Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Car Hire - Holiday Autos - Courtesy Bus CHARGES!!

Poster: A snowHead
Went to Chamonix for 4 days last week, Booked the car through Holiday Autos (using the 'usual' discount). As the car I booked was unavailable I was swapped to a bigger car with Alamo (£40 extra but that was fine as a third person had joined the trip). Trip including car hire all went seamlessly, so long as you don't count check in hall hell at Geneva on Saturday morning. BUT here's the rub - we have now received an invoice in the post for using the courtesy bus from the car hire desks to the car hire car park!!!! The invoice is only 8CHF (direct off the drivers credit card given as a deposit) but all the same a massive cheek imho.

Lastminute.com (holiday autos) are flabbergasted and promise to sort it, so watch this space.

I'm back in Geneva tomorrow. This time the car is with Budget, but I won't be taking the bus, and that's another thing - as you can walk (as I intend to) and as no one takes names as you get on the bus, then how do Alamo even know we rode it last week?

All smacks of a money making 'scam'. Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
midgetbiker, I can't believe this, it's crazy Shocked
We were there last week and hired through Holiday Autos from Sixt. We didn't use the bus because it seemed easier to walk as it's not far, you don't have to wait and you don't have to load and unload your stuff an extra time. In fact the Sixt lady suggested we were better off walking.
I will watch our statement to look for extra charges. Thanks for the warning. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
midgetbiker, I think you've really got to watch Holiday Autos. Last year when I hired my credit card showed a price £35 than that on the email confirmation and that was before I travelled. I emailed them to complain, instant refund but no explanation or apology
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
midgetbiker, I think you've really got to watch Holiday Autos. Last year when I hired my credit card showed a price £35 than that on the email confirmation and that was before I travelled. I emailed them to complain, instant refund but no explanation or apology

Had a similar problem last season booked on the internet using 'the usual' discount, right up to the last confirmation screen it showed the 85% price but once my credit card details were in then it said it had charged me the 100% price. It took a lot of phone calls and PDF emails of screen prints to get them to refund the money (they kept offering to split the difference but I told them to b***ocks).

In fairness though this is Alamo, the invoice is from them and HA seem genuinely shocked & a bit angry as they have checked their agreement with Alamo and it says nothing about any potential charge.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The car hire desks at Geneva have now been moved from the arrivals hall.
On entering the hall turn right and walk to the far end where an extension has been built fo the car hire desks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, How far then to the cars?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing wrote:
The car hire desks at Geneva have now been moved from the arrivals hall.
On entering the hall turn right and walk to the far end where an extension has been built fo the car hire desks.

It's the bus that takes you from the new desk location (round the corner) to the parking garage for all the hire car compnies that we're being charged for.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller wrote:

a few hndred yards (if that), though the bus goes a little further as it has to go round the airport one way to get to the road.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, It's a 5 min walk.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
midgetbiker, In Dec we hired via HA and it was an Alamo car. No charge was made. I must go and check my CC statement again though!

In all the years ive hired cars, ive never heared of a fee for a courtesy bus. It must be a mistake. I expect HA will sort it out.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller wrote:

Dunno I got on the courtesy bus Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Turn right out of the double doors after the car hire desks and walk to the right, follow the footpath/cycle path markings on th pavement, up a slight hill, pass the coaches parked on the right and the hire cars are parked in the second multi sorey on the left, think it is P51 Puzzled Cross the road at the traffic lights crossing, go down in the lift to level 1 and the car hire places are all down here. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

Dunno I got on the courtesy bus Toofy Grin

At your age that is understandable Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BMF_Skier wrote:
It must be a mistake. I expect HA will sort it out.

I'm hoping they will too, but as I'll be there anyway tomorrow to pick up my Budget car then I think a copy invoice and a good rant at Alamo is in order Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
midgetbiker wrote:
BMF_Skier wrote:
It must be a mistake. I expect HA will sort it out.

I'm hoping they will too, but as I'll be there anyway tomorrow to pick up my Budget car then I think a copy invoice and a good rant at Alamo is in order Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
At the very least you want an explanation and, if not an agreement to refund, the name of someomeone i n charge at the Alamo desk.
ski holidays
WE hired from GVA swiss side last October - used the courtesy bus - no charge
snow report
if they're going to charge, they can't call it a courtesy bus. Rude charge bus, more like. the walk sounds nothing like the hike it used to be to get to the easyrentacar place. Disconsolate families with four trolleys and three toddlers, trundling along forever.
latest report
If the car (grade) you hired wasn't available sureley you shouldn't have been charged for the next available grade higher?
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
If the car (grade) you hired wasn't available sureley you shouldn't have been charged for the next available grade higher?
Good spot. It should have been an FOC.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:

This change was conveyed to us well in advance and the order at that point had not been confirmed it was only on request (as can sometimes happen for 48hrs). Basically it was "Budget has no cars, but we can move you to Alamo for another £40, do you want to do that or cancel the order", but a lot less blunt. I actually have no complaints on this score at all, it was all handled quickly and efficiently and it did say when I booked on the site that the car needed to be confirmed.

Actually as I say I have no complaints with HA at all (though that may change if they don't sort this) it's Alamo who are taking the p**s. Mad
snow conditions
midgetbiker, OK fair do's, thought it was changed when you went to pick it up.

Have used HA several times and never had a problem. Hope you get satisfaction.
ski holidays
Its stuff like this that finally persuaded me to drive from the UK.Hired cars many times,but never actually picked up any extra charges...but came damn close several times.Extra for this and that,and always contrary to the actual confirmation I originally received.Twice I received damage letters,with scary figures on them Shocked Fortunately I was able to prove the damage was to another car,not the one I'd hired.BUT,they had my CC swipe,and fully intended to use it!I figured I'd had my share of good fortune,so decided to self drive.I would hire again if needed but,for me,it would be a nervous process Sad
latest report
Returned cars several times with scratches on (no dents or obvious breakages), guys at car return have just recorded mileage and taken keys - job done. They can't charge you for damage unless they point it out at the time of return. Similarly if there is damage when you pick the car up and don't report it then you lay yourself open to extra charges.
latest report
halfhand wrote:
They can't charge you for damage unless they point it out at the time of return.

Really Puzzled That pre-supposes that there is actually someone at the return point to check.Only happened to me once,and then he was solely interested in getting me gone,and parking the car up.Every other occasion...keys in the box on the wall(as instructed on collection)Think you may find the most checks(fuel,damage)are done post your departure.At busy times,there is no way they could thoroughly check each vehicle as it returns...so they dont.
Have just checked a SIXT contract I still have.It specifically says the vehicle will be inspected 'after' its return,not 'on'. A subtle wordage,and the reason they take an open CC swipe.Having been there,its not easy arguing your case from here,when they are over there.Hence,I always took photo's...as advised by a mate who hires out cars for a living wink
ski holidays
snowskisnow and others. I rather obsessionally take photos all round the car and of any scratches before I drive away, and then take a similar set on drop-off. I haven't had to use them yet, but with nonboday to check you at drop-off, how else are you going to prove that it was fine when you left it. Digital cameras - a real boon for things like this.
ski holidays
Nick L wrote:
with nonboday to check you at drop-off, how else are you going to prove that it was fine when you left it.

You cant....so very relieved I had photo's Very Happy I am in no doubt,had I not been able to prove my innocence,I would have faced a whacking damage charge.....which Sixt made clear they would pursue Mad
ski holidays
I have damaged cars twice with Sixt, once returned to Venice, once Geneva. On both occasions I filled in damage reports and that was that - I never had to pay anything. I always book now direct with Sixt Holiday Cars - they are sometimes a few quid dearer but if anything goes wrong they are great to deal with. They have also never charged me for snowchains at Geneva - I just tell them I thought they were included and they always say
"Ok fine".
latest report
snowskisnow, you're right.... I always wait for the geezer where possible and get the signed doc saying it's all been returned AOK. To leave it in the airport and drop off the keys is fraught with risk - those spaces are tight and if joe-soap turns up 5 mins later and dings you and then then your car gets inspected 10 mins later... you get the picture peeps right?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
midgetbiker wrote:
Went to Chamonix for 4 days last week, Booked the car through Holiday Autos (using the 'usual' discount). As the car I booked was unavailable I was swapped to a bigger car with Alamo (£40 extra but that was fine as a third person had joined the trip). Trip including car hire all went seamlessly, so long as you don't count check in hall hell at Geneva on Saturday morning. BUT here's the rub - we have now received an invoice in the post for using the courtesy bus from the car hire desks to the car hire car park!!!! The invoice is only 8CHF (direct off the drivers credit card given as a deposit) but all the same a massive cheek imho.

Lastminute.com (holiday autos) are flabbergasted and promise to sort it, so watch this space.

I'm back in Geneva tomorrow. This time the car is with Budget, but I won't be taking the bus, and that's another thing - as you can walk (as I intend to) and as no one takes names as you get on the bus, then how do Alamo even know we rode it last week?

All smacks of a money making 'scam'. Any thoughts?

Update - just got an email from HA saying they are crediting our card with the money taken by Alamo (no explanation though).
Also when I picked up my Budget car at Geneva on Saturday just gone I asked the desk chap if I would be charged for the bus. He said “it should cost €8 each way but I don’t agree with it so I wont charge you”. I walked anyway as with only hand luggage it’s easier.
Go figure!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy