Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airport Facilities/policies etc.

Poster: A snowHead
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@ThreeBlades, Boots are.fine on BA. I've done that loads.of times.

I've also had tools taken from me. Hex (Allen) keys. I suggested to them the tools really means big spanners etc and not something smaller and blunter than the pen in my pocket. No joy.

So I have experience of both scenarios.

But you can carry a nice big umbrella snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sugarmoma666, only really an issue if the passenger is John Steed or a Bulgarian.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ster, Or Mary Poppins?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the encouraging news about boots at geneva.
My wariness comes as I also have had bike spanners taken off me before. I am sure that I could do a lot more damage with a broken duty free bottle !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ThreeBlades wrote:
Hi. What is the view of boots as hand baggage through Geneva ? (sorry but could not get the link in findtransfers.com to work). Their size and weight limitations are the same as BA but they say that "blunt objects of work tools and sports gear," are prohibited. https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/Preparation-voyage/Enregistrement-Bagages/Bagages-cabine
Thanks

The "In order to ensure smooth passage through security, please present the following items separately" of that link is a bit out of date. If you go through the shiny new security lanes at Geneva (turn immediately right as you go into security), you can get shouted at for delaying things by starting taking things out of your bag and presenting them separately Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always take the view that you should carry as little as possible through the airport, so always offer my hand luggage to be checked it.

I stick a small backpack (laptop, cameras etc) in the top of my hand luggage, and just take it out if they accept.

Usually no problems with BA, but might be with some other airlines.

At Geneva in December, I couldn't because the flight wasn't full, so plenty of locker space. Just shifted a few bulky items into my ski bag before dropping it off.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Butterfly wrote:
GENEVA - car hire
(From other posts in another thread)

The car hire desks at Geneva have now been moved from the arrivals hall.
On entering the hall turn right and walk to the far end where an extension has been built fo the car hire desks.

To find the cars it's a 5 minute walk:
Turn right out of the double doors after the car hire desks and walk to the right, follow the footpath/cycle path markings on th pavement, up a slight hill, pass the coaches parked on the right and the hire cars are parked in the second multi sorey on the left, think it is P51. Cross the road at the traffic lights crossing, go down in the lift to level 1 and the car hire places are all down here.

NB: It seems that there may be a charge (CHF 8.) to use the car hire courtesy bus, charged to the driver's credit card.

GENEVA - time to kill

If you have more than a couple of hours to kill the city is easily accessible. The railway station is at the far right hand end (if you have your back to the doors to the outside) of the ground floor level. There are left luggage lockers there and a left luggage office where you can leave skis. All trains go to the city & they're frequent. The journey is under 10 mins. On arrival come out of the station the side where the very wide street is, cross that and head straight away from the station and 10 mins walk takes you to the lake.

+1 I've done that, we had breakfast in Geneva before flight. Very civilised.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK this is a query about summer travel rather that winter but airports never change (well not the major ones anyway)

We are off to the Dolomites and flying for the first time for years. For various reasons we have discounted flying to Innsbruck and ever since Monarch went bust there are no direct flight to Venice so we are faced with changing somewhere.

I've changed at Frankfurt in the past and it has been a nightmare with luggage not making it and on one occaison missing a transfer. So we are looking at changing in Munich. What what experience do people have of changing planes in Munich. What is it like? I feel Franfurt and CdG are just too big and the plane spends half an hour or so taxing and hence the transfer is difficult.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE, where abouts in the UK are you? -- I believe Ryanair fly from Manchester to Treviso..

have you thought of flying to Verona ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Munich has Weissbier on draft, which is all you need to know. I've not changed planes in MUC, but I've used FRA and CDG for that a lot, and both are on my "avoid if possible" list, Frankfurt being in my least liked airports.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@albob, Birmingham. We have to allow at least 2 hours to get to Manchester and yes we did look at Verona, Treviso and even Bergarmo, and flying from Luton or East Midlands but they are all more hassle than changing planes.

We will, of course have to go through passport control in Germany - what are the queues like?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Frankfurt being in my least liked airports.

+1
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig wrote:
Munich has Weissbier on draft, which is all you need to know.

It actually has its own brewery!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Munich has 2 terminals a short walk from each other. I haven't transited but it's a civilised place and pretty easy to get through/around
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Be warned that the oversized bag drop is now at the opposite end of Venice Marco Polo from the BA check-in desks. That is a VERY long walk, the entire length of the terminal building.
latest report
I flew to the US for Xmas and bought a very expensive bottle of malt to share with my brother. I knew I’d see my bags at the connection so was going to stash it in there before I went back through security. We were late and as I was in business they thought they were doing me a favour by rushing me through but in that they just transited my bags ! So I was spat out on the wrong side of security in LA with a bottle of whisky. I had time so I went outside and started to drink it ! I was doing quite well when a car dropped someone off which had a saltire flag in the window so some poor guy from Kilmarnock who lived there had a bottle of partially drunk whisky thrusted upon him, he was delighted. I was just spannered !
snow conditions
Any Brits going though Geneva passport control experiencing long delays still?
snow conditions
GENEVA Plans

Arrivals, car rental & train station:

Walking from car rental desks to P51

Getting out of P51 onto the autoroute towards Lausanne (for 4 Vallées etc.)

The instructions are for getting to La Tzoumaz. For Verbier, you DO follow Gt.St.Bernard directions at Martigny [9], then come off at Le Châble and up to Verbier.
snow conditions
Just a note that the walk to the car park is often quicker than getting the bus and will take less than 10 mins.

But - there is a longer route where it is easier to push a luggage trolley. Cross the road (facing gar airport), turn left and walk along until you come to the crossing next to P51. Cross the road, then take the lift down to the hire car level.

The route shown above is quicker but also a bit of a pain with lots of luggage.
snow report
@zikomo, +1 I think the route you're describing is the next road up (looking at the picture) from the current yellow line.

It's flatter, trolley-able, and IMO is much safer with kids than the yellow line - I think the lack of road crossings actually makes it a little quicker. It's very similar length (maybe 20m longer?!) and it's probably shorter if you're collecting an Avis car from that side of the car park.

It's signed to Terminal 2, but you go slightly past T2 and then cross the road at a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights.
ski holidays
@snowdave, Correct, it is the next road up as you look at the yellow line in @LaForet, very helpful picture map. And yes you can follow signs to T2 then go past it to the next crossing as you suggest. I take the yellow line route ion on my own and not much kit (I have stuff staged in the alps). I take the alternative when with the family and have luggage/skis.
snow conditions
A heads up - if you fly Jet 2 to GVA you arrive in terminal 2 directly opposite the rental car pickups.

We walked downhill to main terminal to do the car paperwork but then got shuttle to P51 as it’s uphill - however we then had to go into the office (Alamo) in P51 to get the keys, and people were definitely booking cars there so I reckon we probably could have crossed the road and gone straight to the office in the car park (anyone know?)

On the way home we returned the car and walked under an underpass to get back to T2 and that’s when the fun begins.

There is nothing there (well, one tiny coffee booth) and you queue to check in with Jet 2 - then go through security with just two scanners where they search your hand luggage and then scan it, then you go through passport control - you then go to a waiting area for a bus to the main terminal (every 10 mins) which snakes round the airport for ages and eventually stops at the far far end from the restaurants - so you walk miles to get a snack and then you walk all the way back to the gates to get back on a bus - yup, you guessed it, to snake all the way back to T2 for the plane. If you like touring airports stood up on a packed bus this is your dream Laughing
latest report
A heads up - if you fly Jet 2 to GVA you arrive in terminal 2 directly opposite the rental car pickups.

We walked downhill to main terminal to do the car paperwork but then got shuttle to P51 as it’s uphill - however we then had to go into the office (Alamo) in P51 to get the keys, and people were definitely booking cars there so I reckon we probably could have crossed the road and gone straight to the office in the car park (anyone know?)

On the way home we returned the car and walked under an underpass to get back to T2 and that’s when the fun begins.

There is nothing there (well, one tiny coffee booth) and you queue to check in with Jet 2 - then go through security with just two scanners where they search your hand luggage and then scan it, then you go through passport control - you then go to a waiting area for a bus to the main terminal (every 10 mins) which snakes round the airport for ages and eventually stops at the far far end from the restaurants - so you walk miles to get a snack and then you walk all the way back to the gates to get back on a bus - yup, you guessed it, to snake all the way back to T2 for the plane. If you like touring airports stood up on a packed bus this is your dream Laughing
snow report
Was just asked to test out the new security scanners at Birmingham. Very quick and easy - though there were a lot of staff around learning and trying things.

There not allowing/testing over 100ml yet - apparently there is a small issue with that they're working on. But it was nice not having to unpack everything.

Main old school scanners are still in operation too, they seemed to just be nabbing a few people on occasion arriving from the train station shuttle. In a very separate section - you do end up with a long walk back over and past (separate fence off route) beside the main security area.

But looking like it's well on track for the summer! Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy