Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt from Cervinia?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of skiing over into Zermatt from Cervinia. Any ideas on how long it takes to get to resort level in Zermatt from Plan Maison gondola (at a moderate pace!) and what time should you be thinking of heading back before becoming stranded?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kojak, At least 2 hours I would think. What do you want go down to the village for? Siteseeing? There are lots of (expensive) shops there but not a lot of other attractions during the day. Best restaurants for lunch are on the mountain.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
watch the weather, if it gets windy then the close the klein matterhorn cable car and so the route home is a couple of windy t-bars across the glacier which go on for ever and ever...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kojak, it's a lot quicker to go than to come back... I would say an hour going, 2 coming back, and make sure you know the forecast is settled before you go - you don't want to be stuck down there in the dark side any longer than is necessary
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Took kids over from Zermatt to Cervina and back last year(5 and 6) after their first week of skiing, took it slow and it took about 1 1/2 hours there and about 1 1/2 hours back. The cable car from Zermatt can have long wait (40 min) and should play it safe and start home 1 to 1 1/2 hours before lifts close.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Getting down to resort level could take a little longer though. Coming down from Kleine Matterhorn you either have to get the bus, walk or get across to Gornegrat to descend (by train ski, etc). The shops etc are still a walk away.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When coming back if there is a big queue for the Kleine Matterhorn cablecar at Trockener Steg the two long T bars can be quicker. Some people may not agree but I would be on a T Bar than in a queue!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did the same when we were on our own, with small kids cable preferred. Much better than stuffy pushy bundles!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replies. Was thinking of skiing the other side of Zermatt (looks like you have to go to resort level to do so), but sounds like it might be a bit of a push to do that & get back in time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kojak, All the areas of Zermatt are linked now. Getting from Klein Matterhorn across to Gornegrat can be done via Furi. A bit more time is required to get across to Sunnega but it can be done. You don't have to go down to town now for this.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree withColin B, dont go into town, just long skiroad slusshy at bottom, it takes a while as you will have to get bus. The linked areas work well and usually not too busy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all,

I've never skied the area can someone give me a run by run/lift by lift route from cervinia into zermatt for lunch at blaaten chez vrony or zel am see - something that suits intermediate and isn't too testing

would be very much appreciated!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
keevo3, Welcome to Snowheads. Chez Vrony is about as far from Cervinia as you can get. I think you would really struggle to get there and back and have time to do justice to the food which is excellent by reputation. I don't know of zel am see restaurant but if I were you I'd choose a restaurant near Furi (I believe there are some good ones there) as it is pretty easy to get to from Cervinia and also to return. Easy route down and you can even cheat and take the cable car. Wherever you choose book a table they get busy. List of mountain restaurants here. I'm not an expert on the restaurants I'm afraid I'm happy with something far simpler at lunchtime.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
keevo3, I think you might be talking about 'Zum See' restaurant, it's just under Furi. Very good choice and on the Klein Matterhorn side so easy to get to for you, also near the lifts back up!

Oh, and welcome snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kojak, do it at the first opportunity of your trip. You may find that you may be unable to do it because of weather if you wait to go on the last day. I've seen that happen a couple of times.
ski holidays
Waited until we skied all of the Italian side, then realised that most of the people in the gondolas & bubble chairs were now from Zermatt. Everyone said that the swiss side had become impossible to ski (badly iced pistes) and that it wasn't worth going over as the conditions in Cervinia were far better. Doing Zermatt at the start of the week would've been the better option but who knows what the weather will do?
Cervinia was great all week except one windy day, had a blast still & at least we had good snow every day all over the resort. Maybe next time.....
snow conditions
kojak, you didn't miss much wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy