Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to resort when heavy snow forecast?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heading to Les Arcs on Saturday! CANNOT WAIT! Very Happy

There are 50cm forecast for Friday and another 20cm for Saturday. I'm going to assume that they keep the roads clear all the way up to Les Arcs 1800. I'm getting a transfer but I'm suddenly worried the roads might be closed or something...

I'm guessing this happens a good few times a season and with all the tour operators coming up from Chambery and Geneva they'd have to have the roads clear.

Anyone able to put my mind at rest? Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not Les Arcs but I've been up to Avoriaz in heavy snow. I'm not saying the roads are never closed but the resorts want them open and the coach drivers know what they're doing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When we went to ValT last year, it was snowing heavily. Instead of the 2 hours journey, it took over 7 hours. The roads weren't closed, but cars were getting stuck. Some cars not having snow chains on the tyres. The coach driver was superb. I'm sure they're more than used to bad weather conditions

Don't worry you'll get there! and enjoy your trip
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
anna_1104, don't worry, all that new snow is going to be fantastic (though you don't want to believe those numbers in the forecasts too literally!). On a busy, snowy, transfer day there are likely to be delays, as TracyG says, because the road gets snowy in between passes of the plough and there are always a few d**k heads without chains. Relax and enjoy the view - in a coach you will be able to look down on the peeps struggling with chains as you pass the lay-byes. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
get them to drop you at the bottom and get the funicular up
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
daehwons, arriving in Geneva at 2035, leaving the airport around 9 in a private transfer. Up to resort about 12 if we're lucky! Staying in Les Arcs 1800... don't think I'll chance the funicular somehow NehNeh

Thanks guys for all the positivity!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like all the big resorts there is a very efficient snow clearing system in place at Les Arcs. As soon as it starts snowing they will be out with snowploughs to keep everything as clear as they can. Occasionally roads can be closed, but more because of avalanche risk rather than being unable to keep keep the road clear of snow. This has happened once when I've been in Les Arcs, and only affected the road from Arc 1600 to Arc 1950/2000. The road was closed overnight, reopening as soon as the slopes could be blasted the following morning. Unfortunately this happened on a Saturday so there was a lot of people stuck down in the valley (including our own JimW IIRC), but this was exceptionally heavy snow. It was also nice for us already in resort as the slopes were empty Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very unusual for the roads to close and in any case the snow/rain limit for the forecast snow is pretty iffy, most likely will be raining up to resort level. Very mild in Sainte Foy (1550m) right now, although got some great snow last night (down for lunch and a very swift 5 minutes work, then back up! Little Angel )
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Main roads are kept open(ish)......... those who rely on moving around the alps for their livelyhood rarely get stuck.......... chain up, slow down and move continue on your way.... be slightly ironic if our world ground to a halt when it snowed!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
a tip from past expereince of waiting up to 6 hourss to get up the hill, dont drink much!! It will have to come out some time, and withlittle ones (and I mean kids), its a nightmare!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 19-01-09 14:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, puts it nicely. Remember that these places rely on getting punters on piste, so the roads will be open! Might take a bit longer but you'll get there. Have a great time. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
anna_1104, Looks as though it might be raining in the valley on 24th

I hope to be about 12 hours ahead of you after overnighting in Annecy snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy