Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'huez-piste closure/heavy snow

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

i am going to ADH on the 22nd jan and the forecast is for heavy snow all weekend.

Does anyone have experience with this resort, having been there when it has been snowing heavily? If so could you please let me know what this resort is like at keeping their pistes open.

I desperatly want to ski/board everyday in some powder, so any suggestions as to what to do in these conditions would be apprieciated ie- where to head to, get a guide to get off piste, go to another resort (Serre Chevalier perhaps). Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
greggy500, if it is snowing heavily, getting to Serre Chevalier may be more of a problem to you than staying in Alpe D'Huez. There is a high mountain pass (Col du Lauteret) to travel across, and this will close if it is windy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been there twice and both times it snowed about a foot, I don't remember them closing anything.

I was a lot less experienced at the time though, so maybe they closed some of the steeper, more avalanchey stuff.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have read somewhere that if snowing heavily Oz and Vaujany is better areas to ski than ADH slopes. Maybe try going over there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, thats perked me up. It is forecast for more than a foot, more like 2ft + but that does sound encouraging.

So i shouldnt have to get to SC. But do you know if would need chains driving from Grenoble to Vaujany?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers liz, i am staying in Vaujany!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My sister was there (Vaujany) last year and loved the place. Also had heavy winds and snow( 7-14 March 2008) but could ski most slopes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
greggy500, went last Easter when there was a lot of snow almost every day. They frequently shut the top lifts to the glacier and some of the blacks from the second-highest stations were shut due to avi danger and lack of pisting. Other than that everything was kept open with great pisting.

When there's lots of snow there's loads of great powder skiing to be had. One bowl I kept on having numerous laps down due to the lack of people on it and the speed of uplift back up from Signal down to Villard, between the black "La Foret" and the "Villard" red run. Combe Charbonniere and La Balme were also great fun immediately they were reopened, although they got tracked fairly quickly.

I'm sure Arno will be along to suggest other good runs and potential for guiding.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
playing around in the trees above Vaujany is a fun way of filling a snowy day - it's a bit "mini golf" in that it's about picking lines and poking around to find fun shots, drops etc rather than big long off piste routes.

away from Vaujany, off the Signal down towards Villard Reculas is pretty good fun with a few trees to provide definition. going under the chairlift is probably the best line unless you are very happy with your direction finding and avalanche awareness

hiring a guide in ADH on a bad weather day is probably a bit of a waste of money. when the weather clears, definitely get one and you will have a lot of fun. alternatively, an off piste lesson with Vaujany ESF is pretty good value. you get 2 hours and you can get a surprising amount done off the Dome des Rousses
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All is looking better, pheew. Cheers guys. I suppose the thing i will be most disappointed about is the possible closure of the top mountain. I really want to do the tunnel + sarrene and all the high stuff.

This is the largest resort i have been to and want to get the most out of it. I wanted to do some off pisteing for the first time this trip and what you said Arno sounds very interesting, could you give me some more info on off piste lessons. Thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
greggy500, I was there last week and the snow will be welcome.

Sarrene was closed due to the rocks but we did a off piste route with a ESF instructor which allowed us to do the run.

The tunnel was fine last week but instead of the initial drop they had fenced of a traverse in an attempt to spread out the start position but it was a hinderence rather than helping anyone, I only went half way down then traversed for some more off piste down to Alpetite.

In the past the top lifts have closed following heavy snow for blasting which can go on for a couple of days, the main bowl ( greens) will be open as it has a limited risk and you can track all the fresh off some of the runs, they will gradually open more up as they finish blasting.

I guess all the links will open up first including the runs to auries, Vaujany and Villard Reculas etc allowing for plenty of scope to play. Have fun Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
greggy500, have a surf around on here:

http://www.esf-vaujany.com/gb/esfvaujany.htm

they had an english girl working in the office last time i dealt with them so you may not need to test out your language skills. just drop them an email. you might well be able to arrange it when you get there though because it shouldn't be too busy that week

the high stuff is most likely to close in bad weather and it really wouldn't be much fun in bad visibility
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sacre bleu Arno! What do you mean about my language skills? Auf wiedersien.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
greggy500 wrote:
Hi,

i am going to ADH on the 22nd jan and the forecast is for heavy snow all weekend.

There was a bit of snow yesterday and there may be 15-20cm tonight. There may be heavy snow from Thursday with strong westerly winds which will close the cable car to the summit but rain is also forecast to 2400 meters.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was there about 5 years ago when it snowed really heavilly (anout 60-90 cm overnight) and almost nothing above the town and not much below was open - spent the day in the bar. Next day was a bit better and the day after that more or less normal.
snow report
greggy500 wrote:
If so could you please let me know what this resort is like at keeping their pistes open.

Any resort that closes pistes after heavy snowfall will be doing it for good reason.

Please excuse me saying this, but if you "want to ski/board everyday in some powder" regardless of the avalanche risk then really need to stick to the pistes until you get some avalanche training.
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni, i didnt mean skiing regardless of risks, (i am not competent enough to look after myself in that situation). I will be disappointed to have to sit in a bar all day! I understand that with heavy snowfalls the pistes will be closed for saftey reasons, but that wont stop me from being disappointed as i am only there for the weekend and i wont be back in the mountains until next year!! Sad
ski holidays
The big issue with Alpe d'Huez in very heavy snowfall is finding gradient. The main bowl is, as its name suggests, very mellow at the bottom. If the upper runs are closed due to avalanche control, high winds or poor visibility, you'll need to either play on some of the steeper aspects on Signal/ Signal de l'Homme or head down to Oz in order to find slopes that won't have you poling along in knee deep snow.
snow report
If there is loads of snow, how likely is it that they'll close the road to the resort? My OH is driving up there on Saturday and is a bit worried he might not be able to get there. He'll have snow chains etc.
latest report
If the forecast is anything to go by Saturday should be fine as it should only start snowing on Saturday and more overnight. Of course forecasts are not always accurate.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Alpe-d-Huez/6day/bot
ski holidays
Picadilly wrote:
If there is loads of snow, how likely is it that they'll close the road to the resort? My OH is driving up there on Saturday and is a bit worried he might not be able to get there. He'll have snow chains etc.

Pretty unlikely. They are normally very efficient at clearing the road up to ADH.
ski holidays
Just incase i cant get chains from the airport (or if they charge silly money, Europcar) does any body know if i can pick some up on thje way to ADH?
latest report
you will go past a couple of hypermarches which will probably sort you out - there's a super U just as you go round the Grenoble ring road for example
snow report
Anyone going there this week should think themslves very lucky indeed! LOADS OF SNOW
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy