Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Chamonix Wed 28th Jan

Poster: A snowHead
I know it's motorway all the way, but with the heavy snowfall that's forecast are driving conditions likely to be particularly difficult? I'm fine with light snow on the roads etc but just curious really. Will the motorways be cleared if it's really heavily covered?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most of the forecasts show the rain/snow level above 1000m. As such there should be no snow on the road until just before you get into Chamonix (1035m)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers. Makes things a lot easier!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hoop, even if it's snowing along the A40 from Geneva there shouldn't be any major problems - they'll plough it if necessary.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also the freeze level seems to be very high later in the week so should be no probs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hoop wrote:
I know it's motorway all the way, but with the heavy snowfall that's forecast are driving conditions likely to be particularly difficult? I'm fine with light snow on the roads etc but just curious really. Will the motorways be cleared if it's really heavily covered?

Cham is one of the best resorts in the alps to drive to in bad weather as the road in is not a switchback up the mountain. You would be unlucky to really struggle to get into resort. I'm sure Cham experts will correct me if I'm wrong but i think there are no legal requirements to have chains to get into Cham itself (with the first chain sign being on the way out upto Argentiere), having said that today you kind of needed either 4wheel drive or snow tyres or chains to get about early doors (certainly to get upto Les Tours).

Have a good time, I am flying back on Weds but driving back down myself on the 30th.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
midgetbiker wrote:
Hoop wrote:

Cham is one of the best resorts in the alps to drive to in bad weather as the road in is not a switchback up the mountain. You would be unlucky to really struggle to get into resort. I'm sure Cham experts will correct me if I'm wrong but i think there are no legal requirements to have chains to get into Cham itself (with the first chain sign being on the way out upto Argentiere), having said that today you kind of needed either 4wheel drive or snow tyres or chains to get about early doors (certainly to get upto Les Tours).

Have a good time, I am flying back on Weds but driving back down myself on the 30th.

Nice one. The hire car has got snow tyres, so unless we meet some REALLY bad conditions we should be OK. We'll be heading to Le Tour for the first day or two as I'm with beginners.

From what I've heard and read it doesn't look like I'm that likely to need chains.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi - you should be fine. I drove back from Chamonix to Geneva this evening (it has been dumping it down there for the last 48 hrs or so) and there was no problem. The motorway was very windy/rainy, but no more than you get over here. We didnt have snow chains anD it was fine at resort level, just a bit slushy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best info on local road conditions is here
http://www.chamonix.com/page.php?page=10&r=road_conditions&ling=en
Its kept right up to date.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob, thanks for that.

alex99, thanks also.

How about the road from Argentiere to Le Tour? I take it that's ok?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll be driving from the UK to Chamonix on Wednesday too. Looking forward to what looks like decent conditions.

I have no snow tyres but I do have a set of chains. I have no clue how to put them on though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bad_roo wrote:
I have no clue how to put them on though.

They're pretty easy when you've got the hang of them. Make sure you practice a few times before you go, the last place you want to learn is on a snowy mountain road...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Make sure you practice a few times before you go,

Too right. Leaving here early this morning, after a snowy night, the majority of the cars moving around had chains on (and in Megeve, where nobody on the main road had chains on, but people coming down side roads did, I saw some pompiers putting huge great chains on one of their 4x4 vehicles; goodness knows what they were having to do!). When the ploughs have only just started clearing there's still loads on the road, and the wet slushy stuff can be pretty slippery. I put chains on, and was glad of them, but sailed back up tonight with the snow tyres, with no problem. The signs on the A40 said the Col de Montets was closed and passable only up to Argentiere - I imagine it was a bit hairy up there first thing this morning.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Turn left when you get past geneva and go to a proper resort such as anywhere in Porte De Soleil - Chamonix is a dump and a pain in the back bottom to get about...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hoop wrote:
How about the road from Argentiere to Le Tour? I take it that's ok?

this can be the iffiest, I've seen it where any vehicle needs chains. Yesterday a Ford Explorer was struggling in front of me (but I reckon that was just the driving) but my hire Renault was fine.
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
Turn left when you get past geneva and go to a proper resort such as anywhere in Porte De Soleil - Chamonix is a dump and a pain in the back bottom to get about...

Hmmm...constructive rolling eyes
latest report
Hoop wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:

Hmmm...constructive rolling eyes

Hmmm...cobblers as well Mad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy