Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can technology help protect skis from theft?

Poster: A snowHead
I must have too much time on my hands.....
We hear all the time of ski thefts from outside restaurants, balconies and even ski lockers. The press and lock manufacturers report > 80,000 skis and boards stolen each year.

Looking back through the forums then there's doesn't appear to be a week go by without a snowHead or someone they know loosing their skis

Surely with present day technology there must be a way of 'tagging' skis and having scanning points in resorts. hese could be placed in lift queues, even resort entrances and then policed.

Modern ski passes have technology embedded why not skis? Remember, not so many years ago we used paper\card lift passes that had to be manually checked. These evolved through punch cards, bar codes and magnetic strips (still used in some resorts) to the modern multi resort passes. You can even encode some models of watches with your ski pass details.

It may not deal with organised gangs but the casual theft could be stopped as the skis would not be able to be used on lifts or taken out of the gated area.

Our company looked at using RFID on products being supplied to store and it was pence per item. Even bulk movements of stock are logged, 1000's of items at a time. This technology is already used in distribution for items worth just a few £'s.

There will be lots of reasons why it won’t work; it may not even be practical. It wouldn’t happen overnight either, but if the issues could be resolved then it may be possible to have reduced insurance premiums.

I suspect it may not even be it the ski manufacturers interest as, if skis continue to be stolen, they have a ready market for new purchases. Until this targeted we should all take more care and either, lock, split or never let them out of your sight.

As I said, I’ve too much time on my hands......
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having been a victim of this this at xmas and lost a touring setup worth £500 I can relate too the topic.

However I think you just have to laugh about it,Put it down too experiance and learn from it.

Was it my own fault I lost the set up ,Yes now thinking about it,I dropped my gaurd and left them where in hind sight I should have known better not too.

I think the tagging system will never work I mean what are you going to tag ? The ski's ? The bindings ? ,What If I sold them,Bought them second hand etc etc.I think it would be a nightmare too get running and a legal nightmare to enforce.The lift opo's and local police will never want to get involved ( They dont want too know even when you report the theft)

A tracking GPS system I suspect would cost too much.

Ski locks are im afraid useless to the organised thief or anyone with a pair is snips and seperating the ski's a restaurants etc I mean christ whats that going to do delay them finding the other one 5 minutes at most.

Bottom line is expensive ski's will go walkies if you dont look after them what ever system you have in place.

Just my 2 pence worth bieng the first too work as usual ! Sad

Regards Mark
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does a lock act as a deterrant or suggest the locked skis are worth nicking?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
is there a case for companies to start selling fugly skis to act as a deterrant? i.e. they may look fugly, but they're really good. (some would say that having a set of skis is deterrant enough to someone who has taste! NehNeh )
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just seen this following a seach:-

Quote:
Near Field Communication is here to help Surprisingly, NFC is the technology that proves to be incredibly useful to prevent ski theft, while still offering all the comfort you might want to have. The project Theft Deterrent System for Skis (TDS-S) is essentially about pairing the boot with the ski and doesnt let the thief step into the binding if the secure code doesnt match.

This is done by putting an MIFARE-tag into the boot. A small RFID-module is inserted into the ski and connected to one of the new bindings that electronically control the operation of the binding like the Atomic Neox EBM. A Near Field Communication-enabled mobile phone or a PC is able to pair the boot with the ski. If anything else than the trusted boot steps into the binding, it refuses fastening and doesnt let the thief drive away with your skis.

The project is currently still in development - you can read more about it at symbianresources.com or the project homepage. The first prototype has already been published and managed to be among the winners of several global competitions the 1st Austrian NFC Developer Competition as well as the NFC Forum Global Competition. Who knows how much longer itll take until skis, which started out as simple wooden planks (The word ski meant a stick of wood in Old Norse) will finally turn into a product full of high tech.

This is dated Sept 08. It wouldn't stop them being carried away though, but maybe the security is such that it would make the criminal look some where else for an easier target. Thats primarily the advice given to me by the police following a break in at my house. Make them (criminals) look for an easier target.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly wrote:
It might make the casual \ opportuntist thief look somewhere else.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sherlock235 wrote:
is there a case for companies to start selling fugly skis to act as a deterrant? i.e. they may look fugly, but they're really good. (some would say that having a set of skis is deterrant enough to someone who has taste! NehNeh )

I remember a guy from North Staffs ski club had a pair of Rossignol 7S and he covered the top with a mixture of duct tape and primer to cover up the fact they were decent skis and put people off stealing them. We all thought he was nuts but judging by how many years he skied on them it must've been successful.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Moving slightly off-topic, a remote binding release system could be quite amusing, recreationally Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BMF_Skier wrote:
Butterfly wrote:
It might make the casual \ opportuntist thief look somewhere else.

What it will certainly do is to stop mistakes. How many thefts are in fact people picking up the wrong set of skis? When there are hundreds of identical hired sets, and you've had a couple too many at lunch, then the fact that the skis aren't yours, and are 400mm longer than yours might go un-noticed...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go free heel. . . nobody's going to ski off on a set of Tele-cables Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BMF_Skier wrote:
Can technology help protect skis from theft?

Yes. It most certainly can.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not sure anything can stop thieves if they really want them.
Not sure if I'm stating the obvious which everybody else already does; but to reduce the chance of thefts we always swap one ski with someone else and store them in different parts of the ski racks, at least it then makes it more obvious if someone if going to try to steal them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
I remember a guy from North Staffs ski club had a pair of Rossignol 7S and he covered the top with a mixture of duct tape and primer to cover up the fact they were decent skis and put people off stealing them. We all thought he was nuts but judging by how many years he skied on them it must've been successful.

Some people used to use that technique as far back as the mid-1970s, when I was instructing on Cairngorm. Skis are definitely stolen for their newness and quality of top surface looks. Some cyclists also use that approach, spraying the frame some horrendous colour!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Special squads should be set up. Valuable skis are left outside. As soon as they are seized a vigilante squad bursts out and seize the scum. A quick impromptu hanging and.... problem solved.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just got new skis so am intending to use a fairly substantial cable lock on them whilst they still look pristine. I still remember a biker getting a harsh sentence because he had beat the crap out of some vandal idiot he'd caught cutting though the brake lines on his bike. I would have taken that as severe provocation.
snow conditions
Ski passes are barcoded by and large so they can be used through the automatic lift gates. Lift pass could include two barcode stickers, like the swiss motorway vignette, which you stick on your skis. Barcode scanner could also be projected on the ground at the ski lift and a signal could match the barcodes from the skis and the pass. No match, no lift and lifty pulls you out for explanation or to hand you over to the fuzz.
snow conditions
BMF_Skier, I'd thank you to come up with your own ideas if you are going to start threads on subjects Razz Razz

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44604#1069037
ski holidays
hey no crook could make it past my GCSE electronics project

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5555121&id=695295018#/photo.php?pid=5555121&id=695295018

Well i say no crook, it had some problems Blush
snow conditions
BTW, I've copyrighted AND patented that idea Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
halfhand, got me my A* tho so whos complaining! as long as i get 2 weeks a year in your chalet in les arcs you will buy with profit!
snow conditions
If you could make sure you had your skis propped up well enough that they wouldn't fall or be moved to make space for another set I wonder if they could be fitted with a mercury level switch that would emit a loud noise when triggered by movement thus warning the owners - the trouble might be maintaining the batteries in the cold environment.
snow report
I have a pair of my skis RFID tagged, an alarm sounds if they move out of range of the receiver unit in my pocket. I have the loc8tor, you can get them for around 40 quid on ebay.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/articleview/3012/1/1/
ski holidays
Megamum, that is exactly what it had, plus a vibration sensor, but as long as the skis wernt tipped by more than 40 degrees or moved suddenly the alarm didnt go off!!! it was something to evaluate at least!
ski holidays
davidof, intresting idea but possibly a waste of time as security Confused

Imagine sat having your lunch in a decent mouintain restaurant. Suddenly your alarm goes off in your pocket, you rush outside, just as some person skis off down the mountain on your skis Shocked how does it help you getting them back Puzzled By the time you are back in the village they are long gone Madeye-Smiley

The scroat then checks the skis finds the RFID taped on and removes it Smile
snow report
Bones, araldite and the chips are TINY and could be anywhere out of view.
ski holidays
BMF_Skier wrote:
Our company looked at using RFID on products being supplied to store and it was pence per item. Even bulk movements of stock are logged, 1000's of items at a time. This technology is already used in distribution for items worth just a few £'s.

The tags cost next to nothing but then you have to put a network in place that completly covers the whole resort. The TAG has to 'break' a network to be found. Way to much money. Easy in a shop where there are defined entrances and exits but not so easy on a ski slope....... Confused
ski holidays
If in a "dodgy location" I swap a ski with whoever I'm skiing with and then we put both odd sets at other ends of the ski area..... someone's really going to have to search for a matching pair.............. not technology I know but I've never lost a set (runs off to touch wood)
snow report
jwhiteley1, Well done you Toofy Grin I don't have a chalet in Les Arc Crying or Very sad but I know someone who does Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just bought my first pair of ski's after many years of renting...won't be letting them out of my sight...Better read my insurance to see where they are covered. It they were stolen from a ski rack while inside lunching would they be covered? Puzzled
ski holidays
Trumpton, probably not. Insurance is designed to compensate you for the unforseen. Having unattended skis nicked is a very forseeable event.
latest report
When I am in charge I will introduce a scheme whereby anyone caught in possession of stolen skis will be castrated using the edges of said skis. Twisted Evil
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
When I am in charge I will introduce a scheme whereby anyone caught in possession of stolen skis will be castrated using the edges of said skis. Twisted Evil

Prior to that they are forced to sit on a bench right in front of the restaurant where they attempted to steal the aforementioned skis. A length of fishing line is tied to the lower buckle on their ski boots. The other end (once their legs are extended and resting on a stool) is tied off to a fish hook, which is then inserted behind their eyes. The stool is then removed. As long as they can keep their legs extended then their eyesight is safe. Once their aching muscles have given out and their eyes have been ripped from their sockets they then have their ear drums burst with a neat blast from an unloaded air pistol to ensure that no one can verbally assist them. Then the castration, or pine cone insertion if they are female can occur. Whatever the sex... a length of conifer trunk with cut off backwards pointing branches is inserted forcibly into the anus to ensure a long lingering death from bowel perforation. They are then cast out upon the mountain to die from exposure as they are unable to find their way home. No one will help them as they are obviously ski thieves.

I'm sorry for being so soft on them Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 17-01-09 23:28; edited 6 times in total
snow report
lizzard...Wow..That is one way of doing it. Bit extreme, but I am sure alot of people would agree. To be honest I hate people that do that. Should at least stick them in the stocks. I have only owned my skis a few hours and will not be letting mine out of my sight and will be buying a lock before heading off to Ischgl next weekend. Going to stick them in a locker every night at a shop I think.. Cool
snow conditions
Scarpa PS... they take longer to die when the weather is warmer.
ski holidays
only if shotguns count
latest report
edsilva, A barrel behind each kneecap... at the top of a black mogul field Twisted Evil
snow conditions
So what insurance company offers the best cover. In between watching Match of the Day and reading my insurance policy, very sad I know (and I mean reading the policy), I find I do not have as much cover on my skis as I assumed... Some parts are down to Interpretation...as in "taking resonable care" etc... A nice get out clause for insurance companies.. Better sleepwith them in my bed and skip having lunch!!! hahah.. Razz
ski holidays
Trumpton, Get an old ski lock and cut in half - carry with you at all times when skiing Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy