Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milkyway or 3 valleys

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A question for the well seasoned travelers.

I have been skieng for the last 7 years but as part of a large party have always ended up in Andorra or Bulgaria for cost reasons. This year there are only two of us going aged 28 and 48 and im looking for somewhere different as a last minute deal for after half term week in Feb.

Were both intermediate skiers liking blues, reds and some easy blacks, we also like a gallon of beer in an early evening, not too fussed about night clubs, just good bars with good atmosphere early evening where we can hopefully make a few friends so we dont get too bored with each others company.

Im looking at somewhere on the milky way or the three valleys. My question is which resorts do people think will offer a good lift system, good apre ski, but are not too pricey for the beer. I have a budget of about 5/6oo in mind as a last minute deal for the whole package, I would go a bit higher though for something special.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dunno about the night life but the Milky Way isn't as well linked as 3 valleys.

Was in Sauze D'oulx two years ago and was not impressed tbh. Was in Val Thorens last year and I really enjoyed it! Good for intermediates. 3 Valleys won't be as cheap as the Milky Way but I think it'd be worth the extra few bob.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Montgenevre is a possiblity at the French end of the Milky Way.

It isn't one of the most expensive ski resorts. Its definitly much cheaper than the 3 Valleys.

The nightlife is limited, but the main bar has a nice atmosphere. It can be quiet though.

The skiing is just as you described, with lots of blues, reds and easy blacks. Modern lift system. Good skiing into Italy for lunch etc.

http://www.montgenevre.com/accueil.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would really recomend the 3 valleys, the lift system is as good as anywhere in the world and the variety is immense. My friend skis in claviere which is in the milky way and says that the variety and lift system there are nothing compared to the 3 valleys.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many would argue, and I would be one of them, that 3V is the best piste skiing in Europe. Your 4.56 litres of beer will not be cheap though! After Bulgaria, you will think you have died and gone to heaven.

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris, your right there, I will put Bulgaria/Bansko in the Good potential, must try harder category. Though £2.12 for 4 pints of beer and a glass of wine made up for some of the short comings! Looks like the 3V has the winning vote so far, I know andorra has its critics but I think it has a fantastic lift system and dont really want to be messing around with drag lifts and 2 man chairs which are still to be found on the milky way from what I have read about Sauze D'oulx .

As a group you can have fun anywhere, with just two of us the skieng needs to do the talking this year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if you go to 3 valleys solo, off peak-ish it can be done for €600, for transfer, flight, apartment, skis and liftpass. Went this time last year. I booked my apartment here: www.homelidays.com. We squeezed 6 people into a 2 bed apartment though. A studio could be as little as €350 for the week but I dunno... Good luck anyway!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I think the three valleys will knock Milky Way into a cocked hat for skiing / lift access / amount of challenging piste however I don't think the beer will be too cheap this year.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not going to try and compare them as they are two very different ski areas. the milky way is more spread out over a few different connected valleys with one or two valleys within each individual area. It's probably harder to cover as much of the area on your skis as they are more or less laid out in a long line, rather than being in one big area as with the 3 valleys. However, the skiing will easily offer you what you're looking for and the lift system is mostly up to date with modern high speed chairs in most areas. There's plenty of bars for your alcohol consumption and the food on offer, both in resort and up on the hill, is better and cheaper than the average french mountain cafe offers.

Culturaly, it's just different. Even going from Montgenevre to Claviere and beyond, you will notice this. So far this season, it's the most snow they've had for 30years as well.

Why don't you do one this year, and the other next year and report back.

So, i'm going to stick up for the vialattea (milkyway). Great skiing, great food, plenty of drink and a fair bit cheaper than the 3 valleys.

ps. just to throw another resort in there, what about serre chevalier?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dtsufc, 3 Valleys. Could do it cheaper if you go to Brides Les Bains [but someone else would need to tell you about the nightlife].

Would also agree about Serre Che suggestion. Great big area, lots of nice reds and blues and a few blacks, nice villages but not mad on nightlife. Villeneuve a good place to start.

My recollections of Sauze was ok was a place to drink but not the most snowsure and not the best linked with some pretty yucky lifts, but that was several years ago.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from Milky Way. Have skied 3V often before. Have to say Milky way sounds to be perfect for you - Sansicario has wonderful reds and blacks, snow is currently excellent. I didn't come across any really challenging pistes but had a perfect holiday enjoying fantastic conditions. We stayed in Sestriere - very easy links to all areas.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy