Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trousers + ski edge = bad news

Poster: A snowHead
Getting stuff out and ready for my first trip of the season next week, I noticed a tiny (finger width) cut at the bottom of my trousers (TNF 'Hyvent' things if that makes a difference), presumably caused by falling in the same way I've managed to take some gouges out of one side of one of my boots Shocked

Does it make a difference (ie is it likely to grow?), and if so is there anything that can be done to patch/repair/stop it growing? It's really small and neat, so much so that I haven't noticed it before. The trousers in question are less than a year old too, hence why I'm a bit 'concerned' rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably won't grow unless you fiddle with it. The tech fabrics seem to have some sort of ripstop built in. Fix it with duck tape.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stick a patch on it and forget about it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Patch it if lazy, otherwise good old needle & thread.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There was a thread on this recently - try this link:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1124934#1124934

I bought some stuff called Tenacious Tape and repaired a couple of tears, but there are other suggestions on the thread.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hilarious. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Go on holiday and chill a bit - it might stop you being so anal.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
goretex patches (in camo)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
it might stop you being so anal.

Wanting to keep his gear in good nick is 'anal'? Are you absolutely sure you're not Mrs Whitegold? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not much point in Goretex patches... any old waterproof fabric will do. By the time it has glue on it, Goretex isn't very water permeable...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm normally a chilled kind of person, but...

Lizzard wrote:
Go on holiday and chill a bit - it might stop you being so anal.

When I've spent money on something, I don't really want it to disintegrate within a year or two. Seeing as I'm likely to fall in the exact same way, on the exact same bit of material with the exact same bit of ski edge a fair few more times I don't really want to end up with a massive shredded patch out of the leg just because I couldn't be arsed or 'wasn't anal enough' to repair it in the first place.

Thanks to everyone else for the constructive comments snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mark_s, Stitch them, but TBH when I noticed I had shredded my new ones after 1 day, I could not be bothered...

All the other pairs I have shredded I have sewn up. Nice bit of fine blanket stitch with a matching thread seems to work. Never managed to shred the same spot either, so don't panic Smile

It doesn't seem to have made a single cent/pennyworth of difference to the waterproofness, or cloth.

Don't worry about the appearance - lets face it, when have you EVER really looked at any other snowhead's trouser ends [or is that another fetish thread... Toofy Grin ]
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Duck tape.....makes you look like a gnarly pro.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MarjMJ, I tend to fall on the same bit all the time (happens in the park a lot when you're still learning something new), which is why I was worried about it getting worse without attention.

Cheers everyone Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Superglue can stop it running or else you can get Goretex patches that you iron on. There is also a self adhesive tape you can buy that is designed for sails, tents etc that would do the job.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vetski, mark_s, everyone with trousers has 'finger width' cuts in them at the bottom. Get a life! Laughing
snow report
My trousers are trashed. At the end of each day's skiing the bottom or the legs are filled up with snow because it's just the outer layer that's ripped. Think I'll invest in some gaffer-tape
latest report
mark_s, top tip if you're repairing with Tenacious Tape or any other clear glue/tape - use a matching marker or felt-tip pen to colour in the edges of the tear before you seal it. I now have to look very hard to spot the 3 inch edge slash I managed to achieve. Which is good - they're the nicest ski pants I've ever had! Also, when I ripped mine, the tear went through to the lining - so I enlarged the lining tear and inserted the tape to seal the rip from the inside. Then I taped the tear in the lining. If that makes me anal, so be it. It beats mistaking acidity for wit...
snow conditions
vetski, I was coming to this thread to suggest exactly the same thing - by the sounds of it if the tear is still relatively fresh and un-frayed I would imagine tape used from the inside would make a repair almost invisible. I would certainly be having a bash at sealing any tear before it got worse no matter how small.
snow report
And I'll second the dab of superglue at the edges. Rather than the standard tape... go for black Super Duck and cut the patches in a roundish shape... lasts a few years.
ski holidays
mark_s wrote:
I tend to fall on the same bit all the time (happens in the park a lot when you're still learning something new), which is why I was worried about it getting worse without attention.
Detune your edges... (ski powder not pipes... Shocked ) problem solved... wink

I would argue these are good, constructive, if slightly unorthodox suggestions. Though are probably not quite what you were after.
ski holidays
skisimon, Laughing
latest report
skisimon wrote:
mark_s wrote:
I tend to fall on the same bit all the time (happens in the park a lot when you're still learning something new), which is why I was worried about it getting worse without attention.
Detune your edges... (ski powder not pipes... Shocked ) problem solved... wink

I would argue these are good, constructive, if slightly unorthodox suggestions. Though are probably not quite what you were after.
I think a better solution is to stop falling over.
ski holidays
Is there a recession in the UK or something? Most people would throw them away and buy new ones! Gorden Brown would insist you do.
snow report
I always take it as a sign that my edges are not sharp enough unless my trousers look like they've done 2 rounds with Kreuger (F). Razz
latest report
Shocked Jesus. Goretex patch purchased, and while taking a look at the bit to patch I glanced at the other leg and there are about 3-4 cuts in it, including a huuuge gash in one bit. How I missed it before now I haven't a clue!
snow conditions
Last year I saw a chap with small rubber panels, about 6" x 6" on the inside lower leg. I think they were Degre7 stretch? I've got some thin ribbed textile-backed rubber sheeting that I use when working under the Landy and was toying with fixing this to my treasured but battered salopettes, but what adhesive Puzzled
snow conditions
NoDosh, on the thread I linked to above, several snowHeads mention some stuff called Seam Sealer, which appears to be an adhesive suitable for ski pants and tents (never tried it myself) - but I have no idea if it would work with the textile backing of your rubber stuff.
snow report
mark_s wrote:
Shocked Jesus. Goretex patch purchased, and while taking a look at the bit to patch I glanced at the other leg and there are about 3-4 cuts in it, including a huuuge gash in one bit. How I missed it before now I haven't a clue!

because it happens all the time, but unless the cuts are very large, they aren't really obvious until you specifically look for them.

I'm largely with Lizzard on this, although I wouldn't have put it quite the way she did. It really isn't worth bothering about. The cuts don't seem to fray or grow IME, you just get a few more of them.

If you bother enough to deal with a single one, you will be patching your ski trousers at the end of most days on the slopes.

And while you think you fall in the same spot regularly, I think you will find that actually means a few cm separateion between cuts, rather than exactly on top of each other (usually).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:

If you bother enough to deal with a single one, you will be patching your ski trousers at the end of most days on the slopes.

If that were true my pants would now have at least 90 cuts in them. But they have maybe 5 or 6, which I'm now thinking of patching.
snow report
alex_heney, exactly. I was worried that with a few cuts close together, they might decide to join forces and make a hole. Or with some slight provocation (accidentally catching them on something), they might decide to join forces and make a hole.
ski holidays
vetski wrote:
NoDosh, on the thread I linked to above, several snowHeads mention some stuff called Seam Sealer, which appears to be an adhesive suitable for ski pants and tents (never tried it myself) - but I have no idea if it would work with the textile backing of your rubber stuff.

Thanks Vetski, I'll give that a try Very Happy
ski holidays
Ah they'll be fine: as long as they're not some cheap crap like d2b wink
ski holidays
Nononononono! Mine are Degre7 goretex, just not the stretch ones. Think I'll go with the patches for this holiday and depending on how they hold up will look at the rubber alternative

Shocked

Ok, that looks bad..... Laughing
ski holidays
Go to any quality mountaineering shop (to get some idea) and have a look at their winter mountaineering salopettes/overtrousers. The lower inner 12 inches of each leg is reinforced with a stong fabric to help reduce the damage that occurs when wearing crampons. Armed with this knowledge get a tailor to sew some like patches on your ski trousers. Or just use gaffer tape. Or the lazy alternative, tell everybody it's the latest "2009 through venting system by gortex" and be the envy of the slopes, bars and mountain restaurants.

Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy