Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much yoo wan forra dollaaaa??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've not posted a thread here before, so apologies if this has been done before (after a search I couldn't find much info so I thought I'd start this...)

I'm off to Banff in 10 days to sample the joys of Sunshine, Lake Louise & Kicking Horse. I'm obvioulsy quite looking forward to this little tour however, I've got no idea how much damage I will be able to do with my dollars.

Because we're going self catered I'm wondering what the cost of eating out and lunch on the mountain's going to be - I'm assuming I'm not going to have to sell my arms to buy omlette, chips and coke, as I would if I chose France this year?

Also, and more importantly, how much are beers?!

Any idea on this or tips on where to go/do/ski would be excellent!

Cheers
Ed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Teddy the Eagle, regardless of the menu price, remember to add tax and 15 - 20% tip (unless it's self service)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Teddy the Eagle, check out my trip report for Banff area from Feb 2008, lots of prices and other useful info there, just remember exchange rate is now about C$1.80 to the pound.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=992625
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pub style meals about $10-15, similar for a chinese. Beer $5 ish a (Canuckistani) pint (Not Banff specific knowledge however) You can eat cheapest in Banff at Old Spag factory and food court eateries in Cascade Plaza.

You'll end up doing most time at Sunshine & LL I guess. KH is well worth it on a powder day though if its a massive dump you run the risk your bus doesn't get down KH pass due to Avy control etc. If its not snowed for a while I wouldn't go to KH unless you simply need the variety unless you like top to bottom bumps.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are loads of threads on Banff. Pitcher anywhere from $10-$20 and remember to tip. Sunshine is my least favourite of the Big (Sunshine Lake Louise Norquay) and out of the 4 Kicking Horse is my most favourite despite the lift system being pretty dodgy. Depending on what you are into skiing Terminator Ridge is some of the best terrain about, the more you hike the better it gets. Fuse bowl is awesome and doesn't require a hike. If you get out the gondola track back underneath the gondola and drop down to the right hand side, this brings you out in the bottom of Terminator Bowl, follow the groomer past pride rock on your left hand side and hang a sharp right up the hill. There's a hut on the right and go in to the trees straight ahead-the glades are really awesome if you love tight trees. It gets clipped out after a while but if you stay right of the fall like then it throws you out on to a couple groomers to rip back to the gondy. In all fairness these are double black rated and above runs. Can't help you out much with anything else. Eat at the restaurant at the top of the gondy, great views and pretty good food. Extensive bar.

Most of the good skiing at Lake Louise is pretty obvious.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
luigi wrote:
Teddy the Eagle, check out my trip report for Banff area from Feb 2008, lots of prices and other useful info there, just remember exchange rate is now about C$1.80 to the pound.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=992625

Thanks Luigi, reading it now.

Cheers everyone else - and thanks for the directions Arv, I'll see if I can get an idea from a piste map before going out maybe.

Ed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
KH is well worth it on a powder day though if its a massive dump you run the risk your bus doesn't get down KH pass due to Avy control etc. If its not snowed for a while I wouldn't go to KH unless you simply need the variety unless you like top to bottom bumps.

Totally agree. Stayed there for two weeks around 4 seasons ago, and unless you get snow, don't bother making the trip, though it's a quick enough bus ride (for the distance) down the TransCan highway. Brilliant terrain, but needs the snow to make it worthwhile, and riding on the same two lifts all day gets a bit boring....................

Prices...............Banff's known (by the other "local" hills) to be expensive. Bannf: Banff, Ain't Nothin For Free........... as some of the locals say. My only experience was stopping for a rest on a transfer, and a halve cost me as much as a pint did, in Jasper.

Anyway, enjoy it. I'm out to Fernie tomorrow for two weeks. Think we could both do with some fresh snow.............

John.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy