). Are you able to clarify this?
latest report
Also found dogtag very good. I always have trouble finding a company which covers skiing, diving without a guide to around 50m and multi-pitch climbing. Most companies cover only one or two of the three or impose limits such as 30m max or no multi -pitch climbing or no climbing / diving without a guide! You can often get a discount on rates if you are a member of BMC or a dive organisaton etc. Bumped into the manager of dogtag whilst I was with some mates at the diveshow and he got us all beers with no selling.
snow conditions
DogTag also cover Mountain biking which is what I'll be doing in 10 days time on real mountains Very Happy
snow report
Boredsurfing, but they consider rugby to be one of the most dangerous sports Puzzled
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, and what's wrong about that.... http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Schalk-Burger-Eye-Gouging-South-African-Rugby-Player-Banned-Over-British-Lions-Fitzgerald-Attack/Article/200906415322861?f=rss
latest report
anarchicsaltire,but there was no injury and thus no claim.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Boredsurfing, but they consider rugby to be one of the most dangerous sports Puzzled

Yep my worst injury has been from my rugby playing days and cost me 6 thousand pounds to put right!
snow report
Rugby injury statistics
latest report
So is skiing safer than rugby?
snow report
Boredsurfing, 6k is quite cheap for a brain implant wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, from what I have read, yes - though how that can be quantified is another matter.
ski holidays
I went DogTag annual policy with the Snowsports addition too this year - its still in effect. Hypothetically does it cover UK holidays in the summer too? For example, say you had a hotel booked for two weeks and had to cancel due to family illness, would the cover provided by any annual winter sports policy still kick in? Its not a real situation, just a hypothical question. Also, would the cover extend to cover other trips abroad in the area cover, not just for winter sports. N. B. I kind of expect the answers to be yes.
snow report
achilles, Lets do a quick survey:

How many serious injuries have you suffered in the past 10 years whist skiing?

How many serious injuries have you suffered in the past 10 years whist playing rugby?

wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Best call Claire at DogTag and ask those questions, no one on here is qualified to give an answer as only the company (and their underwriters) can give you a 100% correct answer.

Frosty the Snowman, Hampshire air ambulance is called to a rugby pitch at least once a weekend during the season. Football pitches probably twice a month, according to the weekend pilot Very Happy
Didn't someone on here come up with the statistic that skiing is safer than Ballroom dancing. I can safely say I have never been hurt ballroom dancing wink
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, The same up here, but often it is because pitches are not accessible to a road ambulance.

I skied one weekend at Les Deux Alpes and 24 broken ones were airlifted of the glacier.
snow report
Buddy of mine made a claim with Dogtag that took a year to resolve. He said they quibbled and their response times where poor. I've heard other people have had trouble too. I'm taking my business elsewhere.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

The same up here, but often it is because pitches are not accessible to a road ambulance

Shocked Toofy Grin
Wot no roads oop North Shocked

ee 'tis grimmer than they tell me wink
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, It is called scenerey, far better than a pitch where a high kick can bounce off the underneath of the M4 Toofy Grin
latest report
Frosty the Snowman,

or where you can play your golf ball off the armco on the M3

Toofy Grin
latest report
Boredsurfing, or the 303 wink
ski holidays
Megamum, read your policy. Mine (Direct Travel) does say that Uk trips are covered. It is an annual holiday insurance policy as well.
snow conditions
PJSki said,
Quote:
He said they quibbled and their response times where poor.

I had slightly less than perfect service with my claim -

1) they paid up OK, but took the Euro cost of my claim & applied a rubbish exchange rate so I ended up about £60 out of pocket - after several calls & submitting my credit-card statements they eventually stumped up the actual sterling amount it had cost me (less the £300 excess for the extreme cover).

2) The didn't return any documentation, even after a number of calls to do so - I had an annual policy so if I'd needed a second claim wouldn't have had the originals for the second claim.

One thing which hadn't occurred to me with the annual extreme cover :- for the rest of the year (eg summer hols low risk) I would still have been subject to the £300 excess so in retrospect it may have been better to take a standard annual policy, and done a separate 1 week extreme policy for the ski-mountaineering trip
latest report
pam w wrote:
Dogtag(Claire), your service really does sound very good, and I like the idea of the TAG but I've been put off Dogtag by the lack of clarity on what the off-piste cover is in Europe (the definition is clear in N American terms). Are you able to clarify this?

I'm with pam w on this, Dogtag's definition is as clear as mud.

Dogtag(Claire), if you can clarify this you'll get a lot more business as your cover appears excellent in all other respects. Of particular importance to me is that there is no requirement when off-piste to be with a guide or instructor. Worldwide cover is also important as I'm planning a trip to Japan next season Toofy Grin. I'm currently with Insurandgo & their cover is specific in these respects.
snow report
I talked to Dogtag on several occasions about this - but although everyone was pleasant and helpful, none of the people I spoke to were skiers, so they didn't understand my question, really. They promised to get back in touch after consulting underwriters, and one person on the phone suggested that anywhere "lift served" (ie where you could go up a lift, then ski downhill, rather than hiking up further) would be OK. However, that was just on the telephone and I'd want that in writing. They said anywhere where you were skiing against local advice would NOT be covered. For example if there was an avalanche risk warning. I pointed out that in Europe the level of avalanche risk was never nil - so essentially there was ALWAYS an avalanche risk warning on any off-piste skiing. They did seem stumped by this, and just reiterated the wording on the policy. So I went with the Ski Club policy, which was much clearer.
snow report
pam w, I didn't use Dogtag for much the same reasons. also, they didn't seem to be able to cover us for as many ski trips as Direct Travel did over the whole season. I don't think they offered unlimited trips either, only a maximum number of days. DT offer unlimited trips of up to 17 days, which suits us fine at the moment, although I may have to look at an alternative for New Year, as we may be here for 18 days.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy